• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Interest for a Kansas City comp on August 8th (one week after US Nationals)

Would you come?

• I would go

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • I would not go (because of nats)

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I would not go (because of other scheduling issues)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would not go (because of other issues)

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m looking at organizing a competition in Kansas city on the 8th of August. The one problem is it’s one week after nats. I want to do it before summer break ends but I don't want to be on top of nats. So my question is would you come? Would you come if it wasn’t for nats? If enough people say they would come if it wasn’t for nats I will organize it a bit later but it would be after school starts again which is not ideal. Any other thoughts?

D

Deleted member 19792

Some people are still up to going to a competition after Nationals. Also, people that didn't go to Nationals would most likely go to yours. Keep going for it.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dan and I are still thinking of doing one on either August 14th or 21st, but he is a little unsure if Phi will still be cubing then or not, so since he doesn't know yet we may or may not have it. We're having a meetup tomorrow and I'll talk to him about it. I have always wanted to do one so if Phi loses interest in cubing I will still try to do it myself. Since there isn't anything planned for ours yet and with yours kind of overlapping now we'd problem move the date back to late September if that's ok with Dan.

I think it's awesome that you are thinking of setting one up too now, the more KC comps the better because my parents don't really want to travel far to go to comps. Let me know if you want my help with anything.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because of my Dad's play, I won't be able to go to Nationals, but I would be able to go to this as long as my Dad is willing to drive! I'd love to come as long as it has 6x6.

I will definitely think about adding 6x6. I do kinda want it to be a bit of a smaller comp (I may add a competitor limit) If we have time to fill it will probably be added.

WCA
2013BARK01
Interested much but the OOP is real.

Code:
//CompetitionInterestDecider(String city, int month, int day, int year, boolean willBeatZachPascalar) { ... }
CompetitionInterestDecider c = new CompetitionInterestDecider("Kansas City, Missouri, USA", 8, 8, 2015, true);
System.out.println("Interest representation as percent: " + c.InterestAsFloat*100 + "%");

Output:
[HR][/HR]
100.000%
[HR][/HR]

My suggestions: 2x2-4x4, maybe 5x5 or 6x6, Pyra, and Skewb, Possibly OH but idc really, and the rest I really don't care about whatsoever.
This is just from my thoughts of organizing a competition (yeah, right. I'm like the least organized person ever) but here are my ideas for more specific things. I don't care about it that much though. Just suggestions:

2x2 and 3x3: 3 rounds, 2nd round top 20, final top 10
4x4: 1:15ish soft, 2:30ish hard
5x5: 2:30ish soft, 5:00ish hard
6x6: 5:00ish soft, 8:00ish hard
Pyra, Skewb, OH, etc: No comment

btw no nationals for me but maybe it's a good thing if this will be a competition because big competitions are hard to do at all decently in. Since it is the weekend after nationals, you would get a smaller turnout, but that isn't inherently bad. I could get <10th in 3x3 :p (I would expect a 14.0 to 14.5 average if I were to compete now, and I've got 2 and a half months. Also my PB Ao5 is not 14.16, my signature is outdated.)

Last edited:

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would go if it was in Kansas City, MO but probably not if it was in Kansas City, KS.

It will be in Raytown (KC MO)

Do you have a venue and/or a delagate for the competition yet?

Yep I have pretty much everything ready. Currently getting the formal ok from the venue but 99% sure I have it. Then the delegate just has to talk to the board and then it will be announced.

Last edited:
WCA
2013BARK01
Yep I have pretty much everything ready. Currently getting the formal ok from the venue but 99% sure I have it. Then the delegate just has to talk to the board and then it will be announced.

Ok then, assuming things go right, then I'm going. By the way, I looked up Raytown on Google Maps and it's less than 4 hours away from where I live. Pretty* convenient.
*Not super convenient :( but good enough :p

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Garrett, have you decided which events would take place in the competition yet? Sorry I'm being so impatient, but I'm soo curious.

Sorry Aussie I tried to fit in 6x6 but as it takes a while and a couple other reasons I was not able to fit it in. If we are ahead of schedule we may do 5x5 but 6x6 is out. If this comp goes well then maybe next year I will host a 2 day comp. If that happens then we will definitely have 6x6. (and I will have to refrain from turning your cubes :p Don't want to pop your cubes again)