• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thread Icons - Cubes?

hawkmp4

I was thinking, as I was browsing the forums, how often I click on a thread and it sometimes takes a little while of reading the topic till I realize what puzzle is beign discussed. And then, I realized, that the thread icons as they are right now (the smiley face when you see this topic in the topic list for this forum) don't really serve much of a purpose.
So, I don't know if this is even possible, but if someone (me, or someone else) made a few icons to represent puzzles? like, there could be one for 2x2, 3x3, big cubes, pyraminx, megaminx, etc.
Anywho, if someone did that, how hard would it be to change the default icon set?

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
YES good idea. I'll make a few small GIF's if pjk wants? Even animate them ;)?

Also, what ever happened to the site icon, as well?

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Sounds like a great idea. I will try getting this done before summer's end.

Here is the site icon:
icon.png

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Sounds like a great idea. I will try getting this done before summer's end.

Here is the site icon:
icon.png

I meant the page icon (favicon) that appears in the URL bar or tab in most browsers... it isn't showing up in any browser I use. I can make some GIFs if you want, should I or will you do this?

hawkmp4

oooh, I like it, Stefan! JBCM, are you working on this, or do you want me to?

ConnorCuber

WCA
2008GRIE01
I would help if it weren't for my complete lack of skills. But there are some great ideas in this thread. I especially like the Scrambled/Unscrambled cubes for threads Unread and read.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Good ideas. JBCM, if you want, you can work on them. However, it is probably best to hold off for now until I find out exactly what sizes we need, what types, etc.

JBCM627

WCA
2006MERT01
Good ideas. JBCM, if you want, you can work on them. However, it is probably best to hold off for now until I find out exactly what sizes we need, what types, etc.

Ok, let me know. I'll start a few perhaps. Probably not animated; those can be tedious :eek:. Would size matter? As in, can you just have the browser resize them? I think the current ones are all GIFs.

Hey... you can have a competition like you did for the banner a while ago...

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, browsers can resize, but it'll look ugly. Here are some I made a while ago for the same purpose as suggested above.

Attachments

• off.gif
    off.gif
    284 bytes · Views: 52
  • on.gif
    on.gif
    330 bytes · Views: 52

hawkmp4

I like them, but I can't tell if its the vicodin for my wisdom teeth or if its actually the images, it looks like there are maybe some artifacts on the sides of the cube from compression or resizing.
But I really like the idea.

tim

WCA
2007HABE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As i expected, it doesn't look very good. But you should at least replace all "thread markers" (or however these little circles are called) with cubes.

closed threads could be marked with cubes which have an X pattern on them (red X on white background)

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I think it is a good idea, but making it look reasonable and fit within the size would be tough.

Another idea for read/unread posts/forums that may fit the design colors more would be to have a grey (forum grey) cube with blue squares every other or so, and then have a solid blue cube for the solved. The blue being the color of blue of the forum.