• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] MoYu HuaLong

How would you rate the MoYu HuaLong?

• Total voters

chee16

My Huanlong arrived from Cubezz today!

Out of the box (my box had "Huanlong" printed on it btw) it actually turns really nice, tensions are decent (though I seem to prefer looser tension lately). So far it is exactly as described, scratchy at first but that is slowly going away. The corner cutting is great, I don't really care about how far it cuts so much as how easily it cuts the usable amounts, and it does that with no issue. The cubes I have to compare it to are : Weilong V2, 55mm Zhanchi (stock and modded with different springs), Aolong V2 (used extensively with stock springs but now with CX3 soft springs) and a Gans 357. So far it doesn't feel like any of them, though I guess it is closest to the Aolong. It feels lighter though, but in no way cheap. Looking over the pieces when I lubed the core everything was smooth and formed well, not extra plastic to trim or smooth. I have a set of Fangshi springs I was going to try in my aolong, and when I compared them to the Huanlong springs they are VERY similar. Completely different from the stock aolong springs. For anyone who had issues with the center caps coming off on the aolong, the huanlong addresses this iwth an additional sleeve in the cap that goes over the sleeve for the screw/spring/washer tight enough to hold the cap on nicely.

I am not a very fast solver (PB-24.09, Ao5 best -29ish) so take this all for what it is, but the cube felt great right away and continues to get better. I am not sure how fast it will be as I have only done about 30 solves at this point. But, at this point I have NO problem with the speed. It's not as fast as my Gans, but I am doing the same times or slightly better on average. People have commented that the cube is stable but a bit uncontrollable in that it doesn't keep it's shape, but I can't say I have found that to be the case. I like loose settings though.

This cube is instantly my #1 (why do I hate the term "Main" so much, I can't bring myself to say it for some reason). I may update this post once I hit around 200 solves depending on how it changes.

P.S. Am I the only one that hates Moyu stock stickers? The orange and yellow shades are terrible and they are way too thick. I already have a set of full fitted stickers for this cube, but full fitted are so hard to get perfect.....haha.

viperzz33

I bought one. I hope I made the right decision of ordering this instead of Gans 357 or 356. is this faster than the Gans 356?

fiftyniner

It depends, my Gans 356 is faster than my Hualong by a bit

Interesting...
Last night, I managed to get the 356 to work faster but still is a bit slower than my hualong
Have both of them with me at work, practicing whenever I can.

hualong%20vs%20gan%201.jpg

What I did with the gans (using 30k oil):

a. made sure I regularly (but lightly to allow for a tiny bit of oil layer) wipe the inside of the corner cubies with a dry cloth (cubie dust and oil) - think the cause of drag and sluggishness comes from here.

b. I only re-lube the stalks (where they touch the cubies)

c. loose tension (but not rattling or flexing)

Probable cause of the "slower" speed (lube aside)
1. my hands are used to bigger 57mm cube
2. the 30k Oil - in air-conditioning room (office), it makes the cube seems a bit sluggish. In normal temperature (bedroom), it seem faster.

TraciAG

WCA
2015GAGU01
Interesting...
Last night, I managed to get the 356 to work faster but still is a bit slower than my hualong
Have both of them with me at work, practicing whenever I can.

What I did with the gans (using 30k oil):

a. made sure I regularly (but lightly to allow for a tiny bit of oil layer) wipe the inside of the corner cubies with a dry cloth (cubie dust and oil) - think the cause of drag and sluggishness comes from here.

b. I only re-lube the stalks (where they touch the cubies)

c. loose tension (but not rattling or flexing)

Probable cause of the "slower" speed (lube aside)
1. my hands are used to bigger 57mm cube
2. the 30k Oil - in air-conditioning room (office), it makes the cube seems a bit sluggish. In normal temperature (bedroom), it seem faster.

I actually think that the Gans 356 is one of those puzzles that just gets worse with lube.

I've only lubed it a couple of times, and just kind of let it wear away each time because my times are better once the lube stops affecting the cube...

CuBouz

how does the speed of the HuaLong compare with the weilong, and Gand357?
I'd say it's a hair slower than the two, but still very fast.

