• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I don't belong to a method. Why?

King Mike

Hi guys.

Recently, I've been exploring the other 3x3 methods out there. I'm a CFOP solver with a 22 average. But recently, I've found CFOP really boring and I hate it now, lol. I learned Salvia a few days ago (Its okay, I'm just not fast at it). I learned FreeFOP and Roux.

Roux by far was my favorite and I'm currently learning it.

Have any of you guys gotten bored of a method?

I hope in the future I will become a Roux solver, but I suck at it now (Still rotate in block building and 2 Look my corners)

I just wanna see if I'm the only person here who has felt method-less for a period of time.

Thanks guys.

Ross The Boss

WCA
2012SVEN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i think you might feel like this because you do not know any method well enough. you learn to love a method by spending time with it. learning all the subtle tricks and nuances needed to shave off that extra 0.3 seconds, and learning all those complex super advanced algorithms which require great skill to use well, those are the things that go into the relationship between a cuber and his method... (yes, this is a highly romantic hobby)

cashis

But as Ross said, you learn to love a method by getting good at it, and you get good at it by learning to love it. its a both thing, and sometimes people just dont fall into the category of a method, which might be you. Or, you might not have found the method for you. Method-neutral is a thing (although its rare), so that might be you, or you might just have not found it yet.
Also, try ZZ. eoline might seem intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, its well worth it.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
But as Ross said, you learn to love a method by getting good at it, and you get good at it by learning to love it. its a both thing, and sometimes people just dont fall into the category of a method, which might be you. Or, you might not have found the method for you. Method-neutral is a thing (although its rare), so that might be you, or you might just have not found it yet.
Also, try ZZ. eoline might seem intimidating, but once you get the hang of it, its well worth it.

Yeah try zz, then stick with watever you like. Right now, either continue with CFOP because you are pretty fast with it, or start improving at roux if you like it that much.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Everyone who's been around long enough ought to try several different methods, even if it's just to get a sense of different ways the cube can be solved. Don't worry too much about which one is your main or whatever. If you're doing speedsolves, use the fastest one.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
i used cfop
then i got bored of it so i tried out VH + COLL (disaster)
then i got bored of it so i became CN
then i got bored of it so i switched to roux. my first solve was about 3 mins and i was following a tutorial as i did it :p
after averaging sub 20 i got bored of it so i tried to become full CN roux (disaster)
then i got bored of it so i went back to CFOP and turns out i learned a lot

then i stopped getting bored because i realized that my strengths are in CFOP and i was steadily improving again.

as much as i love roux, i can't say it's the best for me, but i'll never regret making that full switch to roux. i was in the same scenario as you. experiment around and see where it takes you. it took me back to cfop, but you just might find that roux is perfect for you.

Zz seems so elegant and smooth.

our PBs are almost identical... cool.

Last edited:

King Mike

i think you might feel like this because you do not know any method well enough. you learn to love a method by spending time with it. learning all the subtle tricks and nuances needed to shave off that extra 0.3 seconds, and learning all those complex super advanced algorithms which require great skill to use well, those are the things that go into the relationship between a cuber and his method... (yes, this is a highly romantic hobby)

Ive done nothing but CFOP for 4 months

NewCuber000

WCA
2014BOUD01
Hmm. Maybe it's not the methods your getting bored of, maybe it's the 3x3x3 cube in general. Have you solved 2x2, 4x4, Pyraminx, Skewb, or any other cubes before? I suggest you get a couple of them, having a variety of different puzzles makes speedsolving more interesting.

SirIgnacio

Would it have something to do with turning styles? I'm trying to figure out my turning style right now and as I attack the cube less and turn with less effort I am enjoying each solve more and more. I'm finding CFOP great personally. I've tried Roux, and I like how it feels until LSE because I don't really get that. M slices are my ****. A question for anyone, is there a different method for OH? One Handed solves are fun if I get bored of 2H solves.

WCA
2014ATTI01
Would it have something to do with turning styles? I'm trying to figure out my turning style right now and as I attack the cube less and turn with less effort I am enjoying each solve more and more. I'm finding CFOP great personally. I've tried Roux, and I like how it feels until LSE because I don't really get that. M slices are my ****. a question for anyone, is there a different method for OH? One Handed solves are fun if I get bored of 2H solves.

ZZZZZZZZZZZ actually most 2H solving methods can be applied to OH

mDiPalma

method neutrality is a pretty fun thing to try. Choosing the best start between Petrus/ZZ/CFOP/FreeFOP/PCMS I typically average around 13. At a competition, I restrict myself to ZZ/Petrus, but when I'm just screwing around at home/with friends, there's no reason to sacrifice enjoyment for lower times.

CFOP/Salvia are horribly contrived methods, in my opinion. The first steps make an awkward skeleton, and the following steps are stuck "dealing" with the skeleton. Purer methods like Petrus/Roux/Heise/ZZ always interested me more because they seemed more pure. Just my thoughts.

I suppose the purest methods are direct-solving methods like computer algs/tables and Redux, but those aren't possible/easy for humans.