• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[ER] Alexander Lau - 7.37 3x3x3 avg

41/42 STM in a speed solve is remarkable.

EDIT: Those wide turns during CMLL to set up better EO... I really gotta learn that.

Take a look at Thom's alg list here. Thom was generally more into EO influence during CMLL than Alex is, so try and pick up some alternate algs that flip different edges. Personally I don't recog EO during CMLL recog, so I've not really implemented this, but there are definitely some easy cases like the one Alex uses there, like swapping out sune for wide sune, or FRUR'U'F' for fRUR'U'f' in algs that use use those in them.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
I actually don't think I've stated CN's advantages enough, my point isn't about how CN helps you see further, but how CN gives you options, and options are power. Without actually doing any computation or hard research for numbers, being CN basically gives 6 opportunities for a random cross rather than 1, massively lowering variance not only in number of times you receive terrible cases, but in several other respects when we actually count what we're looking for in inspection. First pair is also incredibly important too, along with ergonomics, and distance of lookahead (the difference between seeing the corner of the second pair and not seeing it is pretty huge). Overall 'start quality' is much higher with CN when you can make a choice between several 5-6 move crosses with different options for FP.

I realised this is what you meant, it's just that I'm pretty sure, though not 100% sure so maybe Feliks can answer tomorrow, that generally he only inspects the first pair on one/two crosses unless there are multiple easy crosses. In this respect his main advantage is saving moves on the cross, and on average even taking into account different cross+1 options he only saves a couple of moves at best, scraping fractions of a second off. I think if he decided to only use one colour he'd still be officially faster than Alex, and even less of a difference with dual-neutrality. I didn't quote the rest of your post because I see what you mean and agree with the rest of your arguments. (except maybe arguing that 8 <MU> moves are less likely to lockup/fail than 11 <RFU> moves, I think cubes are more willing to corner cut and stay stable for <RFU> than <MU> but that's a pointless hardware debate)

Why do half of Alex's ER threads turn into some debate?)

Because half have no videos which leaves nothing to discuss except the only interesting part, him breaking records with non-CFOP.

Last edited:

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I might be horribly wrong, but isn't being able to plan more and execute it faster way more important than saving a couple of moves? I don't remember who said it, but it was something like "Feliks is able to do X-crosses with as much confidence and speed as other does crosses".

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I might be horribly wrong, but isn't being able to plan more and execute it faster way more important than saving a couple of moves? I don't remember who said it, but it was something like "Feliks is able to do X-crosses with as much confidence and speed as other does crosses".

yes, if you can do it faster, that's better than being efficient. but often efficiency is faster.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol, I just cracked the top 5000, I'm no where close :p There's much more likely youngsters to push up there, like Adam Attia and PDF
Adam surely will. His improvement is going at a great speed.

yes, if you can do it faster, that's better than being efficient. but often efficiency is faster.

I think we should find a middle ground between speed and efficiency. That will be better in the long run.

WCA
2014ATTI01
I can do as good as block+"tell if the second block is good" so far. I kinda stopped practising properly after i made that goal

Did you develop any specific exercises to see as far as you can now in inspection?

Lol, I just cracked the top 5000, I'm no where close :p There's much more likely youngsters to push up there, like Adam Attia and PDF

Thanks DeeDubb, you'll get up there :) We youngesters have nothing on you guys

Adam surely will. His improvement is going at a great speed.

My improvement is a lot slower than TDM's and PDF's but I like the rate its going at a lot.

how fast is his improvement, i know pdf's is crazy.

I think my best accomplishment was in the first Roux group racing thing.
Week1 like a 21.78 average, Week10 a 13.45 average

cashis

Alex, why don't you practice much anymore? I think you could be faster (Feliks fast) with more practicing, tbh. Do you just not enjoy it anymore?

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alex, why don't you practice much anymore? I think you could be faster (Feliks fast) with more practicing, tbh. Do you just not enjoy it anymore?

I think he caught chris-olson-itis.

Did you develop any specific exercises to see as far as you can now in inspection?

Thanks DeeDubb, you'll get up there :) We youngesters have nothing on you guys

My improvement is a lot slower than TDM's and PDF's but I like the rate its going at a lot.

I think my best accomplishment was in the first Roux group racing thing.
Week1 like a 21.78 average, Week10 a 13.45 average

Yeah we are still pretty nub.

Thats pretty ridiculous too though. My 21-15 second improvement took about that long.

Last edited by a moderator: