• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to get faster at the 3x3 Rubik's Cube (updated)

Should I continue the series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nalralz

WCA
2014BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a spin off of Fazrulz1's series he did almost 6 years ago. Even though it is mostly the same thing, it has more recent facts and ways of doing things. Be sure to subscribe if you want to be notified of them. New videos will come out every week and sometimes more than 1 in one day.

Last edited:

nalralz

WCA
2014BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is better to start on a slower cube because your fingers will get stronger. Y0u still can start on one though.

Not really a question but some constructive criticism if i may:
Wouldn't it be easier for beginners to be recommended to start completely color neutral not just start with one color (you said white in the video)

It is easier to start on white and yellow because those colors are easier to track because they are bright colors. You also can fully focus on those 2 colors so you can improve faster. After about 6 months of using 2 colors, it is not very hard to transition to also using blue and green. Red and orange are the hardest in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is easier to start on white and yellow because those colors are easier to track because they are bright colors. You also can fully focus on those 2 colors so you can improve faster. After about 6 months of using 2 colors, it is not very hard to transition to also using blue and green. Red and orange are the hardest in my opinion.
... no. This is horrible advice. It's so much easier if you start out colour neutral from the start.

Also, I haven't watched the videos, but do you really recommend a Type A...? Again, no. The GuanLong and the Aurora are both cheap, good cubes for beginners, especially if they aren't willing to spend much.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Horrible advice. I always recommend to solve any colour cross. Nothing is tough or easy. Everything is easy after some practice. It will be very easy to start being CN from start than change down the road. And also, in the current speedcubing market, anybody will go for the GuanLong. Type A or Rubiks brand are horrible advice again. If you want strong fingers, then tighten it to max and make the cube overlubed and gummy. Even cyclone boys cubes would be better than Type A.

PS: 1 year ago I also made similar mistakes but that allowed me to grow. Just take it as constructive criticism and dont let it get to your heart.

Last edited:

nalralz

WCA
2014BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. It is just in my opinion though. :)

Horrible advice. I always recommend to solve any colour cross. Nothing is tough or easy. Everything is easy after some practice. It will be very easy to start being CN from start than change down the road. And also, in the current speedcubing market, anybody will go for the GuanLong. Type A or Rubiks brand are horrible advice again. If you want strong fingers, then tighten it to max and make the cube overlubed and gummy. Even cyclone boys cubes would be better than Type A.

PS: 1 year ago I also made similar mistakes but that allowed me to grow. Just take it as constructive criticism and dont let it get to your heart.

Is that what most people think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is that what most people think?

Yeah, I think the whole idea of "beginners should use older/inferior cubes" is pretty well debunked. Cubers like Kennan and Lucas have reached ridiculous speeds without it. I'm sure there's a loooooong list of people that never had anything older than a Guhong as their main.

Finger "Strength" is a bit of a misnomer in this context. But high levels of Finger Dexterity can be achieved using any modern cube.

WCA
2014ATTI01
Yeah, I think the whole idea of "beginners should use older/inferior cubes" is pretty well debunked. Cubers like Kennan and Lucas have reached ridiculous speeds without it. I'm sure there's a loooooong list of people that never had anything older than a Guhong as their main.

Finger "Strength" is a bit of a misnomer in this context. But high levels of Finger Dexterity can be achieved using any modern cube.

Pretty much ^^

WCA
2014ATTI01
I see. So is it bad that I got my first speed cube when I was at 41 seconds with my Rubik's store-bought one month after I learned how to solve a Rubik's Cube?

Not at all, people just know now it doesn't make a difference what cube you should use when you are a beginner, but it doesn't help if it is something inferior to popular cubes today :D