• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What Makes the Cubing Community Special?

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why are the best cubers male? Because of physical genes? Then why are the best chess players, poker players etc male?

Men and women do not have identical brains

I don't understand your point in your first paragraph? Can you please rephrase?

I agree that men and women do not have identical brains. However, I think that cultural pressures and interest in other things are why there are not more women at the top of speedcubing than there are currently.

It is true that more men/boys practice cubing than women/girls. You cannot conclude from that that men/boys are more capable of being great at cubing than women/girls. The most you can conclude from the observation is that more men/boys practice cubing than women/girls.

My argument for this being the status quo is not that women/girls are somehow less capable of cubing greatness, but rather than men/boys as a general rule are more interested in putting forth the effort to pursue cubing greatness. Just because there are "fewer" women in cubing who are great does not mean that women/girls have a reduced capability to be great as compared to men/boys.

JemFish

I don't understand your point in your first paragraph? Can you please rephrase?

I agree that men and women do not have identical brains. However, I think that cultural pressures and interest in other things are why there are not more women at the top of speedcubing than there are currently.

It is true that more men/boys practice cubing than women/girls. You cannot conclude from that that men/boys are more capable of being great at cubing than women/girls. The most you can conclude from the observation is that more men/boys practice cubing than women/girls.

My argument for this being the status quo is not that women/girls are somehow less capable of cubing greatness, but rather than men/boys as a general rule are more interested in putting forth the effort to pursue cubing greatness. Just because there are "fewer" women in cubing who are great does not mean that women/girls have a reduced capability to be great as compared to men/boys.

I totally agree with what you said. The "cultural pressures" is a big reason why girls/women often think that they aren't "capable of being great at cubing," while they actually can. I taught my 6-year-old brother how to solve a Rubik's Cube, so a girl twice as old as him can definitely do it.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm glad you said this, I almost said the same thing but a lot meaner out of anger.

Anyway, for evidence showing that women are completely capable of holding world records, look no further than Yu Da Hyun.

It's just women are not represented statistically as well as men. It's the same argument between Roux and CFOP. It's impossible to say which one is better because Roux is so underrepresented.

There are biological differences between men and women, but none of those differences should have any impact on ability to solve a Rubik's Cube.

Last edited by a moderator: