• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A new class of oil for cubes

rasiel

I wanted to make the announcement here that we're now shipping a new class of oil that has never been commercially offered before for cubing (that I know of).

As you know most cubing oil falls into one of two camps: silicones and petroleum distillates. The silicones work well but tend to dry out soon and are expensive. The petroleum distillates (vaseline, Jig-a-loo, differential oil, etc.) are good too except they tend to damage the plastic. A minority have used other oil types (cooking oil? bacon grease?? lol) but these are the two main types at the moment.

T-Minus One oil is a new blend composed of two high-tech lubricants, PFPE and molybdenum disulfide, in a base of mineral oil. PFPE (perfluoropolyether) is a synthetic oil developed by DuPont that is mainly used in aerospace engineering and vacuum pumps with similar properties to silicone oils but with the added advantage that it has a much lower vapor point meaning it doesn't "wear" away or dry out as easily. Since it's completely inert it also means that it's 100% safe for plastics. Its only disadvantage is that it's ridiculously expensive. Although it makes a fine lubricant on its own we found that it works even better when combined with molybdenum disulfide, a powdered dry lubricant similar to graphite (but better). The two complement each other well by lowering the effective viscosity for even longer lasting applications.

I am confident enough that anyone who regularly lubricates their cubes will find this a better alternative. To prove it I'm willing to give away some vials. I would like to make eligible those members who have posted reviews, particularly those on lubrication threads, who wouldn't mind posting a review here afterwards. If interested in trying out please respond to thread and pm me with a link to a previous review you have made as well as your shipping address.

The oil is available on Amazon and on my new cube shop Cubiteria.

Here's crossing my fingers that you will give this a shot :)

Ras

pdilla

Dang me and not posting reviews... I'll probably just get some and review it later. ;)

$$

TBH, I've always wanted to try out Krytox in cubes... I think I know what I'm going to get along with my new mini Aolong...

Last edited:

JemFish

Looks good.

EDIT: Your website looks quite...unprofessional. I don't know if it's just me, but all that showed up was HTML. There's so much competition out there (and for a small community too) that you really need to set really high standards to be noticed. The best cube company website I've seen is the Cubes4Speed website, and everything is perfect (except for some cheesy fonts). Perfection will help you and your cube shop shine, and good luck.

Last edited:

rasiel

It is unprofessional. Absolutely no argument there! This project started out with me and a Boeing engineering guy looking to start a new company selling high end plastic on plastic lubricants. Although I had had a Rubik's cube back when I was a kid in the 80's I didn't put two and two right away until just a few weeks ago! Still, I guess I really should pay someone to spruce it up a bit I guess... it's not my intention to become a major puzzle shop but imagine if all I had to sell were oil tubes :)

Pdilla, if you order the Aolong from me I'll be happy to throw in the oil for free! Just would ask that you post your review here.

Ras

JemFish

It is unprofessional. Absolutely no argument there! This project started out with me and a Boeing engineering guy looking to start a new company selling high end plastic on plastic lubricants. Although I had had a Rubik's cube back when I was a kid in the 80's I didn't put two and two right away until just a few weeks ago! Still, I guess I really should pay someone to spruce it up a bit I guess... it's not my intention to become a major puzzle shop but imagine if all I had to sell were oil tubes :)

Pdilla, if you order the Aolong from me I'll be happy to throw in the oil for free! Just would ask that you post your review here.

Ras

I see. Maybe you could consider selling through a major puzzle shop instead, and only your lubricant. I think that'll be far better for your business, and your lubricant will get famous quickly if you sell through resellers (like Cubes4Speed). I don't know, but I do have my eyes on your lubricant! Good luck.

pdilla

Ras

You don't have Mini Aolongs, unfortunately. But I'll be glad to review your lube for you if you'd like.

You don't see the pictures?

Perhaps he means that he expected at least some CSS.

Last edited:

CuBouz

I personally don't see any problems with his site. All the information I need in a very simple format. Keep things simple and keep cubes cheap ;)

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
I like the website. It means he can concentrate on good shop service rather than charging extra so he can pay a professional web developer, or even worse, spending half his time maintaining the website himself.

JemFish

I personally don't see any problems with his site. All the information I need in a very simple format. Keep things simple and keep cubes cheap ;)
I like the website. It means he can concentrate on good shop service rather than charging extra so he can pay a professional web developer, or even worse, spending half his time maintaining the website himself.

We shouldn't make excuses to be slack. You bring in half the customers from the pretty logo, or from the neat design, or from the amazing set-up of the store, or the sleek design of your website. I understand that things should be simple, and that he should have good shop management, but to be at the top, you can't compromise anything. But like I said, it would be better if he sold through another reseller.

I also like simple designs, but not no much simplistic designs.

Nice.