• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Official] [UWR] Hideaki Tomoyori 3BLD Oldest solver 82 years old

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Yes, it´s a great pity that they took away the stats for the old solvers. (Someone was afraid that our children in that case would incite us to death).

Once again: It is not because of that!

It is because it is ILLEGAL in many/some countries (for example Finland) to publicly provide info about peoples age/date of births WITHOUT THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT. And WCA just doesn't want to get sued by a bunch of over protective parents.

Rune

Premium Member
WCA
2003WESS01
Then, why not ask them. (And show me please, where to find the argument you are citing)

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Then, why not ask them. (And show me please, where to find the argument you are citing)
I'm on phone so can't link straight to right post but Denes second post on this page for example https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?42842-Should-WCA-Bring-Back-Age-Statistics/page8.

And yes of course we could ask every competitor seperately if they want to show their age but the downside is that it would mean more work for delegates/organizers + the wca website team. That might still be doablethough. IMO the real problem I see here is that it would render the whole age statistics quite meaningless since some people can choose to hide their age. So even if you are at the top of some age group according to those statistics you cannot know how many faster people there are that have just chosen to not show their age...

Jakube

WCA
2011KOGL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, I'm pretty sure that the WCA doesn't stores the e-mail addresses of competitors. Even if everybody is willing to publish their birth dates, it would be pretty impossible to get all dates, because you just can't contact most of them.

Rune

Premium Member
WCA
2003WESS01
So you mean that if it is forbidden in Finland to show the age of a Finnish person whithout permission, Finland could sue WCA (and eventually win the case), if they showed the age of that person. That is nonsens.
There were 10 (ten) persons on the ranking list for the oldest solvers. Apparently none of them has objected against using there ages. Maybe once in two years or so a new person could get a place on the list, IF he had given his permission to expose his age. So you must ask him. Is that too much trouble?

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
So you mean that if it is forbidden in Finland to show the age of a Finnish person whithout permission, Finland could sue WCA (and eventually win the case), if they showed the age of that person. That is nonsens.

I'm not a lawyer so I don't know what consequences (if any) it might have but yes. It really is forbidden in Finland. I can say that I'm born 13.10.1989 but my employee or school or any other entity that has my birth date and age information can't publish it without my explicit consent.

There were 10 (ten) persons on the ranking list for the oldest solvers. Apparently none of them has objected against using there ages. Maybe once in two years or so a new person could get a place on the list, IF he had given his permission to expose his age. So you must ask him. Is that too much trouble?

First of all wca would have to ask the question (do you want your age to be public information) from ALL the already existing members to get the ranking started. That is a massive job.

Also my other point would still stand even if that was done: the whole list would be quite meaningless because old/young/fast people might just choose not to publish their age stats so you couldn't know where you would REALLY rank if all people were counted...

Jlvs2run

I agree with Rune.

Being a part of the later age ranges, I'm interested to see what people have accomplished, and disappointed to see no records being kept.

There are masters/seniors age records kept for swimming, running, other sports, and I suppose Finland has people who participate in those endeavors.

To propose a solution, at least the records could be kept unofficially, if nothing else then via a thread on this forum.
I think, in track anyway, the records are not kept by the primary organization, but by separate groups focusing only on age records.

Perhaps a group can be formed, informal or otherwise, to keep records for people above age 40, and especially above age 60, 70, 80, and 90.

Jlvs2run

Comparing solvers in their 80's with others age 40 is not a valid comparison.

A thread posting everyone above age 40 in one group is a start, but by age groups would be better.

Personally I'm more interested in people in the later years, not just age 40 as that's still rather young I think.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Comparing solvers in their 80's with others age 40 is not a valid comparison.

A thread posting everyone above age 40 in one group is a start, but by age groups would be better.

Personally I'm more interested in people in the later years, not just age 40 as that's still rather young I think.
Their ages are in the tables. Just scroll down and look at the ages you're interested in. There aren't enough people overall to make it worth maintaining tables for smaller age groups.