• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is the most surprised you have been about a cube?

MaxB

What is the cube that has surprised you the most? Either better than you thought or worse than you thought. For me, the Zhanchi was my first cube after my Rubiks brand, so I was amazed by how fast it was. Also, my GuHong was really bad out of the box, almost unusable, but after I lubed it, it got much better. How about you guys?

SrujayP

The most apprised for me was Mr aolong v2 it was so day or I of box then I got used to my cube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SenorJuan

I was surprised how much fun the 3 x 3 x 1 floppy cube was. It's quite tactile and pleasing in the hand, the way it springs back into the flat shape as you turn it. A cheap one to add to your collection. It's a good puzzle to hand to a non-cuber, it's not so daunting. But they still struggle.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
AoLong v1. It was quite good, but I didn't expect the corner twists to be that bad. I'd been using a ShuangRen as my main for 11 months when I got it and I got a corner twist on my ShuangRen every week, maybe even less often than that. I'd heard the AoLong corner twisted - but people were always saying how much the ShuangRen twisted as well and I hadn't had a problem with that. But the AoLong twisted 3+ times a day, every day. It made it really hard to use, and I eventually switched back to my ShuangRen - though I still use my AoLong for OH since the outer layers are wider.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree with the AoLong V2 old batch. That was a major disappointment. Funny story: I didn't corner twist on the V1 at all, but I felt the need to buy the V2 even though I hate buying new 3x3s if I don't think they'll be much better. But I bought it for some reason, and it was so annoyingly slow. Even though I know the new batch is good, I still picture a horrible cube when I hear "AoLong V2." Also, the DaYan GuHong V1 stickerless was my first speedcube, and I was amazed by its quality. I had never even felt anything other than a Rubik's brand at that point, so you can imagine my amazement.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
I would say my Lanlan skewb. Mine came on super tight tensions, but I didn't know how to tension it at the time so it continued to turn like crap. When I finally got round to tension it, it popped so much that I just gave up on it and got a moyu. I was really disappointed with it especially after seeing some people's lanlans turning so well.

hkpnkp

the thing that surprised me was the YJ guanLong. It was super cheap (only 2 dollars) along with great performance.

molarmanful

WCA
2015PANG02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guangying. There were some bad reviews I saw AFTER buying the cube, but I truly don't know why those are popping up. For me, my Guangying was perfect out of the box: superfast and smooth. It was amazing! Now it's my main, just in time to retire my worn-out Aolong V2.

nvpendsey

1) You cant turn individual corners in skewb.:(
2) Gans 356 is not a size change (only).I actually bought the Gans 357 after 356 was released.:(
3) Shengshou makes awesome cubes.(4x4 and 5x5) and
4) Shengshou seriously needs to start florian modding there cubes.

hkpnkp

Gans 356, it felt great out of the box and got even better after lubing it but I just can't get my normal times with it.

Same here. The cube is super fast but im not getting the times that i used to get with my old zhanchi. Kind of weird right ? :confused: