• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Need help understanding F2L and help with finger-tricks

deoxyribose

I'm not relatively 'new' to cubing, but I just need help on doing F2L and fixing my odd fingertricks.
First issue:
I'm so confused with F2L, I really just need a "for dummies" explanation of F2L, because I don't want to learn 25+ algorithms, but I just need a few to do the entire F2L, like 4 or 5. I've been using a self-modified version of the Beginner's Method, using these steps:
1. Trial and error solve white side (seek for corners)
2. Solve second layer using U R U' R' U' F' U F / U' L' U L U F U' F' to place edges
3. Solve yellow cross using F R U R' U' F' (repeated)
4. Place yellow corners by R U R' U R U2 / L' U' L U' L' U2 (repeated)
5. Modified PLL having only three algorithms: R U' R U R U R U' R' U' R2 / M2 U M2 U M U2 M2 U2 M / x R2 D2 R U R' D2 R U' [<cube not solved> R' R2 D2 R U R' D2
Second issue:
Some of my finger tricks are weird.
U': Thumb pushes on red spot.
imagecube-6.png
F: Index finger pushes on red spot.
imagecube-7.png
F': Thumb pushes up on bottom side of corner highlighted in green.
imagecube-8.png

I'm just looking for some help with these things, thanks!

Praetorian

YouTube
Visit Channel
fingertricks aren't weird I use those

uh..your sort of beginners method is strange and seems inefficient,

the way I learned F2L was watching example solves of fast people and hearing explanations of F2L from different point of views, most of which just tell you to learn the common triggers (R U R' U') -sexy move- (U R U' R') -inverse sexy- and (R' F R F') -sledgehammer- all of you which you can experiment on different F2L cases to see what result your get

basically you're trying to get two pieces in one of two target positions and then place them into the correct slot which can be:

pair - http://gyazo.com/10a507993afcf373a7cf7d7cd879e65e (can be solved with U R U' R')

or insert - http://gyazo.com/f5dea74301929049f1a5815282da4b0d (can be solved with R U R')

just play around and eventually you'll get to a point where it just clicks and then you have knowledge to work with, the rest is practice and getting past problems you might encounter

also try to learn these triggers from different angles for instance R U R' U' can be mirrored as L' U' L U for left side inserts

good luck hope I helped

Last edited:

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
F2L boils down to 2 cases:

1) The corner and edge have the same color facing up.

2) The corner and edge have opposite colors facing up.

If one or both of the pair are not in the top layer, you need to move it there.

In case 1, you need to connect the corner and edge and insert the block into the slot.

In case 2, you place the corner and edge opposite each other and connect and insert them in one step.

A good way to get a feel for this is to work through a bunch of F2L algorithms. Don't memorize them. Focus on how they ultimately boil down to the 2 possible cases and how it sets up the pair for insertion.

Be aware that some F2L algorithms are exceptions to the 2 cases. Ignore them for now. You can come back to them later if you want to go into advanced F2L.

SenorJuan

I think the Original Poster is referring to the First Two Layers when he says F2L, rather than 'Fridrich four slots'.
If deox wants to keep it simple, I suggest completing the first layer apart from one corner-piece, then use the 'keyhole' method to solve 3 of the middle layer edges. Position the unsolved corner 'under' the second layer slot, and use simple algorithms like RU'R' , F'UF to place the middle layer edge.

supercube

YouTube
Visit Channel
F2L boils down to 2 cases:

1) The corner and edge have the same color facing up.

2) The corner and edge have opposite colors facing up.

or 3) none of the above. corner in top layer white sticker UP. this is the worse case scenario. the good news is that you can sometimes fix it in 1 move with R (or any LRFB move) if you can integrate it into another algorithm that starts with R but no significant pieces are moved by the first R.

hkpnkp

watch f2l tutorial from badmephisto's youtube channel. I too didn't understand it first. then i watched the video around 3 times and it all just clicked.

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
or 3) none of the above. corner in top layer white sticker UP. this is the worse case scenario. the good news is that you can sometimes fix it in 1 move with R (or any LRFB move) if you can integrate it into another algorithm that starts with R but no significant pieces are moved by the first R.

If the white sticker is up, you set it up as the first case and insert the block.

AA13

F2l does seem confusing at first, eventually it just clicks. The entire idea is to create pairs, which are matching corner and edge pieces and inserting them. You use the top layer to move pieces around, and empty slot to hide pieces in.
a pair would look like this: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...PqUvFlf0qv4iEPEgIzjlIhx2eTK9QI19hh_5Ol211-qig
basic cases: If both pieces are in the top layer and oriented correctly:the color facing up on the corner is the same as on the edge, hide the corner with a move that puts an empty slot in the top layer, and bring the corner back up. pair is created.
To insert pair: Say the white on the pair is facing left. line the pair up over the two colors with white facing you, do U R U' R' . Te pair should be inserted . The other way is use sledgehammer.
Sorry if myy explanation didn't help.. try watching youtube videos.

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
in regard to fingertricks, do whatever seems natural.
also, lefty U2

I agree with this to a point. But there were some surprisingly basic techniques that took me a long time to nail down.

Watching videos of fast cubers, especially slower walkthru solvers, is a really good way to learn how to finger tricks certain algs/cases.. then deliberately practicing them.