• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Third layer edge permutation - swap two pieces across?

RN13

Hello,

I am using this method for solving the last layer:

Edge Orientation (EO)
Edge Permutation (EP)
Corner Permutation (CP)
Corner Orientation (CO)

After creating/orienting the yellow cross - for the edge permutation I am using the algorithm: R U Ri U R U U Ri U to swap two edge pieces that are next to each other.

However, sometimes I need to exchange two edge pieces that are opposite of each other. This is possible by doing the above twice, but I am wondering if there is any algorithm that could do this in one action?

That is: the corner pieces does not matter, but swap two opposite edge pieces that are correctly oriented?

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, we call this algorithm T permutation.
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F'

edit: judging by your notation, note that R2 = R R and U' = Ui.
and this should go in the Request an Alg thread or 3x3x3 One Answer Question thread.

edit: removed J perm lol

Last edited:

RN13

Yes, we call this algorithm T permutation.
R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' R U R' F'

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. This seems to do what I need, i.e. a cross swap of two edge pieces, great!

One question, what is the T in this? :)

Or there is the J permutation.
R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R'

When trying this out it seems to get another result than above, is that correct?

Seanliu

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. This seems to do what I need, i.e. a cross swap of two edge pieces, great!

One question, what is the T in this? :)

When trying this out it seems to get another result than above, is that correct?

One is a J-Perm, and one is the T. The T swaps opposite edges, but the J swaps adjacent edges. And yes, they are different.

RN13

One is a J-Perm, and one is the T. The T swaps opposite edges, but the J swaps adjacent edges. And yes, they are different.

So J-Perm (R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R') is the same as this, or?

R U R' U R U2 R' U

If so, the J seems more complex?

RN13

Or there's these two:
FRUR'U'F' R'U'F'UFR
and
R'F'U'FUR FURU'R'F'

Thanks for these as well!

J perm also swaps the two corners on the right. If all corners are oriented and you want to solve the adjacent edges, use J perm. If they are not oriented, use sune.

Ok, that seems logical.

What does the "T" mean in the name of the algorithm? The pieces move like a I and not T?

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
They get their names from the way they affect corners and edges. If you perform them on a solved cube, (blue in front yellow on top) then you get the following:

J-perm:

visualcube.php

T-perm:

visualcube.php

RN13

Ah, nice, I did not observe that the corner pieces moved together with the opposite edge pieces.

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
whoops, sorry for giving you a J perm.
J perm does not do what you want. i totally messed up there haha my bad.

RN13

No problem, I was just confused for a while as it did not change the pieces I wanted. :)

Julian

WCA
2010DAVI06
Interesting. It is something "physical" that makes this mandatory?
It's essentially pretty simple. Any sequence you can do is a combination of quarter moves. A single quarter move cycles 4 edges around in a circle and 4 corners around in a circle. This adds up to an even total number of edge swaps and corner swaps.

Also, for your original question, T- and J-perm are good, but something else you can do is just do your adjacent swap algorithm (which is called 'sune') from any angle, even if you have an opposite swap. Then, after adjusting the U face, you'll just have an adjacent swap, so you do the sune again. Up to you which you like better.

RN13

It's essentially pretty simple. Any sequence you can do is a combination of quarter moves. A single quarter move cycles 4 edges around in a circle and 4 corners around in a circle. This adds up to an even total number of edge swaps and corner swaps.

Thanks for the explaination, I guess that makes sense.

Also, for your original question, T- and J-perm are good, but something else you can do is just do your adjacent swap algorithm (which is called 'sune') from any angle, even if you have an opposite swap.

I have been solving the permutation of the yellow cross earlier by using either one or two "Sune", but I was looking to see if there was any faster way to handle the situation with two opposite pieces correct and the other edge pieces inverted. I think the T-perm would be a good tool in those situations.

Sligthly off-topic, but it is a bit fun that the "Sune" algorithm is named from a kind of older male name in my country, Sweden.