• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Zealand Cubing

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
After searching I couldn't find a general cubing in New Zealand thread that wasn't about a specific competition, so here is one! :)

This thread is all about cubing in New Zealand.

Katie and I will be in New Zealand for a month from the end of May till the end of June! We're visiting family in Wellington for most of the time. If there are any cubers nearby I'd love to meet you! I haven't checked yet if there are any competitions around that time, but I would definitely want to go and can offer to help out with the organizing too if there were. I hope to meet some cubers while we're visiting the country!

Last edited:

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
In Wellington we have had quite a few meet ups. As Tom said there is a comp that's said to be on 28th June in Wellington. Those I haven't heard anything thing more, yet.

unsolved

Katie and I will be I New Zealand for a month from the end of May till the end of June!

Don't forget to check out the night sky when you are there. All of the constellations are different! No Big Dipper, no North Star (can't see it due to the equator's bulge). You will be able to spot two globular clusters down there (mini galaxies) that we can't see up here in the North. Also the Southern Cross, Cetus the Whale, and a bunch more.

un5poiled

Hello, just a Kiwi noob-cuber here ...

Less than 4 months ago I couldn't even solve a cube - but now I'm a wildly inconsistent ~45ish secs, with a PB of 34.33. Good times!

Just wondering what the general state of cubing is like in NZ. Like, roughly how many people would turn up to these meetups? How big is the Nationals?

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
U
Hello, just a Kiwi noob-cuber here ...

Less than 4 months ago I couldn't even solve a cube - but now I'm a wildly inconsistent ~45ish secs, with a PB of 34.33. Good times!

Just wondering what the general state of cubing is like in NZ. Like, roughly how many people would turn up to these meetups? How big is the Nationals?

20 people at nz nationals is around what we have had for theist three years. At those Wellington cube meet ups, 3 people has been the amount at all of them.

un5poiled

U

20 people at nz nationals is around what we have had for theist three years. At those Wellington cube meet ups, 3 people has been the amount at all of them.

Wow, that's a bit less people than I would have guessed.
I think the odds of me bumping into another cuber in rural Taranaki is pretty slim then. :)

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, that's a bit less people than I would have guessed.
I think the odds of me bumping into another cuber in rural Taranaki is pretty slim then. :)
There'll be a whole lot of cubers who just don't know about this website and/or haven't turned up to/heard of any competitions. I ran into someone cubing at McDonald's at like 9pm once.

But yeah, I wouldn't hold your breath finding someone in Taranaki :p

Edit: Oh cool, that was my 1000th post.

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Sadly we will miss the competition, we leave on June 23. If there are any cubing meet ups before then we would love to go!

I am excited to look at the night sky and the stars, this will be my first time visiting the Southern Hemisphere :)

Very cool! We arrive in about a week, and we can't wait to travel around and experience the country!

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Sadly we will miss the competition, we leave on June 23. If there are any cubing meet ups before then we would love to go!

I am excited to look at the night sky and the stars, this will be my first time visiting the Southern Hemisphere :)

Very cool! We arrive in about a week, and we can't wait to travel around and experience the country!

The meet ups are usually organised in the Wellington cubers Facebook page.