• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Seven Towns Infringement on eBay - All of EU

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Although they're certainly within their legal rights to do this, it's pretty disgusting, and I hope someone at SevenTowns realizes the effect this has.

For a while, it was very common to buy cubes as DIY kits - bags of pieces with separate stickers - so as not to run afoul of any trademarks... maybe someday that will have to come back.

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a stupid loophole idea, but could you just sell something like a "Lubix's cube store coupon for (insert cube name here)" and sell that? Technically it wouldn't be selling the actual product which seven towns claim to be an infringement, but kind of still selling the actual product.

cashis

This is a stupid loophole idea, but could you just sell something like a "Lubix's cube store coupon for (insert cube name here)" and sell that? Technically it wouldn't be selling the actual product which seven towns claim to be an infringement, but kind of still selling the actual product.
I laughed at this, but it could work

mDiPalma

Notice how it says vague terms such as "any".

Explain to me again how "any" is a vague word.

"Mom, can I buy the Twizzlers?"

"No Brian, you can't buy ANY candy."

That's about as un-vague as you can get, bro.

I wrote you a poem:

Hey man, imma tell u soz'
'cause 7towns has many flaws,
but at least they don't break laws.
This kitten has cute paws.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel

I wrote you a poem:

'Any' is vague.
Thats a small kitten.

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04

I wrote you a poem:

It is all about context sure in the example you just provided "any" was not a vague term. But if I altered the same example "any"becomes extremly vague.

"Mom, can I buy the Twizzlers."
"Yes, Brian. You can have any candy you want."
In that example the word "any" is vague because it refers to every candy in existence, but not any one spefically, which is seemingly endless.

mDiPalma

'Any' is vague.

But if I altered the same example "any"becomes extremly vague.

The RUBIK’S CUBE® in its three dimensional form and any graphic or
photographic representation of it, in any configuration, coloured or
uncoloured, whether or not it carries the RUBIK’S CUBE® name or logo, is
protected by intellectual property laws throughout the world.

It clearly says that ANY physical cube and ANY graphic representations are protected by intellectual property.

There is no ambiguity. It isn't vague. It's explicit.

Here is what it would look like if it were "vague":

A cube in some various forms,
in several configurations, possibly coloured,
with special consideration taken if it carries a relevant name or logo, might potentially be
protected by some laws throughout parts of the world in some cases.

yes? :tu ?

edit: i think the word you're looking for is "comprehensive" or "inclusive." Those qualities are necessary in regulations to protect intellectual property. Otherwise the law serves no purpose

Last edited:

Phinagin

WCA
2015PATT04
It clearly says that ANY physical cube and ANY graphic representations are protected by intellectual property.

There is no ambiguity. It isn't vague. It's explicit.

Wait would that mean that my cubic tissue box is protected by intellectual property of Seven Towns? I do not know because of the vagueness of ANY. Likewise is a picture of my tissue box protected,by intellectual property of Seven Towns?

mDiPalma

Wait would that mean that my cubic tissue box is protected by intellectual property of Seven Towns? I do not know because of the vagueness of ANY. Likewise is a picture of my tissue box protected,by intellectual property of Seven Towns?

No.

Technically, if I were to take a sh** (any color), mush it into the shape of a cube (3x3x3) with or without Rubik's logo, (perhaps my own pea logo) they would be obligated to destroy it upon point of entry into the EU. As snide as that sounds... that's actually literally what they are saying. Think about that.

And no.

see this http://www.dw.de/rubiks-cube-trademark-puzzle-solved-by-eu-court/a-18084817

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
rubiks should focus on making products that are higher quality than the competitors than focusing on preventing the sales of the competitors. All they are doing is
ruining their reputation in the cubing community even more. this isn't the first time they have done this either.

darckhitet

Banned
Well this sucks because i was about to buy some lubix cubes when i notice most of them are gone now i come here and see this, it's just ridiculous like what do they want? companies are trying to make what you can't do and you do this seven towns?

pdilla

The RUBIK’S CUBE® in its three dimensional form and any graphic or
photographic representation of it, in any configuration, coloured or
uncoloured, whether or not it carries the RUBIK’S CUBE® name or logo, is
protected by intellectual property laws throughout the world.

The word "any" is in reference to the configuration and color of the cube. The subject is explicitly a Rubik's Cube. There is no ambiguity that allows your tissue box into play.

Last edited: