• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How I devised my own Rubik's Cube method in 1980

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
I am repeatedly asked about my solving method so I decided to make a video explaining it. The method has no place in the speedcubing world but it might help people come up with their own solution or part solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

SenorJuan

I've been cubing since 1980, and only know 3 people from that time who devised their own method. All 3 of them came up with a corner-first method, despite the fact that nearly everyone (including me) tried to solve it the 'most obvious' way, layer-by-layer. The fact that there were LBL solutions being passed around (supposedly "Russian") meant that, even then, people were content to simply speedcube.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like it.

I remember the days of solving one side and very occasionally fluking another, usually adjacent, side. I don't know anyone who got further than that but we were only 9.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm gonna learn this method.
Use a similar approach to create your own. It's incredibly satisfying and you can usually adapt it for other puzzles because you are understanding the logic behind the moves. If you're only interest however is getting faster then it's highly unlikely you would discover anything to help that.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have looked up the Roux method and it is very different to mine. Apart from a short time when a side and middle row is being used I don't see much similarity.

First layer=inneficient block
Last layer corners=cmll and beginning of second block
Placing of last layer/block edges using U2 R2 and then M moves= finishing second block using LR edges technique
Finishing M layer=edge permutation without first orienting them.

It is still a little different, but I think roux just did things in a different order, which constrained less movements of the cube. (eg. Doing opposite blocks instead of layers) and finishing with 2 gen MU that (in almost all cases) doesnt lead to that disgusting 2-flip.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel