• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Hi there! New to cubing.

Anesthetic

Just got my cube today and I can solve it in about 10 minutes average (pathetic, I know, I know) using the algorithms used in pogobat's tutorial

Link
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HsQIoPyfQzM

Is this a good tutorial? Or are there better algorithms? I've seen quite a few people use something called a "double cross," which seems to give insanely fast times.

Thanks!

Leviticus

LOL pogobat, i wouldn't recommend that tutorial, the last layer is pretty slow but easy to remember, i suggest thrawst. By double cross i think you mean double extended cross btw. Its not that which gives 'insanely fast times' its the cuber :)

Raffael

WCA
2007ORTR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'd suggest you take a look at Erik's tutorial aswell:
http://erikku.110mb.com/beginner.html

Also watch the video tutorials from Arnaud.
links to those are in Erik's Tutorial or you can search for Arnaudvg on youtube.
He's really good at explaining stuff plus they are both pretty active on this forum, so you can just post questions here if you've got trouble with anything.

Anesthetic

Wow, didn't expect an answer so quickly. Both of those are called the "Layer by Layer," correct? After I am fluent with it, I am supposed to move onto F2L?

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Only if you want faster times. If you've been reading around old threads, you'll know that learning F2L will make you slower at first but progress is really fast until you hit 40-50 average. After that it will slow down a little bit and the progress will not be as noticeable.

TheCubers

Thrawst and Badmephisto have some of the best 3x3 tutorials if you're looking for a video. Also, many have "getting faster" videos, as well as videos for other techniques.
If you are very in to looking for youtube videos, you are going to want to search
Friedrich LBL Method
Rubik's Cube Beginners Method
or
How to solve a Rubik's Cube
You will notice most of these have different solutions for the Last layer. (LL) They are much faster and lead to a more advanced version.

Anesthetic

I've got it down to 8 minutes with pogobot's tutorial, I think I can get it down to sub 3 with Badmephisto's tutorial. Those are great, although there are more algorithms to remember.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate that video!!!!!

lar5.com is the best! Only 3 algorithms needed to solve the cube, and I can use the same method to solve in under 40 seconds. (Of course ,that's not my usually method, but a beginner form of it.)

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Not as many people use Petrus to really compare it to Fridrich. If you're good at looking ahead and tracking pieces, then both methods will suit your needs. The main difference is blockbuilding and algorithm count.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think Lars Petrus has a really good description of how to make the F2L efficiently. I started off learning the Petrus method before I even bothered to look at Fridrich. If you give up on Petrus, your F2L simply becomes Intuitive Fridrich F2L anyway. If you start on Fridrich, it would be harder to switch to Petrus later if you wanted.

Also, Lars' beginner Last layer solution would have been the same for Fridrich users anyway. For PLL however, I recommend PLL's of
http://cube.garron.us/MGLS/PLL.htm

PCwizCube

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, I'll try the Petrus method. Is it quicker than the Fridrich metod?
The world records have been set with Fridrich but not a lot of people use the Petrus method so not a lot of people are fast with it. The best Fridrich users can get 10-11 seconds on average but the Petrus method I think the best has been 15 seconds average.

The Petrus method is WAY more intuitive than the Fridrich method. It requires a lot of block building which may frustrate you a lot. It's not easy so not a lot of people use the method.

Thrawst and Badmephisto have some of the best 3x3 tutorials if you're looking for a video. A
Wait, hold on a second. Thrawst has the best 3x3 tutorials? Are you talking about the "How to Solve a Rubik's Cube" Tutorials? If so, I disagree with you. I think he goes way to fast and talks fast to so it's hard to understand what he's trying to teach. Notice he had to revise Part 3 and 4 and still he had a lot of mistakes. I think Badmephisto's tutorial is excellent but Thrawst's, is just unorganized....

Last edited:

Anesthetic

Okay, I'm going back to Fridrich. Petrus was too confusing anyway.

But can anyone tell me what a F2L is? And what's a Double-edged cross?

36duong

WCA
2009DUON01
@Rubik's Cube Fan
That doesn't mean Petrus is slow, it simply means Petrus isn't used widely (except for FMC) therefore, not all steps are optimised to the max like Fridrich is.IMO Fridrich is actually more confusing in a written tutorial.

@Anesthetic
I would recommend using the tutorials by Badmephisto (on Youtube) until you are at least sub 2 minutes. Then switch over to Fridrich/Petrus/Roux. BUT you don't have to be, don't feel restricted, as everyone learns differently and goes through life differently. Therefore, you don't need to adhere firmly to any guide lines to get a Sub-20 seconds average. The guidelines are only there to help get there faster.

EDIT:
F2L= First Two Layers
The other one I have no Idea.

blgentry

I'm probably an anomaly, but I actually learned F2L first, before I even learned how to solve the last layer. Sure, I read the crappy little book that comes with the cube and solved it a few times with the book, reading along as I did. But I never memorized that method.

First I went looking for information on "Fridrich" since I had read that it was fast. After a long time, I found a video or two that made sense to me, and learned intuitive F2L from there. I spent around a week, or maybe longer just solving the first two layers. After I had that down, I went searching for a last layer method that I could memorize easily. I settled on Jasmine's tutorial. I used F2L plus the Jasmine last layer for quite a while, until I got down to around 1:10 or 1:15.

So, it's possible to learn F2L without ever learning a layer by layer method.

Brian.

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm as a begginner it is probably a good idea to learn a LBL method and a 4LLL (google it or search for it here) after you get pretty fast at that there is a myriad of different methods for you to select from each suiting different peoples personal style or preference. You may have to gain a lot of experience to find what your personal preference is tho... it shouldn't be that hard to at least learn the F2L's for the main speedcubing methods Petrus/Fridrich/Roux and use the 4LLL to finish them off.