• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New to cube solving

apkumar

Hello everyone,

My name is Apoorva and I'm working in a bank and helping people to get home loan in Lucknow. I have bought a 3x3 cube for myself but unable to solve all the sides. Please help me with some tips. Thanks in advance. :)

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome! some of the members have awesome tutorials of different methods to solve the cube. I don't, but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Oatch

While many beginner's methods are layer-by-layer based and heavily dependent on the usage of algorithms, I believe for someone starting out, a more intuitive method would be more appropriate as it will provide you a greater understanding of the puzzle. I recommend giving this beginner's version of the Roux method a go, explained in the video series linked below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB-y0XQiN0M

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
^ i agree, it's easier to forget a few sequences of moves than it is to forget a concept.

i like the Roux method, i think you should give it a try.

WCA
2013BARK01
Uh oh, here comes the Roux vs CFOP battle...

Let him decide what method to use, instead of just shoving Roux down his throat by saying all of the good things about Roux without saying anything about CFOP. I'm not saying that Roux is bad, but when compared with CFOP, they both have their pros and cons and should be considered carefully. I personally think that Roux wouldn't work for me, because of all of its M, M', and M2 moves, which I am somewhat bad at. Because of that, I use CFOP, which I like because the cross is pretty easy to see quickly, and I like parts of the algorithmic approach myself, although it is easier to forget, you can do them faster without thinking too much.
There are some things that can be said for Roux, as well. It is probably the second most used method, so it should be able to get people fast. Although there isn't anyone who is extremely fast (i.e. they can make the finals at Worlds) that uses Roux, but I'm sure there are many who have some good potential to get that fast. A lot of people are good at M-slice moves, and they can use that skill to become fast at Roux. A lot of people like the Roux-generator [M, U], because it looks impressive. Also, Roux does provide some understanding of the cube that parts of CFOP don't. A lot of the LL cases (OLL and PLL) are not very intuitive, and it is just memorization.
It is pretty clear that there are advantages of CFOP and advantages of Roux. ZZ, which I haven't mentioned until now, has a lot of the aspects of Roux, except more so. EOLine takes a lot of getting used to, but it gives a lot of knowledge of how the cube works. So, honestly guys. Let him decide what method he wants to use. I know that a lot of people (I'm talking to you, Roux users) really want more people to use their method. They will. It is just that these one-sided posts drive me nuts. If anyone notices how reasonable this is, then thank you.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Let him decide what method to use, instead of just shoving Roux down his throat by saying all of the good things about Roux without saying anything about CFOP. [...]
I don't think that battle was starting. Even if the most recent post was 3 hours ago rather than 3 weeks, I still don't think this post is necessary, as any argument about that wasn't going to happen.

also, these parts:
ZZ, which I haven't mentioned until now, has a lot of the aspects of Roux

I know that a lot of people (I'm talking to you, Roux users) really want more people to use their method
I don't agree with (though, maybe some other Roux users might want more people to use it? Personally, I only care that people stop thinking of it as being inferior to CFOP), and none of these posts have been one-sided at all.

WCA
2013BARK01
Yeah, ZZ does have several similarities of Roux:

It starts by making the puzzle solvable in a certain move set.
It can be used with a normal CFOP last-layer.
It solves a block in its first step.

You don't call those similarities?

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Let him decide what method to use, instead of just shoving Roux down his throat by saying all of the good things about Roux without saying anything about CFOP. I'm not saying that Roux is bad, but when compared with CFOP, they both have their pros and cons and should be considered carefully. I personally think that Roux wouldn't work for me, because of all of its M, M', and M2 moves, which I am somewhat bad at. Because of that, I use CFOP, which I like because the cross is pretty easy to see quickly, and I like parts of the algorithmic approach myself, although it is easier to forget, you can do them faster without thinking too much.
There are some things that can be said for Roux, as well. It is probably the second most used method, so it should be able to get people fast. Although there isn't anyone who is extremely fast (i.e. they can make the finals at Worlds) that uses Roux, but I'm sure there are many who have some good potential to get that fast. A lot of people are good at M-slice moves, and they can use that skill to become fast at Roux. A lot of people like the Roux-generator [M, U], because it looks impressive. Also, Roux does provide some understanding of the cube that parts of CFOP don't. A lot of the LL cases (OLL and PLL) are not very intuitive, and it is just memorization.
It is pretty clear that there are advantages of CFOP and advantages of Roux. ZZ, which I haven't mentioned until now, has a lot of the aspects of Roux, except more so. EOLine takes a lot of getting used to, but it gives a lot of knowledge of how the cube works. So, honestly guys. Let him decide what method he wants to use. I know that a lot of people (I'm talking to you, Roux users) really want more people to use their method. They will. It is just that these one-sided posts drive me nuts. If anyone notices how reasonable this is, then thank you.

alexander lau, 2nd fastest average. definitely has the best chance, apart from feliks, to make finals at worlds if he is there.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, ZZ does have several similarities of Roux:

It starts by making the puzzle solvable in a certain move set.
It can be used with a normal CFOP last-layer.
It solves a block in its first step.

You don't call those similarities?

Using Roux with normal CFOP last layer? Why would anyone ever want to do such a thing, other than purely for the sake of argument (which would undermine doing it anyway)?

WCA
2013BARK01
Honestly, why are we even arguing about this? We seriously should stop posting on this thread. Yes, I know that it is mainly my fault for posting here anyway (I didn't notice that it was inactive for 3 weeks) but... I did have a point, especially if you ignore the part about ZZ. I am not an expert on methods. Just don't make it be your fault by continuing to post here. I just don't like it when people only mention Roux and not anything else.

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, why are we even arguing about this? We seriously should stop posting on this thread. Yes, I know that it is mainly my fault for posting here anyway (I didn't notice that it was inactive for 3 weeks) but... I did have a point, especially if you ignore the part about ZZ. I am not an expert on methods. Just don't make it be your fault by continuing to post here. I just don't like it when people only mention Roux and not anything else.

there really was no arguing. just people pointing some of you incorrect statements. i think the first few posts were good, a tutuorial to a beginner cfop and a tutorial for a beginner roux.

WCA
2013BARK01
there really was no arguing. just people pointing some of you incorrect statements. i think the first few posts were good, a tutuorial to a beginner cfop and a tutorial for a beginner roux.

That's true, and now the thread is pointless because it has been 3 weeks since anything related to the actual subject was posted. And yes, I know it was my fault, but there is no need to continue posting here. Just saying.