• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Competition in NYC?

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I went to the WCA website, and I was surprised to find that there has never been a competition in New York City. Sure there have been some in the state, but my dad does NOT want to travel far for competitions (we had to print out directions to go to Somerset for Red Cross). So I was wondering if there were any cubers in the area that would want to organize a competition. My dad knows NYC very well, so that'd be really convenient for me, and probably other cubers. Hmm, maybe I could show some friends how to solve the Rubik's Cube and where to go from there. Welp, I went on a bit of a tangent, didn't I? You might be wondering, why would I ask someone else to organize a competition instead of doing it myself? Well, short answer, I'm 12, long answer, I'm 12 I'm 12.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
I have been to at least two competitions in NYC. Most recently, I hosted a competition in New York City on October 26 this year.

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
I kind of wish I was cubing back then, because I could probably get lucky and take down the 2x2 world record with a last layer skip or something. I'm pretty bad at everything else.
But you'd have to use a Rubik's brand because the 2x2 you use now probably wasn't invented yet.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's recommended to avoid posting multiple times at once(pretty sure this is a forum rule.)

You can probably organize a competition when you're that young, my first was when I was 14, and I'm sure there have been younger organizers.

AlexMaass

WCA
2011MAAS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
anyway, there may be a New York City competition soon, I got the venue for the FMC one, it was a studio that my uncle owned or something.
What the erp? There were only 3 people in the New York venue.
Don't worry we had a good time though lol.
I got a third place award for the area by dnfing xD.

Last edited:

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay.

anyway, there may be a New York City competition soon, I got the venue for the FMC one, it was a studio that my uncle owned or something.

Don't worry we had a good time though lol.
I got a third place award for the area by dnfing xD.

Wow, that must have been fun. Everyone there got a medal.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandbest1

WCA
2011LINB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So a long time ago I asked Bob why there aren't many NYC competitions...he said it's mainly because holding a competition in New York City is pretty costly. Your best bet is the surrounding areas; I live in Queens, but pretty much all the competitions have been 1 and a half hours or more away. Although the closest one I have been to was the one at the Liberty Science Center, which was 40~ minutes away.

A long time ago, my parents wouldn't let me go to competitions that were more than an hour away, but I believe they have become more lenient about this; hopefully your parents will do the same too!

P.S. If you're curious, I organized the unofficial competition at Stuyvesant High School last year and the previous year. If you're a NYC public high school (or middle school) student, you're in luck. We're going to be holding another one this year sometime in June. Just to give you a heads up (as well as Bob :) )

WCA
2014ATTI01
So a long time ago I asked Bob why there aren't many NYC competitions...he said it's mainly because holding a competition in New York City is pretty costly. Your best bet is the surrounding areas; I live in Queens, but pretty much all the competitions have been 1 and a half hours or more away. Although the closest one I have been to was the one at the Liberty Science Center, which was 40~ minutes away.

A long time ago, my parents wouldn't let me go to competitions that were more than an hour away, but I believe they have become more lenient about this; hopefully your parents will do the same too!

P.S. If you're curious, I organized the unofficial competition at Stuyvesant High School last year and the previous year. If you're a NYC public high school (or middle school) student, you're in luck. We're going to be holding another one this year sometime in June. Just to give you a heads up (as well as Bob :) )

nice, my friend is in Tech. even though its not official, would still love to go. Pm me if anything. thanks, its super close to my house in brooklyn. Stuy is cool and would love to go there for a comp, my parents haven't seen stuy yet, took the test at tech so it would be a cool opportunity to see it and cube.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Come to MD please <3

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the heads up. I hope to be able to make it this year.

You can probably organize a competition when you're that young, my first was when I was 14, and I'm sure there have been younger organizers.

The problem here isn't really age...it's experience. I'm getting old and tired so I don't have as much patience for new organizers as I used to. As a result, I make new organizers host an unofficial competition first before I agree to delegate for them. Justin's competition was an exception I made because of his experience (he had 4 years and 28 competitions experience).

If there is one relatively near NYC, or in NYC PM me, the closest ones I could find were New Jersey, Red Cross Open was amazing, but pretty far away.

You have no idea how spoiled you are. My first competition was in another country--more than two years after I started cubing (the previous competition was held before I was born). I didn't have another opportunity to compete until 2 years later when I flew 3000 miles to California for the opportunity and then flew 1000 miles for my next opportunity after that. That year, I competed in 3x3 six times: California, Illinois, New York, Texas, Netherlands, and Florida. For the next several years, the only competitions I attended were either far away or I had to delegate them.

Kids these days...geez.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the heads up. I hope to be able to make it this year.

The problem here isn't really age...it's experience. I'm getting old and tired so I don't have as much patience for new organizers as I used to. As a result, I make new organizers host an unofficial competition first before I agree to delegate for them. Justin's competition was an exception I made because of his experience (he had 4 years and 28 competitions experience).

You have no idea how spoiled you are. My first competition was in another country--more than two years after I started cubing (the previous competition was held before I was born). I didn't have another opportunity to compete until 2 years later when I flew 3000 miles to California for the opportunity and then flew 1000 miles for my next opportunity after that. That year, I competed in 3x3 six times: California, Illinois, New York, Texas, Netherlands, and Florida. For the next several years, the only competitions I attended were either far away or I had to delegate them.

Kids these days...geez.

Can confirm, MN group considers a 5 hour drive "close". All all you guys with the comps every month within an hour are super lucky :(