• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Xray Images of Moyu 3x3x3

RicardoRix

WCA
2013LEIS01
I took a few Xray images of a 3x3. These were taken with a linear array detector, which means it's a series lines which are stitched together to form a 2D image, so it's not a single exposure as you probably imagine.
An artifact of this process means there is blow out when the object is not directly under the centre of the Xray beam, so this is most evident in the first image, the left hand edge is directly under the centre point so all the cubies sides line up to form a single crisp edge. The right hand side though has blow out, so the edge of the cubies don't seem to line up, the right most edge in the image will in fact be the top layer (closest to the xray beam = farthest from the detector).

The 2nd image I took at an angle and just didn't work.

The 3rd image has the top (U) layer rotated 45 degrees.

The diode resolution is 54 micronmetres, or in other words the size of each pixel.

rubik1.jpg

rubik2.jpg

rubik3.jpg

RicardoRix

WCA
2013LEIS01
Yeah, I keep an Xray machine under my bed ;)

I work as a software engineer for an Xray machine manufacturer. Most of the machines are going into food production lines. I am the reason your McDonalds burger is perfectly round!

RicardoRix

WCA
2013LEIS01
You sicken me. I want mah burgers to be all over the place.

Sorry. You'll have to go to Burger King. :p

Weirdly they are actually more worried about pieces of 'flakes' which sometimes are on top the burger and when they cook those little patties for some scientifically calculated small amount of time, if there are flakes then the burger isn't cooked properly. So if you want your lumpy burgers you'll also have to run the risk of e-coli. Thinking about it, maybe that's your bag.

trackdork

WCA
2014ELLI06
I thought X-rays didn't like metal. Apparently I'm wrong.

You might be thinking of MRIs? Xrays just don't go through metals as easily. The "heavier" the metal, the more absorbent... hence the lead blankets protecting your parts during a medical Xray