• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stuck on 20-23 second averages

ArniKing2001

Hello all, I've got a problem.

I've been cubing since last summer and with the guidance of PCWizCube's thread, "How to get faster using the Fridrich/CFOP method", I've come down to a 20-23 second average. It's just that, I want to know how I can become sub-20. The reason for not following his steps is because I've asked other cubers on this forum and whatever they've said has no relation to what PCWizCube said. So, I'm asking all of you for how I can improve and get sub-20, the different approaches I have to take towards the method, ways and things to improve on, etcetera. thanks you all!

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I've been cubing since last summer and with the guidance of PCWizCube's thread, "How to get faster using the Fridrich/CFOP method", I've come down to a 20-23 second average. It's just that, I want to know how I can become sub-20. The reason for not following his steps is because I've asked other cubers on this forum and whatever they've said has no relation to what PCWizCube said. So, I'm asking all of you for how I can improve and get sub-20, the different approaches I have to take towards the method, ways and things to improve on, etcetera. thanks you all!

What are your splits for each step?

Your splits for the solve. For example, I am a 30- 40 second solver:

Cross: 4-6 seconds
F2L: 20- 25 seconds
Last Layer: 5-10 seconds

are my average splits.

learn better pll algs, try to get them all sub 2.5, and some sub 1.5
learn how to solve every f2l case as efficiently as possible, and if you are having a lot of pauses solve some big cubes because that will help you improve your lookahead.

freshcuber

WCA
2011MURR02
Do some slow turning 3x3 solves. Time is irrelevant so long as you're turning the cube the entire time. Plan your cross and execute it slowly enough so that when you're done you immediately begin solving your first F2L pair. You can speed up through LL but you should take it slow through F2L. Eventually your look ahead improves and your slow turning solves go from 35 seconds to 20. If you're averaging ~23 seconds you have the physical capability to turn the cube fast enough to average sub-20; what's holding you back is pausing during F2L. I also find that doing 3x3 solves on a 4x4 or larger cube helps because you can't turn as quickly and so have have more time to look ahead.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Last edited:

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Drill your algs so they become as fast as possible. Watch videos of people performing algs you use, and if you can't get your algs fast, try new algs. You'd be amazed how many times you might switch algs.

Turn off the timer and do slow solves. The emphasis here is fluidity--when you reach fluidity, slowly increase your turning speed without compromising fluidity. By the time you get to OLL/PLL, you'll just have two fast algs to spam through.

arrow10

I am also stuck on sub 25.i got some ways to get faster at it like if you exclude the F2l cause to perfect it you just need practise,you could use the VLS,keyhole,coll stuff for getting faster.I have been cubing for like a month and i am avg around sub 25 reason practise and badmephisto...

Caddyswag

Start to learn look ahead if you haven't already, I remember when I was around you times, I learn't look ahead and then something clicked. Start slow, try not to look at the pair your solving. Don't worry you'll get there!!! :)