***​

Other than that, my take on these cubes are;

Compared with WeiLong:

Pros; It's a lot more forgiving in terms of corner-cutting, especially reverse.

Cons; Kind of loud and hollow-y. Doesn't really inherit the super silky smooth feeling nor the stability of WeiLong (V2).​

Compared with Gans 357:

Pros; It feels more stable and more "traditional." The difference in stability is especially prominent on very loose tensions.

Cons; While this cube really shines on loose tensions, it doesn't seem all that great on standard or tighter tensions (not that it's bad or anything; just doesn't feel particularly better than other cubes,) so if you're not fond of loose feelings but still want amazing corner-cutting then Gans 357 is probably the way to go.

***​

If budget is not a problem, I'd definitely recommend getting one. I enjoy solving all of these cubes.

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Heres a short little review on the Hualong. Got it from C4S.

The Hualong is a cube with a crisp but smooth turning. Its Quite fast and Airy. Corner cutting is good as well as the anti popping mechanism.
This cube is a bit flimsier than most other cubes and I get a few catches, but, its not a major issue. I would recommend to anyone who likes a fast crispy cube.

Grade: A

viperzz33

my hualong feels heavier than my weilong v1. I was hoping it to be lighter. but checking out the weigh of the cubes on the Internet the weilong should heavier? I'm confused.

fiftyniner

my hualong feels heavier than my weilong v1. I was hoping it to be lighter. but checking out the weigh of the cubes on the Internet the weilong should heavier? I'm confused.

Unfortunately I don't have a scale to check but the stated 103g (Weilong V1) and 86g (Hualong) may be wrong.
In my hands:

In solves, the weilong feels a tad bit heavier.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel

It definitely feels lighter for me. And I'm starting to get used to it's flimsiness and instability. If properly controlled is very fast performing algs so it could end up being my new main but I'm not sure yet. So many good cubes...

viperzz33

well that's weird, to my hands the HuaLong feels a tad heavier. weilong feels light and buttery smooth. hualong feels heavier but faster. never tried an along though.

viperzz33

measured them both on a scale that measures a thousandth of a gram. the weilong is 88grams while the HuaLong approx 87grams. But to my hands the hualong feels heavier.

fiftyniner

measured them both on a scale that measures a thousandth of a gram. the weilong is 88grams while the HuaLong approx 87grams. But to my hands the hualong feels heavier.

good job!
At least we now know the 100g plus stated by online stores is wrong.
[and even our own 'feel' of weight can be so far off ;D]

viperzz33

the HuaLong I'm certain is correct at 82. something grams the added 4 to 5 grams is from my lube and sticker for moyu stickers are thick and weigh more than others. The weilong is though they said is 100 grams which is ridiculously off.

jiujitsuhero

I purchased this cube from speedcubeshop here in sunny (hot) ass California, Cams business is about an hour from my residence. Anyway, shipping was fast got here in about 2 days. Now to the puzzle, I'm in no way a sub 30 solver but I plan on being one, ever since I got this cube it seems like it works with my turning style since I'm getting use to it. My average is about 55 right now. The corner cutting is great. The cube came great OOTB, little lock ups but do to my semi bad turning at times... All in all this is a great cube

jackrosie03

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the Moyu Hualong and it is my main 3x3. I bought the puzzle on the cubicle.us for $13. Although I have not lubed it or adjusted the tension, out of the box the cube is great. For my personal style, I like fast turning with less control, which is what the hualong has. Comparing it to the Aolong v2, it is less controllable but turns faster, so it just depends on your style. Corner cutting is about 45 degress with force and 30 degress without force. Locks do occasionally happen, and it only corner twists if you have the "U" face turning to fast with an index finger in the back to stop it perfectly. It feels very high quality and does not feel cheap; it feels like a flagship 3x3. It came with the moyu shades, which I personal love if you are more into the bright stickers. I would recommend it to someone who wants a fast speed cube and is not a control freak. While you may feel slightly unstable with the hualong, it is my favorite speedcube. I totally recommend this cube, and it is definitely worth the price.