• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Any Podcast listeners?

pdilla

Hey folks!

I'm a huge consumer of podcasts and am always looking for more interesting things to listen to every week. If any of you are like me, you also have a large collection of podcasts that you love. So why not post what podcasts you are listening to along with a short description (in your own words) of what they're about. Hopefully this will help us all discover some new ear-candy.

Note: If a podcast contains explicit material, please let us know by placing a +18 near the title.

Comedy
Funny first, everything else second...

Last Podcast on the Left +18
Properly a comedy podcast about horror. Discussions range from serial killers, hate crimes, and horrific ways to die, to alien conspiracy theories, cyptozoology, and bumbling readings of Creepypasta. Hilarious and incredibly inappropriate. Megusta-lations!

- The Roundtable of Gentlemen +18
Imagine a group of NY comedians sitting together, having some beers, and talking about the most funniest things to hit the headlines (think r/nottheonion-esque stuff). The amount of inside jokes that this podcast alone has garnered for me and my friends is unreal. Again, hilarious and incredibly inappropriate.

- Unlimited Lives +18
A chaotic look at the world of gaming. Retro and current games are in discussion here. A no holds barred, constant giggle fest and way too much talking about Destiny.

- Abe Lincoln's Top Hat +18
If you're like me and don't keep up with politics, then this is the perfect podcast for you. Know what's going on in the world of social issues without the overly serious tone of boring TV shows. Special guests galore.

Radio Drama
Audio storytelling

- 99% Invisible
The world we live in is mostly a product of man. This is the story of those designs that you always notice but never think about. A mover and shaker in the world of podcasts, this is a must have for anyone and everyone.

- The Truth sometimes +18
Movies for your ears. No, really. This is the stuff that old school radio drama wished it could be. Unreal quality and immersion. The most top notch audio fiction that I've ever come across. I suggest starting with the episode entitled: That's Democracy.

- Criminal sometimes +18
Stories who've been on the wrong side of the law, or have been severely affected by terrible crimes. I suggest starting with the episode entitled: Break the Internet

- Love + Radio sometimes +18
Interviewing some of the most odd and interesting people you've never heard of. From an actual candidate for the future colonization and population of Mars to a man who's life was changed forever after coming across a bloodied man in the middle of the road. I strongly suggest starting with the episode entitled: Choir Boy

- Welcome to Nightvale
Weird. That's the best I can say. Weird. This is the radio broadcast from the fictional desert town of Nightvale where you can find normal everyday things like; floating cats in the men's bathroom, hooded figures in the dog park, a house that doesn't exist, the faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home, scientists with beautiful hair, the Sheriff's Secret Police, and even the most dreaded creature of them all.... Librarians.

- The NoSleep Podcast +18
Like Creepypastas? Hate reading? Perfect. An array of narrators read an array of Creepypastas for your enjoyment. Creepy atmospheric music and SFX accompany each story. There is a free version and a paid version of this podcast. There aren't many podcasts that I would pay for but I am happily paying for this one. HOURS and HOURS of content weekly. WORTH EVERY PENNY.

- Anything Ghost
I used to love telling scary stories around the campfire. This is precisely the kind of stuff you get. Real stories submitted by listeners told with some light, yet chilling, music and SFX. Original music by the host is played here as well. Very nice stuff.

- Knifepoint Horror
As you can tell by now, I love scary stuff. This one podcast very near and dear to my heart. It doesn't have the best audio quality, but the raw telling of a scary story (fiction) is sometimes the best way to scare yourself pantsless. Almost no SFX and no music. Just a voice and a story. Buckle up.

Trivia
If you're a trivia nerd, then look no further

- Good Job, Brain!
Ah man. If I could clone myself a bunch, this would be the kind of podcast I would probably make with myselves. They do themed episodes and talk about interesting facts and even do small quizzes. Goofy fun and a lot of poop jokes. I always know a whole lot more after listening to an episode. Yay for castoreum!

