• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] My Story

vino1105

Hello,

I would love to hear your story but heres my story:

It all started 5 days ago...when I received my first 2x2. I looked at this thing with exitement and confidence with its puny size and 4 cubies, I thought I could easily solve it and I did, It took me one day to solve it in beginners method, and got an average of 45. The next day I found out this 'Ortega' Method, which I'm to this point still trying to master. I have around a 14 sec. average and a pb of 4.84 which is amazing for me but I am trying to break the sub 10 average. I felt like this cube was stopping me from getting a sub 10 average, so I did some research ended up buying the Moyu Lingpo over than the Dayan, which I'm unsure about my choice. This is when I started to get even more into speedcubing. I've watched countless videos about cubing in the past days and still watching. As most of you guys, I have a Rubiks brand cube, and I've had it for years, but never bothered to learn how to solve it, only one side. When I turned it, well as expected it was just terrible comparing to the new speedcubing cubes that I see in videos. So a couple days ago, I learned how to solve it in beginners method and got a pb of 2 minutes and during the learning process of the 3x3, I lubed my 2x2 and it turned to trash. I dont even know what brand my 2x2 is... but that lube killed the speed. So I have to wait a month for that Lingpo, so now I have 2 slow cubes. But today, I made a decision between the Dayan Zanchi and the Moyo Aulong v2, and got the Moyo. This time I'm getting this in 2-3 days,hopefully. Currently, I am learning how to do the f2l more effieciently, since I do that move slow. Later, my goal is to learn how to solve a 4x4, solve a 2x2 and a 3x3 blindfold and maybe learn other puzzles like the skewb. Well, that is my experience with cubing the last 5 days. Any tips, suggestions, comments is highly appreciated. Thanks, and I am glad to be part of the community.

Question:
Is there a thread where I can post to find out what 2x2 I am using? I found the thread, but I can't seem to post my pictures.

I am now learning the oll and pll for 3x3.Anyone know where I can start with learning these?

Last edited:

Praetorian

YouTube
Visit Channel
noice story, welcome buddy, and I'm pretty sure theres a thread where you can post a picture and someone there will identify it, If you want you could post a pic and I can try and tell you what it is

anyway, welcome to the forums

GoranRC

YouTube
Visit Channel
Haha! Love the idea!

Here is my story:
It started around 4-6 months ago. At that time, i knew what a Rubik's cube was, but didn't know anything about it. Didn't know there was competitions, didnt know how it works, didn't know there were all kinds of other cubes. Somehow, it got to the idea of Rubik's cube. And my dad said "When i was a kid, i played with it. It becomes really fun once you know how to solve it". At that time I was wondering what to do, what game to play, So as soon as i heard my dad say it, i asked him to buy me one from wallmart. He did. I got it, and didn't know what to do with it. didn't know how to solve it.
We went to Bulgaria (My home country) For the summer. Where i got a little into it. I decided to watch a video on how to solve it. I watched dan browns video. I actually tried before, but everytime i tried, it didn't work. I followed every step he said! After 1-2 days, I went outside to play soccer with my friends, and i had my cube with me. I saw a guy that does cubing and showed him my cube. I was like, " Hey, i try to solve it, can you help me". He looked at the cube a bit. Started solving it and said. "Dude, your cube is not assembled correctly." He took it apart put it back on, and it was solved. Then i went home, and decided to do it again. I watched dan brown's video again. I stayed up ALL night! And I tried tons of times, but it was always 1 cubie the wrong way. Finnaly i solved my cube for the first time. I kept on solving it, and found out a bit more about cubing. Around a month after, i bought my first speed cube (Dayan GuHong V1) . I recieved it on the mail, and was happy with it. I kept on cubing, and i started getting pretty good.
Now, 3-4 after, (2-3 weeks ago) I decided to buy a new cube, since i saw DayanGuhong V2 was out, i didnt know about. Plus, mine kept on popping. I got the Dayan GuHong V2, lubed it, watching videos, and yeah. I thought i would try my first competition so i signed up for Nisei week 2015. Then i bought a 2x2 to see what's up. Now, I'm having fun cubing, since i found this forum 1-2 weeks ago!

WCA
2013BARK01
Welcome! I'm gonna post my story now because why not:

