• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How has speedcubing developed over the past 3 - 4 years?

AndyRoo789

Premium Member
I kind of dropped speedcubing as a hobby a few years back. I still keep a cube on my desk and I'll pick it up every now and then to do a solve. I use the Fridrich/CFOP method, with 2 look OLL and full PLL (minus a few I've forgotten). I don't even know what cube I use anymore, I think it's an F2?

Anyway, lately I've been pretty bored and I want to pick up speedcubing again. Help me get up to date, what are some big things I've missed in the past few years?

is faz still da king

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I kind of dropped speedcubing as a hobby a few years back. I still keep a cube on my desk and I'll pick it up every now and then to do a solve. I use the Fridrich/CFOP method, with 2 look OLL and full PLL (minus a few I've forgotten). I don't even know what cube I use anymore, I think it's an F2?

Anyway, lately I've been pretty bored and I want to pick up speedcubing again. Help me get up to date, what are some big things I've missed in the past few years?

is faz still da king

A company called MoYu took over the cubing industry. Collin burns got the WR 3x3 single a little while ago. Faz still has 5x5 wrs and 3x3 avg
EDIT: and OH single

Last edited:

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's a lot of 3x3's to choose from now, like, a lot a lot, so if you're looking to upgrade try not to get too overwhelmed. Also NSW comps are a thing now (You just missed a 2 day one in Canberra and a 1 day comp in Sydney, but there's going to be one in Newcastle at the end of June).

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
The only Dayan cube that fast people still use is the 2x2

The aosu came into existence.

The Wei/ao/hualong are pretty nice.

EDIT: also a few people are using my profile pic for reasons

Rikane

WCA
2009CHAN17
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm in the same situation as you. I stopped in early 2010, averaged about 21 sec. with CFOP (1.5 look OLL/full PLL) now I'm looking at 28 seconds average. I started up again earlier this week. Welcome back!

BicycleBears

WCA
2015DJOR01
There are loads of better cubes/puzzles than there were before, they're much faster and easier to move. As previously said, most WRs were broken too.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Faz is still considered the fastest but many people are catching up.
Also a ton of new puzzles are out, most 3x3s that come out these days all corner cut a lot, don't lock a lot, and are very hard to pop so its all down to personal preference.
the top manufacturers these days are Moyu/Congs design/YJ, and Gans. Shengshou, Qiyi, Yuxin and Fangshi also have some good cubes.

MM99

Faz is on another level with what he's done unofficially it's only a matter of time before it shows in comp again IMO