• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Moyu Aoshi 6x6x6

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Above Average

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Average

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Below Average

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

pdilla

This thread is for reviews of the Moyu Aoshi 6x6x6. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

Where the puzzle was purchased:
When the puzzle was purchased:
Thoughts on the puzzle:

What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised that no one ever created a thread for the Aoshi here yet. Plenty of comments in the Hardware section, but none here.

Where the puzzle was purchased: thecubicle.us
When the puzzle was purchased: Feb 18, 2015

Thoughts on the puzzle: Holy terrible-out-of-the-box, Batman. Firstly, take this sucker apart and wipe that stock lube off. You will not regret it. Yes, yes, I know that it's a pain in the posterior but just do yourself a favor and do it.

Afterwards, about 30-40 solves in, the cube begins to come together. I have no experience with SS 6x6s, so I cannot compare them based on personal experience. But the Aoshi is a very mushy cube. Layers move about and makes lockups happen far more often than they should. Cleaner turning and a solid grip will help, but my turning is still trying to get used to it.

Based on what others say about the SS 6x6, just get the Shengshou. You have to take this thing apart too if you want any decent performance out of it. Apparently, SS springs work well in the Aoshi so if you still got your SS springs lying around from a previous mod, use 'em in this thing and you'll apparently be sitting pretty.

That's really all I can say. Thanks and get to reviewing!

Last edited:

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
I am using SS 7x7 springs in my AoShi, and I think that they're the same size/stiffness as SS 6x6 springs. It increases the stability of the cube but makes it slightly slower.

I do like it though.

pdilla

Stability is the issue for me. Just feels like it's on the brink of melting in my hands, at some tensions.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Where the puzzle was purchased: TheCubicle.us
When the puzzle was purchased: May 4th, 2016
Thoughts: I realize that with the Yuxin 6x6 coming out, and most likely an updated Moyu 6x6 in response to that, if this review is not irrelevant it soon will be. With that caveat, and also the facts that I have never handled another 6x6, and I am ridiculously slow (working on sub 9:00 average, one sub-8:00 single) here's what I think: this cube has been unfairly criticized. It is actually a really good, solid cube. I did ~50 solves and then swapped the springs between this and my SS 5x5, as well as lubing it with Cubicle wt. 5. In my opinion swapping the springs helped the 5x5 and did nothing for the Aoshi. The lube made it sluggish at first, but with another ~30 solves the lube is breaking in nicely. It is true that if you try to corner cut ridiculous amounts it will pop, although I've never had it fly across the room, more like a bad lockup than a true pop. It's usually the outer center corners that come halfway out. One other issue that I don't think I've had any problem with in solves, but I noticed when I disassembled it, is that some of the center pieces fit quite snugly on the core, to the point that you have to put significantly more pressure on the center piece to get it to move than the spring is applying. They ought to move freely, and be held in place by the screw and spring. My only two real complaints are:
1. Occasionally when I try to make a 3-layer turn by pushing on the inner layers the outer layer will not move with the inner layers. Not a huge deal, usually just results in mis-scrambles, which I don't usually check anyway. It can certainly be an issue if you're trying to track pieces on the U or D faces during edge pairing. I think it also happened once that I tried to do a 3U move and the top two layers didn't move, which obviously messes up edges.
2. This applies to all Moyu cubes, but the Fluorescent yellow is too bright for me, and if it is possible to get custom shades in the same quality of stickers as the original I haven't figured out where.

In the end, this is a fantastic cube. Outside of the very minor issue with the core and the center pieces it seems to be manufactured to the highest standards, as I've come to expect from Moyu. It can lock and pop if you're not careful with it, but the same can be said of any cube. Turning is glass-smooth, with just enough pebbly bumpiness that you don't overshoot. Outer layers are 12mm and inner layers are 10mm. If I were designing it I might go with 14 mm for the outer layers and 9 on the inner layers, as that would make 3x3 stage a little easier, but that's getting pretty picky.

The Blockhead

WCA
2017ANDE05
Where: The Cubicle.us
When: Christmas of 2016 (6 months ago)
Thoughts: I have used this puzzle as my main ever since I first got it. I still have the puzzle on stock tensions and it's a somewhat good 6x6 in general. It corner cuts a full cubie on the outer layers, but very little on the inner layers. When I'm solving this, I feel like it's very stable, but with its stability comes its lack of speed. It has a somewhat sluggish feeling to it at first but once I lubed it with Cubicle Silicone Weight 1 and broke it in a little bit it became a very fast puzzle (for a 6x6) and still remained very stable. Although to this day it still feels kind of scratchy and it's sometimes difficult to grip outer layers because they are no bigger than the inner ones, but that's probably only because I have giant hands. :) The stickers are very vibrant shades, as with all MoYu puzzles, and the only reason why I changed them is so that all my puzzles can match. :p I would personally recommend this puzzle for as a first speed 6x6, as I came from a ShengShou 6x6 when this became my main, and it worked really well.

It currently is available for the following prices at the following stores (in USD$):

TheCubicle.us: $38.99
CubeDepot: $30.00
MagicCubeMall (MCM): $30.33
SpeedCubeShop: $39.95
Lightake: $24.69
Champion's Cube Store: $32.99

I hope this helped anybody wanting to buy this puzzle.

EDIT: I have since tensioned and lubricated my AoShi with DNM-37 and a touch of Traxxas 10k and that has removed the scratchy feeling, although it is still very locky.

Last edited: