• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How I devised my own Rubik's Cube method in 1980

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for sharing your method.

The algorithm you created to flip the two edges at the end is a commutator indeed:
B E B2 E2 B U2 B' E2 B2 E' B' U2 = [B E B2 E2 B, U2].

I enjoyed how you explained your thought process regarding the trial and error you did to slowly develop each stage of your method as well.

This mental process reminds me of a "derivation" I came up with of the Nikolas commutator, which I show in one of my solving guides that variations of which can twist corners and flip edges in addition to cycling them.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's funny that this got posted recently, as some of us went to visit Jeff Varasano (WR holder in 1981, US Nationals Runner-Up to Minh Thai) in his Atlanta restaurant after Peach State 2015, and the method he developed in 1980 is incredibly reminiscent of this, at least the finish. His start was just doing the "Ortega" method to get all of the corners -- I use quotes because it should really be called the Varasano method! -- then solved edges on opposite layers to get to the same last four edges in the middle layer as you.

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's funny that this got posted recently, as some of us went to visit Jeff Varasano (WR holder in 1981, US Nationals Runner-Up to Minh Thai) in his Atlanta restaurant after Peach State 2015, and the method he developed in 1980 is incredibly reminiscent of this, at least the finish. His start was just doing the "Ortega" method to get all of the corners -- I use quotes because it should really be called the Varasano method! -- then solved edges on opposite layers to get to the same last four edges in the middle layer as you.
That's cool, how fast is he nowadays?

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for sharing Tony, it was an interesting video. Well done on working the cube out for yourself, I didn't have the patience to figure it out when I was a kid back in the 80's!

Like others have said the method is akin to the Waterman method but without all of the algorithms. The Waterman method was an inspiration for Roux but your method definitely resembles the steps of Waterman.

Mark Waterman came up with his method using similar logic to your own. The history of his method can be found online and he highlights three principles that you also described in your video:

http://rubikscube.info/waterman/index.php

First: I found the corners of the U-face difficult to solve, so I decided that you have more freedom if you can neglect the M-ring.

Second: If you take out one corner from the D-face and put it back in an other way, something will change. So I found one process to solve the U- corners using only this! (I turned the whole cube, so that D becomes L)

Third: I found out that, after turning U2 R2, you have a lot of freedom to move edges.

Tony Fisher

YouTube
Visit Channel
Since people seemed to like the video I have now done one explaining how I dealt with parity on the 4x4x4. Once again this is more of an insight into the logic of creating solutions (not a speedcubing one) and not an actual tutorial. I added it here because it doesn't really warrant starting a new thread.

Last edited by a moderator: