• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Hello Everybadehhh

chronondecay

WCA
2015SHEN02
Hi guys! I'm YS from Singapore.

Former math olympian, fresh out of military service, entering college later this year.

I like playing the piano, even though I have no formal training. Right now I'm trying Chopin's Ocean Etude (Op. 25 No. 12), which isn't too forgiving on my wrists T.T

Music: Dubstep, EDM, orchestral, alt rock, piano, vocaloid, video game... If I like it, I like it!

Okay, now onto cubing.

I first picked up the cube around 2008, learning intuitive F2L on my own. Timing was probably around 50s. I think I lost my cube within the year, so didn't really cube for a long time after that.

More recently, I learnt all my PLLs during my free time in the army. After leaving the army mid-Dec, I've been practising for the Singapore Open, so you can say I only started speedcubing then. Lurked on this site a bit, learnt a lot - better PLL algs, best cubes around, etc.

CFOP, 2-look OLL, full PLL. Definitely sub-35. Definitely not sub-30 (yet!).

The only puzzle I have is a storebought 3x3 (lol), lubed two weeks ago so now it's less atrocious. I've ordered a Ghosthand 2x2, a Guhong and an Aosu, which should arrive this week. Depending on how successful I am with these puzzles I might consider expanding my collection :D

Right now I'm learning HTA, averaging 2 minutes but it sure is fun :p

And that's it! Hopefully I will be more active on here as I get faster :)

mDiPalma

hey, for HTA, have you tried just using CFOP to bring the cube to a "3-color-cube" state, then just solving with double turns? i think it's faster than traditional HTA.

in other words, solve the cube to a state with only opposite colors on each side, then use 180 degree turns to fix everything. no need to follow HTA's stict outline

chronondecay

WCA
2015SHEN02
So my eagerly-awaited cube package (Ghosthand 2x2, Guhong v2, Aosu) arrived yesterday! (Or more like it arrived last week, but the agent handling the shipping was closed for Chinese New Year until yesterday T.T) This quadruples my cube collection, haha.

The Guhong came prelubed, and it was absolutely amazing. (Since my main had been a storebought, it also felt like it would explode in my hands because it was so much looser, but I got used to that quickly.) I like the clicky feel, but then it's a lot louder, so no more cubing on the train :(

It didn't magically shave 5 secs off my timings like I thought it would - truly it's the cuber and not the cube - but then the first time I tried a PLL time attack on it, I beat my PB by 10 secs easily (now 1:15, if anyone's interested). Maybe tonight I'll do a proper timed session of 20 solves. Either way, speedcubing is definitely a lot more fun on a Guhong than a storebought :D

Haven't mustered enough courage to scramble my Aosu yet =P It won't be long, though (I hope).

I ordered the Ghosthand 2x2, but what came in my package was a Shengshou D= I'll ask the agent and see what they can do about it. Hopefully they can get the seller to send me the correct one this time, but in the meantime I'm already learning Ortega on the Shengshou. When my 2x2 times get better (as in, faster than my 3x3 timings XD) I'll post them in my sig.

I'm excited about all my new cubes, wish me luck for my speedcubing!

JemFish

The Guhong came prelubed, and it was absolutely amazing. (Since my main had been a storebought, it also felt like it would explode in my hands because it was so much looser, but I got used to that quickly.) I like the clicky feel, but then it's a lot louder, so no more cubing on the train :(

I felt the same as you when I got my first speedcube, a Moyu Weilong. Nice, isn't it?

It didn't magically shave 5 secs off my timings like I thought it would - truly it's the cuber and not the cube - but then the first time I tried a PLL time attack on it, I beat my PB by 10 secs easily (now 1:15, if anyone's interested). Maybe tonight I'll do a proper timed session of 20 solves. Either way, speedcubing is definitely a lot more fun on a Guhong than a storebought :D

Oh I'm sure.

Haven't mustered enough courage to scramble my Aosu yet =P It won't be long, though (I hope).

I'm the same with you, but instead with my 5x5. I don't like big cubes. I also get mad when I mess up a scramble on the 4x4, 5x5, and megaminx. Learn Yau! It's good...

I ordered the Ghosthand 2x2, but what came in my package was a Shengshou D= I'll ask the agent and see what they can do about it. Hopefully they can get the seller to send me the correct one this time, but in the meantime I'm already learning Ortega on the Shengshou

I love the 2x2.

When my 2x2 times get better (as in, faster than my 3x3 timings XD) I'll post them in my sig.

I'm excited about all my new cubes, wish me luck for my speedcubing!

Yeah, good luck! (And learn how to blindsolve - it's the best thing ever...)

chronondecay

WCA
2015SHEN02
Updates:

My Shengshou 2x2 has been decommissioned. I brought my cubes to a relative's house, and someone decided it was a good idea to give it to my 1-year-old cousin to play with... now two stickers have teeth marks on them :mad:

I believe I'm global sub-30 now for 3x3 :D Sub-25 solves are now nothing to freak out about, though I think I should be getting such timings more consistently, haha.

Averaging around 3 minutes for 4x4 using beginner's reduction (pairing 2 dedges at a time).

3BLD is so hard! Using 3OP, here are my first six attempts at full blindsolving:

DNF[6:59](13:46) 8/12, 6/8
DNF[6:48](18:35) X
DNF[6:04](11:19) X
DNF[7:51](14:37) 4/12
DNF[7:18](13:37) X
DNF[5:55](10:49) 8/12, 8/8

Time to work on accuracy. I'll be spending some time doing edges only tonight to see if that helps.

Rubik's wrist is annoying :( How do people do hundreds of solves daily without getting RSI?

JemFish

3BLD is so hard! Using 3OP, here are my first six attempts at full blindsolving:

DNF[6:59](13:46) 8/12, 6/8
DNF[6:48](18:35) X
DNF[6:04](11:19) X
DNF[7:51](14:37) 4/12
DNF[7:18](13:37) X
DNF[5:55](10:49) 8/12, 8/8

Time to work on accuracy. I'll be spending some time doing edges only tonight to see if that helps.

When I first started I gave myself a full 15 minutes for each 3BLD attempt, so that I could work more on accuracy, with a first success of 10 minutes (almost exactly). If you're not terribly comfortable with your colour orientation you might need to give yourself 20 minutes, but that's up to you. After you get at least 2/5 accuracy, then you should start pushing your times. Good job though!

Rubik's wrist is annoying :( How do people do hundreds of solves daily without getting RSI?

Be VERY careful, and I'm serious. You don't want to end up having paralysed hands for the rest of your life. Make sure you stretch before and after solves, and the most important thing is to RELAX. Relax your shoulders and arms, and as soon as you start getting tense tell yourself to stop for a moment and just RELAAAAX...and then pick up your cube again and continue solving. If you starting getting tense again then RELAAAAX, and keep repeating until the shoulder/arm/wrist/fingers-relaxation thing becomes unconscious.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel

Be VERY careful, and I'm serious. You don't want to end up having paralysed hands for the rest of your life. Make sure you stretch before and after solves, and the most important thing is to RELAX. Relax your shoulders and arms, and as soon as you start getting tense tell yourself to stop for a moment and just RELAAAAX...and then pick up your cube again and continue solving. If you starting getting tense again then RELAAAAX, and keep repeating until the shoulder/arm/wrist/fingers-relaxation thing becomes unconscious.

Paralyzed hands seems like a stretch, but long-term tendinitis problems are a real possibility for repetitive stress injuries. Take a break, stretch, and don't be afraid to take a day or two off if it starts hurting. Personally, I've never had any wrist issues from solving the cube, so it may be related to your turning style or your cube. Either way, be careful!