I don't like any other trivia podcast, actually... lol

Philosophy
"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Socrates
Analytic Philosophy, primarily surrounding Philosophy of Religion and Philosophy of Science, seeing as how they are the most interesting to me.

- Conversations from the Pale Blue Dot
Philosophy popularizer, Luke Muehlhauser's, podcast. Interacts extensively in Philosophy of Religion from a naturalistic perspective. Many interviews with top notch scholars in the Philosophy of Religion like Graham Oppy and Wes Morriston.

- Reasonable Faith
Philosopher of Religion, William Lane Craig's apologetics podcast. Deals with popular level discussions in the realm of Christian apologetics which overlaps with his work in Philosophy of Religion.

-The Partially Examined Life
Covers a wide range of basic general Philosophical topics. Got interesting when Dylan Casey joined and scientific topics were discussed.

Anywho, that's all I got for now. Sure I listen to a bunch more but these are the best that I would like to share with you all. I'll probably keep updating as time goes on.

Last edited:

ClovisKoo

WCA
2014KOOC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Every once in a while I'll listen to Kritzkast (a podcast based around a game called Team Fortress 2) and Creature Talk (a group of Youtubers talking about random stuff), there will be a few explicit jokes here and there (pretty rare though) and quite a bit of swearing on both so you might want to look out for that.
P.S. Before anyone asks why I didn't give Kritzkast an 18+ rating since TF2 is a shooting game, it's because they mostly talk about what the community has made and not much about the game itself

Last edited:

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
Yeah I love podcasts and I'm always on the lookout for new stuff as I spend a lot of time driving. Great idea.
My faves:

Comedy:
Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast (18+)
Hour-long interview and sparring with a different comedian every episode.

The Comedian's comedian (18+)
Similar to the above, but much more serious about the actual mechanics of the comedy

Other:

Serial
I think this is currently the top rated podcast out there. It's a discussion (in 12 parts) about a real-life murder and whether the guy convicted was innocent or not. Don't think its 18+ but a couple of the descriptions are a bit graphic.

Philosophize This!
Accessible philosophy. I didn't know I was interested in this stuff but it's top notch and now I never miss it.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
As above, I've enjoyed this without having any interest in the topic. Well presented and fascinating. Some fairly long episodes.

Here's the thing with Alec Baldwin (18+)
Interviews a variety of famous people that he admires and his genuine interest shines through.

I also listen to a bunch of business and self-improvement stuff - Entrepreneur on Fire, Tim Ferriss and Hal Elrod are all decent for a regular dose of motivation.

I've also downloaded Nightvale but haven't tried it yet. Looks good though.

pdilla

Oh yeah! There's a 2.0 now, right?

Serial
I think this is currently the top rated podcast out there. It's a discussion (in 12 parts) about a real-life murder and whether the guy convicted was innocent or not. Don't think its 18+ but a couple of the descriptions are a bit graphic.

I didn't really like Serial. It just didn't catch my interest for some reason.

Philosophize This!
Accessible philosophy. I didn't know I was interested in this stuff but it's top notch and now I never miss it.

I love (Analytic) Philosophy, and will probably update my podcast list above with a list of Philosophy podcasts that I listen to as well.

I've also downloaded Nightvale but haven't tried it yet. Looks good though.

It's iffy. I find it hilarious and interesting, but I know some people who find it dumb due to all the straight-faced nerd sarcasm humor.

Last edited:

EvilGnome6

Premium Member
WCA
2014DECO01
No Agenda +18

Adam Curry and John C. Dvorak deconstruct current events and how it is reported in mainstream media. They to do this with great insight and somehow manage to make you laugh out loud at the same. The show is entirely listener supported so they are free to tackle any scandalous topic from any angle. Even if you don't agree with John or Adam's analyses, that's OK. They often don't agree with each other. After all, they have No Agenda.

1w3playZ

WCA
2014MARS05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I listen to the Monstercat Podcasts, Tue usually starts a little before 5. Also, on the twitch app, MonsterCat has a 24-7 music streaming all day! Pretty sweet. And, if you missed the podcasts on tue, listen to it FRIDAY on youtube!