• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Qiyi Thunderclap

Your thoughts on this cube

• Total voters

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews on the Qiyi Thunder clap
you may vote on the poll above and/or leave a review below

first impressions:
just received it today and did some untimed solves on it, so far it is really good. It's stable, fast and doesn't lock up at all. It feels light and smooth with a slight sandy crisp to it that will probably go away with breaking in. The stickers are very similar to Moyu shades, and it came with a bag too.

Full review:
The Qiyi Thunderclap is 9$ from TheCubicle.us.
It comes with a bag to store the cube in as well which is a neat touch.
This cube is super smooth, with very little bumpiness to the turns.
The cube is a very fast cube, and a little uncontrollable at times.
Corn cutting is over 45 and reverse is up to 2/3. 1/2 a cubie reverse is effertless. Locks and catches are minor but i still get some catches here and there. Many catches may be from inacurate turning though.
Pops don't happen. In the 500 solves I've done, it hasn't even come close to popping. I have had one corner twist though.
Its a bit light in weight and keeps its shape very well.
The only real negative I have about this cube is the center caps are fastened on a bit TOO well, I have not been able to take them off yet.

Grade: A+ Recommendation: Yes
This Cube Is extremely good. Its my new main and I highly recommend this, and for 9$ its really cheap too.

Last edited:

LiquidDnB

YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews on the Qiyi Thunder clap
you may vote on the poll above and/or leave a review below

first impressions:
just received it today and did some untimed solves on it, so far it is really good. It's stable, fast and doesn't lock up at all. It feels light and smooth with a slight sandy crisp to it that will probably go away with breaking in. The stickers are very similar to Moyu shades, and it came with a bag too.

Full review:
The Qiyi Thunderclap is 9$ from TheCubicle.us.
It comes with a bag to store the cube in as well which is a neat touch.
This cube is super smooth, with very little bumpiness to the turns.
The cube is a very fast cube, and a little uncontrollable at times.
Corn cutting is over 45 and reverse is up to 2/3. 1/2 a cubie reverse is effertless. Locks and catches are minor but i still get some catches here and there. Many catches may be from inacurate turning though.
Pops don't happen. In the 500 solves I've done, it hasn't even come close to popping. I have had one corner twist though.
Its a bit light in weight and keeps its shape very well.
The only real negative I have about this cube is the center caps are fastened on a bit TOO well, I have not been able to take them off yet.

Grade: A+ Recommendation: Yes
This Cube Is extremely good. Its my new main and I highly recommend this, and for 9$ its really cheap too.

Sounds like a great cube. I will probably get it. You mentioned that it is light. How does the weight compare to something like an Aolong? Also, do you have the Moyu Hualong, and do you recommend the thunderclap over it?

Thx
-LiquidDnB

APdRF

WCA
2011FIOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The cube weight's less than an AoLong, but not by that much, it's so comfortable to cube with. I see the Thunderclap like a copy of the AoLong, so I might recommend it over the AoLong, but definitely not over the HuaLong, that one is amazing.

Here's my video review, it's in Spanish but you can see how the cube performs.

I hope this helps you!

Last edited by a moderator:

transatlantic

A few things...
I bought the bright stickerless version and i kinda wanna smash it with a hammer. The reason is the colors. I am colorblind so colors mix together sometimes and i cant identify colors given the right situation. HOWEVER, for those who dont know about colorblindness, it really isnt that bad and i dont have this problem with any other cube except my aolong stickerless which has about the same shades. What i want to know is if other people have this problem with the stickerless version. Please let me know! The problem for me is that the orange and yellow look almost identical, and the green sometimes mixes with those colors as well. Like no contrast. ASIDE, this cube is nearly perfect. It is hands down the most solid cube ive ever used. Ive had no pops, corner twists or (major) catches. Its fast too. I like how the centers are on tight too. Its very reliable. Whats cool to is how they designed the center pieces, they are rounded off / beveled in the front so that catch point is eliminated

Sanmey3

Qiyi Thunderclap/Newisland Lightning Review

The NewIsland Lightning is the exact same cube as the Qiyi Thunderclap, so feel free to use this review as a reference too! :)

fiftyniner

Nice vid & review. I have the thunderclap on the way
(along with Hualong and 2 others)

Edit:25 July - started to use it last night. Loosen it a tad, and lube it with 30k silicone diff oil - after an hour or so of play: amazing! The loud clacking sound is largely reduced too.

[removing the center cap is a pain in the ***.
And one corner cubie has a qc problem - one connecting internal plate was bent and the cubie was assembled 'deformed' with misalignment and gap in the stalk. Tried bending the plate a bit, much better but not perfect. Doesn't seem to affect the turning though]

Last edited:

fiftyniner

The last 2 days - I was disappointed with the thunderclap. It start to get gummy and turn slowly.
I cleaned out the cube - twice. Same.
I loosen it. Same (not too loose that it wobbles).

Finally I pressed hard against each center pieces. One or two of the 'clicked'. The fast pleasant turning returns.
As already observed by others, the caps do indeed play a role in how the cube turns...

Edit: the day after
It starts to turn slow again...:(

Last edited:

LiquidDnB

YouTube
Visit Channel
My first impressions video. Great cube, IMO comparable to MoYu cubes out of the box. I will play around with scripting my videos if I'm not too busy with school. I am not very good at public speech :p

edit:
Heres the review

youSurname

Has anyone tried this cube for BLD? Is it responsive? I like the feel of my HuaLong for BLD, looking to get some more for multi blind.