• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What Makes the Cubing Community Special?

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys, I thought I would share some thoughts on what I think is an important question:

Tell me what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ha... early in the video I was thinking that other hobbies have all that stuff as well and thus cubing isn't really special. And then you said exactly that. And I thought about joking what does make it special is that it has me. And then you kinda said exactly that :) (well, not me for everyone, but everyone for themselves, like you said). So we seem to agree...

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think our community is special for 3 reasons:
1. The awesomeness of our hobby
2. The average age and gender of our members (teenage boys)
3. How all of our members have common goals of improvement, can relate to eachother, help eachother, and encoure the P word. These three reasons makes all of our members very nice and sociable people, even if they dont know it.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. While it is kind of a stereotype, I think there is a lot of truth to the fact that most cubers have pretty high IQs.
2. We aren't afraid to be a little nerdy and express ourselves.
3. Most of the community is willing to help newbies out and help them get faster.
4. That moment when you look at the timer and see a PB, or take a blindfold off and see a solved cube.
5. We are for the most part very humorous and fun loving.
6. The fact that everyone thinks we're geniuses when we are just normal people
7. That unlike something such as soccer or baseball or something, anyone can become pretty good at cubing with some practice.
8. That's pretty much it, there's nothing more to say other than that we're awesome!

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is nothing special or unique about our community. You could take on any other hobby that you are passionate about and get involved in an identical community there. For example, before I got into speedcubing I was really into Age of Mythology. I was very involved with one of the main international forum communities then and it was much the same as this community (although significantly more developed).

Last edited:

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
I think our community is special for 3 reasons:
1. The awesomeness of our hobby
2. The average age and gender of our members (teenage boys)
3. How all of our members have common goals of improvement, can relate to eachother, help eachother, and encoure the P word. These three reasons makes all of our members very nice and sociable people, even if they dont know it.
So teenage boys make it special? I think it's more that everyone is friendly rather than being the same age/gender. The older, younger and female people here are all just as great to be around as everyone else.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So teenage boys make it special? I think it's more that everyone is friendly rather than being the same age/gender. The older, younger and female people here are all just as great to be around as everyone else.

I mean that we are mostly in the same age group and can relate to eachother. Im not saying that younger/older/female membrs harm the community at all, and I believe that some variety is great, and more people is always better.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
I mean that we are mostly in the same age group and can relate to eachother. Im not saying that younger/older/female membrs harm the community at all, and I believe that some variety is great, and more people is always better.
I didn't think you meant that, I just think that even if there were no teenage boys here, aside from being less busy, it wouldn't change all that much.
I much prefer teenage girls... ;) Not too many of those in speedcubing though
Yeah, there were only 2 or 3 at my last comp. [emoji22]

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's it. I'm tired of all you young teenage boys overrunning the place. I'm leaving. :p

No dont do that! Average age and gender of our community could have easily been adult women, but it isnt. I guess us young boys have nothing to do other than homework in our spare time since we dont really have to make money. Besides, older cubers are usually the ones who invent methods and influence the community the most, and most cubers would be nowhere without help from a certain cuber named JESSICA FRIDRICH.

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No dont do that! Average age and gender of our community could have easily been adult women, but it isnt. I guess us young boys have nothing to do other than homework in our spare time since we dont really have to make money. Besides, older cubers are usually the ones who invent methods and influence the community the most, and most cubers would be nowhere without help from a certain cuber named JESSICA FRIDRICH.

Except she used to be a he.

cashis

4. That moment when you look at the timer and see a PB, or take a blindfold off and see a solved cube.

these two are possibly the most unique aspects of cubing, to me at least.
no other hobby or sport (to me) has the unique rush of excitement from a PB or a finished blindsolve, and that's why I love this community and what we do.

josh42732

1. While it is kind of a stereotype, I think there is a lot of truth to the fact that most cubers have pretty high IQs.
2. We aren't afraid to be a little nerdy and express ourselves.
3. Most of the community is willing to help newbies out and help them get faster.
5. We are for the most part very humorous and fun loving.
7. That unlike something such as soccer or baseball or something, anyone can become pretty good at cubing with some practice.
8. That's pretty much it, there's nothing more to say other than that we're awesome!

Dang. You just made my day. Maybe even life. That's deep.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dang. You just made my day. Maybe even life. That's deep.
Lol, I wasn't trying to be deep, but thanks. :)

these two are possibly the most unique aspects of cubing, to me at least.
no other hobby or sport (to me) has the unique rush of excitement from a PB or a finished blindsolve, and that's why I love this community and what we do.
Yup, or like when a solve has super good flow or fast TPS.