April 2012: I picked up a cube, and remembered that I had a book on how to solve it. I had trouble figuring out what it meant, because I didn't know where to start. My dad helped me learn the notation and showed me some of what it meant.
May 2012: I knew how to do the F2L completely without help from the book. I could finish the cube if I used the contained LL algorithms.
June 2012: I worked on learning algs. By then I had started really caring and working on it a lot more. I would do my first solve soon, given that I had more time after just leaving 3rd grade.
June 24, 2012: I was on vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks (We go there annually in June with our extended family). That night, I had done many solves without the book. The last solve before I went to bed, I got to CP (it was a weird LL system that made it hard to transition to 4LLL, EOEPCOCP), which was the last thing I needed to learn. I was about to open the book. Then, I decided not to and tried the algorithm from memory. I got it right. (It was an Ab perm, x R2 D2 R U R' D2 R U' R.) I don't count this as my first solve because I had looked at the algorithm from the book before, and then solved the case. I don't remember exactly what happened that night, but I know it was a very significant achievement, whatever it was.
June 25, 2012: The next morning, I got up and picked up a cube. I scrambled it, and then solved it. My first full solve. I did it again. Later, I timed myself for the first time with some people watching. It was around 7:15. My times quickly dropped, and I got down to 3:00 by the end of the vacation.
Late June, 2012: I found an old Rubik's 4x4 that was in my closet, and with the help of the book I solved it. I didn't get around to memorizing the parity algorithms for a while.
July 7, 2012: For my half birthday someone gave me a crappy Rubik's 2x2. It was targeted towards very young children and had silly stickers, which I forgot exactly what they were.
A few days later: My cubesmith order arrived, and I restickered the 2x2 with normal stickers.
I forgot exactly when: I decided to sit down and learn the 4x4 parity algorithms.
August, 2012: I got a QJ tiled 4x4 (which was really bad but much better than my Rubik's brand), a QJ megaminx, a QJ pyraminx, both tiled, and a stickered QJ 5x5. I don't remember the exact dates of these.
October, 2012: I got a LanLan 3x3, which became my main. I also ended up with a LanLan 2x2 at some point.
November, 2012: I switched to a Dayan Zhanchi.
December 2012: I got many cubes for Christmas, including a SS 4x4, SS 5x5, and a stickerless Zhanchi.
January, 2013: I got more cubes for my birthday. I also got something that would be the reason that I'm not sub-10 right now: a Minecraft account.
February, 2013: I got a 3x3 PB of 17 seconds. I also signed up for a cubing competition, UIUC Spring 2013. I built a Rubik's Cube in Minecraft, like just about every cuber who plays Minecraft.
March 30, 2013: I went to my first competition. It was awesome. I actually did pretty well for me at the time. I made the second round of 3x3, my best average was sub-27, and I got a 5.80 2x2 single. If you care, check my WCA profile.
April, 2013: Minecraft stole my life. Skip ahead 13 months.
May, 2014: My family went to Costa Rica. I brought a Zhanchi on the plane to pass time (my average shot back up to 45) and I lost it. Why do people lose Zhanchis so much?
Later, we were at a place with WiFi, and I was curious about cubing again because of losing the Zhanchi. I checked the WCA competition page. My mom said that she would take me to Indiana 2014 if I actually practiced (anything to get me away from MC, at the time lol)
August 23, 2014: I went to Indiana for a competition. I had beaten my PB, which became around 14 seconds, and I had gotten back down to my old average and then passed it up. I competed in 3x3, 2x2, 4x4, Pyraminx, and 6x6, all of which I beat my OPB on (well I had never done pyraminx before). Two of my Pyraminx times were the same down to the millisecond. They were the first two solves, and were 16.439s. My 3x3 average was 20.68. I was REALLY back into cubing this time, and I refused to let the MC curse fall over me again. I was one week into 6th grade, and was obviously very excited about my upcoming comp, so everyone knew about it.
November 1, 2014: I went to a competition on the day after Halloween. I completely forgot about that until I noticed the free candy they were giving out at where we ate dinner on the way there. My dad took me to this one. I knew a lot more about speedcubing then, but there weren't that many well-known cubers there. I was, of course, sub-20, given over 2 months to improve from 20.68, and I even got a sub-17 average (16.98) in the second round. I was kinda proud of beating the delegate and the organizer in the same round with that average. I was 11th, so I didn't quite make the finals.
yada yada
I got some cubes for Christmas and my birthday.
I got an AoLong v2, switched to it.
Beat my PB with an 11.99(9). The best sub-12 single ever.
I had that PB for a few months, until...
March 28, 2015: I went to... definitely not a competition except yeah. (You can tell I'm getting a little bored but I'm almost done.) Many of the same people were there, but then there was also Chris Olson (thanks for not giving me a +2 on an OH solve that was my competition best and wouldn't have been) Kevin Hays (quit showing off. How do you turn that thing so fast?) and Kennan LeJune (why are you so awesome at cubing?) However on the way there, I beat my PB: 11.71. 5 minutes later, I beat it again: 11.57. Then, at the competition, in the second round of 3x3, I got a 15.03 average. If you actually checked my profile, you would have figured out that at the time my 11.90 was my 3rd best solve overall ever. If I hadn't been cubing in the car, it would have been my PB. I have a video on my stupid channel of that ao5.
March 30, 2015: I beat my PB again. And again. 10.43.
June 12, 2015: I got my first sub-10 single. I also got 3 other ones on other days. 9.56. That beat my PB of 10.12. I used COLL and got a PLL skip.
July 1, 2015: I average sub-14, and my PB is 9.21. I am a speedcuber so therefore I win. Bye that was stupidly long and I'm hungry.

vino1105

Welcome! I'm gonna post my story now because why not:

April 2012: I picked up a cube, .

I read all of that...Now I'm hungry too. But wow, thats impressive you remembered all of that and how you started in 3rd grade. I wished I started earlier but I feel like I learn fast anyway.

WCA
2013BARK01
I read all of that...Now I'm hungry too. But wow, thats impressive you remembered all of that and how you started in 3rd grade. I wished I started earlier but I feel like I learn fast anyway.

I've gotten funny comments related to being young and fast, like at one competition, I finished a solve, someone asked me "How old are you?" I replied "11" and they were like "Geez, you are 11, and you got a 15..."

CubeWizard23

WCA
2015GAMB02
YouTube
Visit Channel
As far as oll and pll go visit badmephisto.com and learn 2 look oll and 2 look pll, really perfect f2l before bothering with 2ll (1 look pll and oll). trust me with beginners lbl i was sub 30 so beginners is pretty good too. linpo is my main ao12: 8.xx pb 2.91

cya round the forums