• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pseudo God's Algorithm Human nxnxn Rubik's Cube Solving Method Created

Are you interested in this method (and perhaps a course to introduce it)?

• Yes

Votes: 116 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 10.8%

• Total voters

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
(Mods, feel free to move this where appropriate.)

The Dream
Ever since I saw the fake reverse scramble 100x100x100 video, I was consumed with an unquenchable desire to actually create a method which satisfies the "fantasy" of solving the nxnxn Rubik's cube in such a manner. A method where there are no sub-steps, a method which is independent of commutators, a method in which allows a human to twist an nxnxn Rubik's cube in such a fashion as to first form pseudo blocks and then join those pseudo blocks into a solved cube. A method which actually requires pencil and paper, math, logic, planning, etc. A real abstract direct solving method.

Ever since the cube was created, no such method has been publicized, at least, and I suspect it probably is one of the biggest cubing fantasies of all time.

Realizing of that Dream
I am posting here to announce that I have succeeded in creating such a method last year: after nearly 6 years of on and off thought. More importantly, I'm asking for advice on what to do with this method (see the end of this post).

That is, I claim that I can solve any nxnxn Rubik's cube (and thus any size minx) similar to that 100x100x100 solve (except that my solutions are actually solutions, not reverse scrambles). The title of this thread includes "pseudo" because the solutions one finds with this method are not move optimal, but are probably closer to being move optimal as the cube size gets large.

My Goal
My goal is to partner with some educational organization to somehow release this method to the world in a way which I just cannot do by publishing it online.

I just am clueless as to what educational organization has the time to collaborate with me to make a real Rubik's cube course. Perhaps I might also try to later incorporate parity algorithm theory (never before seen content, explanations, etc.).

What Should I do?
My question is can anyone give me ideas on what step to take next (besides just posting it on the web)? Who should I try to contact?

Last edited:
WCA
2014BLOC01
(Mods, feel free to move this where appropriate.)
Realizing of that Dream
I am posting here to announce that I have succeeded in creating such a method last year: after nearly 6 years of on and off thought.

I have waited eagerly for this announcement since that Quora question. I'm so excited! Good luck finding an educational organization!

What sort of level of maths knowledge is required to solve by this method? Will a greater maths knowledge lead to better solutions, or is that mostly down to the logic and planning? Regardless of these things, it's cool, but I'm interested to know just how accessible it's going to be. Obelisk's point about time frame is an interesting question too: how long does it take you to work through a solution for a 3x3 with this method - and how many moves long is a typical solution?

Anyway, great work, I look forward to taking a look once it's published.

rowan

WCA
2014HOLO01
A cursory google search reveals quite a few colleges offer courses on the Rubik's Cube (plus Group Theory) perhaps getting in contact with some of the professors who have run these courses - rather than the institutions I'd figure. Here's one with a professor's email. I'd just try emailing a bunch of people.

This is incredible and good look on your institution hunt! I've been discussing this with a friend of mine for awhile now, seems someone else beat him to it - would've made great undergraduate thesis material. :)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This sounds waaaaaaay too good to be true, and it's quite unbelievable. The video you're referring to is a computer solving a puzzle it scrambled by reversing the moves, and is in no way something it could determine on its own. If you truly have something completely new and groundbreaking, I'll be very excited, but for now I am extremely skeptical.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your best bet might be to have it published in a mathematical journal or academic journal of some sort. I know someone who is a college professor who has published, and I will ask him if he has any advice on how to start to try to get a paper published.

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess it would make FMC obsolete? If you could do it within an hour
I have not explored the potential of this method regarding FMC, as I personally have no interest in FMC at the moment, nor have I ever learned about 3x3x3 FMC. Therefore I am not qualified to say how effective this method will be with FMC.

Remember that the title of this includes "pseudo" and recall that I said that solutions are not move optimal. I implied that they are less optimal for smaller cube sizes. So 3x3x3 FMC might not merit much from this.

My primary purpose of creating this method was to solve a cube in a different way than has been done before. That is, I classify all previously existing solving methods as the same general approach when I compare them to my method.

Will a greater maths knowledge lead to better solutions, or is that mostly down to the logic and planning?
The entire scope of tools (which you yourself can create) and techniques are described in the method. Therefore, if you perhaps desire to create a larger variety of solutions, then your general knowledge of the possibilities is probably a factor to consider. However, only basic knowledge of the method is required to merely solve any position of any size cube with this method.

Keep in mind that even though I have invented this method, I'm no expert at. I merely have defined the necessary constraints and tools to define this "universe". I'm just a pioneer who has discovered a new land, but I have not "looked under every rock". There's much to be explored by everyone, but I can certainly give a good introduction to mainly give the necessary "paradigm shift".

I'd just try emailing a bunch of people.
I guess I will have to continue to do this.:)

I've been discussing this with a friend of mine for awhile now, seems someone else beat him to it - would've made great undergraduate thesis material. :)
Indeed. I regret to say that I merely did mine on calculating the number of positions of the nxnxn and nxnxn super cube combined with my research on supercube centers and odd parity (which I incorporated basic calculus, discrete mathematics, abstract algebra into). (This is my latest version of the powerpoint in PDF form.)

It's interesting that you mentioned an undergraduate thesis because a guy on quora asked why aren't people who create new solving methods make them their PhD thesis. I think he has the idea that a new idea merits a PhD, but if I understand correctly, if a paper is about a new idea, it must contain PhD level content as well to be considered. The math involved in this method is at most at the undergraduate level.

EDIT:
If this is real, we will have a 100+ tie for 1st place in FMC pretty soon.
Did you read my first post? I didn't say that you can get optimal solutions for FMC with this method.

Last edited:

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
FMC isn't about being optimal. It's about having as few moves as possible, and that's what this method is for, right? If you could get 30 moves or less easily, it's great for FMC.

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What Should I do?
My question is can anyone give me ideas on what step to take next (besides just posting it on the web)?

Besides the only reasonable thing to do? Well, I don't know. You say you've even written the paper. Sure, most people on this forum might not be able to figure out it, but I'm pretty confident that some people here would be able to decipher it. Heck, a couple of example solves might be enough.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
I don't really understand what's happening, could someone explain?
Apparently: a method for solving any size cube in very few moves, nearly optimal. No sub steps. It's for a computer or a human, and it's not really been done before. If it's real, it's groundbreaking.