• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Some ways to prevent cube theft (Recognise your cube better)

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello all. After seeing the video by Chris on cube theft, here are some of the solutions that I found.

Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

mDiPalma

Last edited by a moderator:

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
And I thought that single-sticker defects (like rotations) gave competitors an advantage in speed and blindsolving (the ability to identify hidden stickers without rotating the cube), but I can't seem to find the regulation.
Regulation 3j): "Puzzles must be clean, and must not have any markings, elevated pieces, damage, or other differences that significantly distinguish any piece from a similar piece. Exception: a logo (see Regulation 3l)."

rock1t

Some are illegal for comp, and some others are: you just repeat the same thing, but with another object (like tape, paper, ..)

Eduard Khil

Duh each chip is like $20 something, but considering the price of Fisher puzzles theyre worth it

Or just get a green zhanchi.

pdilla

...easiest way is probably using note inside of a piece with name on it.

A note in a particular edge piece, or something, does seem to be the best idea overall. Especially when all of your cubes have the same note in the same piece, it'll be easy to show that the cube belongs to you...

thieves just check all the pieces for notes...

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
The vast majority of cube 'theft' in my experience is because people grab the wrong cube and take it with them ACCIDENTALLY. I only got half way through but with the exception of changing the colour scheme and personalised logos none of the ideas I got through would be effective.

Also, clean your cube!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myachii

WCA
2013MORR03
YouTube
Visit Channel
A note in a particular edge piece, or something, does seem to be the best idea overall. Especially when all of your cubes have the same note in the same piece, it'll be easy to show that the cube belongs to you...

thieves just check all the pieces for notes...

Very time consuming. What if somebody wants to steal your prize winning 7x7? Good luck finding the paper in there.

The vast majority of cube 'theft' in my experience is because people grab the wrong cube and take it with them ACCIDENTALLY. I only got half way through but with the exception of changing the colour scheme and personalised logos none of the ideas I got through would be effective.

I use personalised logos to prevent accidental theft. If I ask somebody if they have my cube and it's got my logo on it, then it was obviously an accident. If I see an AoLong with no logo (or dirt around a logo that used to be there), I will ask to open a piece and if I find my paper then he will be reported.

I suggest all to do all three of these if possible-
- Personalised Logo. Even if you just draw a happy face on the white centre (I'm pretty sure that doesn't break any regs), it still makes it obvious that cube is yours and nobody elses.
- Paper in your cube. Write a bunch of notes, with your name on them. You could also add your phone number or email. That way if somebody accidentally takes your cube and it doesn't have a personal logo, when they come to disassemble it to modify it or clean it or lube it, they'll find your paper and if they're a good egg they'll contact you and you can get it back.
- Scratches. Under a centre cap, scratch a diagonal line or another line with a knife. This is because the paper is easily found and discarded if the thief is experienced. The scratch, however, is permanent.

Last edited: