• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why did I get a DNF?

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04
So about 3 months ago one of my solves got DNF'ed. I don't know how can so I will give you a example. Look at rami's inspection in his 3rd solve on his first 1.69 world record. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRLNYfD2OA you can see what happened right?? Same thing happened to me too but the judge and the organiser said that if you touch the timer even though you don't start it the inspection time is over. So I thought the rules were like that at the time. But after looking WCA rules now i know this isn't true. Also it's not because of inspection time ( obviously). Can anyone explain what happened??

uyneb2000

WCA
2011YUBE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like that is the judge's error. I always make sure to stop inspection after the competitor has started the timer and started their solve. If you turned the puzzle and the timer didn't start, it's a DNF. But if they just DNF'ed because you did what Rami did in the example provided, I think they should provide another solve if inspection was stopped by the judge, and was erroneous. Unless, of course, your inspection was coming very close. Do you have a video of what happened?

This stuff maybe should be left to Kit.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
So about 3 months ago one of my solves got DNF'ed. I don't know how can so I will give you a example. Look at rami's inspection in his 3rd solve on his first 1.69 world record. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPRLNYfD2OA you can see what happened right?? Same thing happened to me too but the judge and the organiser said that if you touch the timer even though you don't start it the inspection time is over. So I thought the rules were like that at the time. But after looking WCA rules now i know this isn't true. Also it's not because of inspection time ( obviously). Can anyone explain what happened??

Was that at the Christmas event in Daejeon?

Some of the judges did so bad there, and at the recent event as well. They miss too many timer resets which causes a lot of DNFs (I know it's our responsibility to check too, but it should be a reflex for judges to reset the timer).

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Your time should have counted if you didn't do any moves, and you were still under the inspection time.
If you disagreed with your judge you should have gone to the delegate - did you do that?

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't speak for your solve, but for Rami's third solve, A4d requires the competitor to confirm that the green light is on when starting the timer before the inspection period ends. Since no moves were made during the entirety of the inspection period, no penalty was applied.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hang on, wut? That isn't a DNF, it's a re-solve

Oh really? I saw a few people get DNFs from the timer not being reset and them starting their solve.

I guess maybe i"m not explaining it well.

Competitor sits down, previous competitor's time is still on the timer, competitor inspects, puts their hands on the timer, and starts there solve, but since the timer was never reset, the timer doesn't start.

Arphy

Hi! I am Joshua's friend. Joshua couldn't reply to comments because he was banned in the WCA regulations forum. So I am going to reply some of your posts. He told me that he has a video and he's going to upload it soon

Your time should have counted if you didn't do any moves, and you were still under the inspection time.
If you disagreed with your judge you should have gone to the delegate - did you do that?

He didn't make any moves in inspection.
I can't speak for your solve, but for Rami's third solve, A4d requires the competitor to confirm that the green light is on when starting the timer before the inspection period ends. Since no moves were made during the entirety of the inspection period, no penalty was applied.
Same as above.

Was that at the Christmas event in Daejeon?

Some of the judges did so bad there, and at the recent event as well. They miss too many timer resets which causes a lot of DNFs (I know it's our responsibility to check too, but it should be a reflex for judges to reset the timer).
Yeah, some of the judges weren't very good Me and FailCuber had to reset the timer. But this is a different case. and yes it was at Daejeon. oh and I saw you at the competition :O Hi :)!!

Arphy

Qouted from FailCuber : " Here is the video :
As you can see, the solve was like rami's third solve in his first world record. But look at the whole video you can see what the organiser,judge,me were talking about. Pls change my dnf :( "

Last edited by a moderator:

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel

The Regulations are very clear on this.

A4d1) The competitor must start the solve within 15 seconds of the beginning of the inspection. Penalty: time penalty (+2 seconds).

That is, inspection time doesn't "end" until the solve starts. The judge in the video is making a mistake. If Rami had pause for a few seconds after putting the hand on his timer, the judge would have let him break the Regulations.

Also see:
A3c2) If the parts of the puzzle are not fully aligned, then the competitor may align the faces, as long as misalignments stay within the limits of Regulation 10f.

A3c3+) CLARIFICATION Although the judge is required to reset the timer for the competitor (see Regulation A3b), the competitor may reset it before/during the inspection phase if the judge accidentally neglected to do so.

Arphy

The Regulations are very clear on this.

That is, inspection time doesn't "end" until the solve starts. The judge in the video is making a mistake. If Rami had pause for a few seconds after putting the hand on his timer, the judge would have let him break the Regulations.

Also see:

So this should not be a DNF right??

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So this should not be a DNF right??

Yeah, assuming inspection didn't take over 15 seconds starting before the video.

A3c2 is a bit vague about competitors misaligning the puzzle if it wasn't already fairly aligned, but I've never seen anyone try to use it to give a penalty if the competitor didn't go past 45 degrees.

Arphy

Yeah, assuming inspection didn't take over 15 seconds starting before the video.

A3c2 is a bit vague about competitors misaligning the puzzle if it wasn't already fairly aligned, but I've never seen anyone try to use it to give a penalty if the competitor didn't go past 45 degrees.
He told me the judge didnt' even say 8 seconds left and he said his inspection time was fairly short. But can you change the times? He really want's to get a better average and think it's unfair.