• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How to practice individual CFOP steps?

josh42732

This is my second new thread and I was just wondering how to improve individual CFOP steps. I average around 25-35 seconds, know full PLL( learned it around 40 seconds, I just learned it because I thought that the longer I knew them the faster they'll get) and know the concept of look ahead for F2L. With the metronome drill, I struggle at 70 BPM. I know full edge control to have all edges oriented after inserting my last F2L pair and only know the edge OLL's. My cross is decent(in my opinion), I do it in about 5 seconds with about 10-15 moves. Every solve I do, I don't look ahead but when I am in the car or something, I do slow solves and look ahead. How should I practice each and every step? How can I practice PLL's to Sub-2? How can I learn full OLL? How can I learn COLL(for edge oriented cases)? I have no idea how to even start learning full OLL and COLL for edge oriented cases. How can I apply look-ahead to my solves? How can I practice getting the cross in 8 moves or less? This may sound weird, but ever since I started speedcubing, it has been my dream to be Sub-20 and I know that improving these areas will get me there. The only problem is I don't know how to practice each and every step so they are where I want them to be. I need a consistent practice schedule and I will post an average of 5, or 12 if you need to look at my solves. I am very willing and open to anything that you can help me with. My current goals are:
1. Have all PLL's Sub-2
2. Know Full OLL
3. Finish F2L+cross in under 10 seconds
4. Know a lot of COLL cases
5. Be Sub-20
Can you give me a suggested practice schedule so I can achieve these goals? I have about 30 minutes a day to cube with school in the way. I am willing to do anything to get Sub-20. Thank you for your time and help! I appreciate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

rjcaste

WCA
2015CAST24
I am currently averaging around 20 seconds and I can say that you definitely don't need full OLL or neither COLL to be sub-20. F2L is definitely the most important step, and look-ahead will probably be the main factor in getting you sub-20. Those pauses really hurt your times. I don't recommend learning Full OLL or COLL at all. You should probably be doing those at about sub-15.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am sub 15 and only know 1-5 COLLs and not full OLL.
Also, Fabien Auroux doesn't know full OLL and has got an official sub 12 average, so you don't need to know full OLL until around 15 seconds I think

Last edited:

josh42732

We'll OLL and COLL are what I want to learn a little so that when I am sub-15 or when I need to start learning them, I will know how to learn them.

rjcaste

WCA
2015CAST24
I know this is hard, but after completing the cross (this is not timed), spot two pairs and plan them both out for insertion. Then, close your eyes and execute the solution. Do the same for the two other pairs. I personally have a lot of trouble doing this, but it works. There is alternate method where you are about 3 moves away from inserting an F2L pair and you look for the second pair. When you are 3 moves away from inserting that pair, spot the next pair. Make it so inbetween inserting the pairs there is a smooth transition. Eventually, you will not have to pause at the 3 moves away, you will already have the next pair planned. I'll link a helpful video explaining a bunch of ways to improve look-ahead and that explains it in-depth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE7jYOXbgg

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My cross is decent(in my opinion), I do it in about 5 seconds with about 10-15 moves.
Your cross sucks. :p No, really... every cross can be solved with 8 moves or less (and only one case requires all 8 moves). Work on more efficient cross <8 moves. Are you able to plan full cross during inspection and execute with your eyes closed?
when I am in the car or something, I do slow solves and look ahead.
Do more slow solves and look ahead.
How can I practice PLL's to Sub-2?
Find good algs with fingertricks that work for you. Drill, drill, drill. Also, just more practice will naturally make your PLLs faster since you will be used to turning faster. Just a note that I am about sub-15 now and I still can't sub-2 all my PLLs.
How can I learn full OLL?
Just learn one a day or fewer (normally I recommend as many or few as you can handle but since you have only half an hour...) Use flash cards (I made my own).
How can I learn COLL(for edge oriented cases)? I have no idea how to even start learning full OLL and COLL for edge oriented cases.
Forget COLL for now, I say.
How can I apply look-ahead to my solves?
Just turn slow and look ahead. Then you will practice look ahead. Eventually your look ahead will get better then you can turn faster.
How can I practice getting the cross in 8 moves or less?
Check out other people's example solves. I watched one of badmephisto's videos on advanced cross when I learned.
Can you give me a suggested practice schedule so I can achieve these goals? I have about 30 minutes a day to cube with school in the way.
Don't concentrate on every area every day.
1. Drill your slowest PLL over and over for a couple minutes and to warm up. (Time your PLLs if you don't know which is slowest.)
2. Review any OLLs you learned recently to make sure you still know them. If there is at least one you forgot, practice that one. If you know them all, pick a new OLL to learn (start with easier ones) and spend some time learning it until you think you know it well and drill it a bit.
3. Focus on one other area that needs work - cross or look ahead. (See above for how to work on that area.)
4. Do some full solves without timing yourself. Make sure to recognize any new OLLs you learned and perform the correct 1-look alg.
5. Maybe timed solves only once a week to see if you have any progress, but untimed solves will do you more good.

I am willing to do anything to get Sub-20. Thank you for your time and help! I appreciate it!
More time to practice means getting to sub-20 faster. And you're welcome!

Edit: Cross focused practice - scramble cube after cross is solved.
Look ahead focused practice - do blind pairs. Someone suggested looking at two pairs. Make sure you can do one before you do two. Also, some timers can give you scrambles with the cross already done.

Last edited:

josh42732

Thank you! Do you have a recommended website that I should start learning OLL from that is in the easiest to learn and recognize to the hardest? Also a tutorial to learn them would be helpful.

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would probably be easily sub-20, but my (full)PLL takes terribly long. Usually I average around 20-25 seconds.Sometimes I have my F2L done at 13 sec., and it takes me all that time to do my PLL( 7,8 sec.). But these are also the times when I get a T perm and pb.

rjcaste

WCA
2015CAST24
Your cross sucks. :p No, really... every cross can be solved with 8 moves or less (and only one case requires all 8 moves). Work on more efficient cross <8 moves. Are you able to plan full cross during inspection and execute with your eyes closed?

Do more slow solves and look ahead.

Find good algs with fingertricks that work for you. Drill, drill, drill. Also, just more practice will naturally make your PLLs faster since you will be used to turning faster. Just a note that I am about sub-15 now and I still can't sub-2 all my PLLs.

Just learn one a day or fewer (normally I recommend as many or few as you can handle but since you have only half an hour...) Use flash cards (I made my own).

Forget COLL for now, I say.

Just turn slow and look ahead. Then you will practice look ahead. Eventually your look ahead will get better then you can turn faster.

Check out other people's example solves. I watched one of badmephisto's videos on advanced cross when I learned.

Don't concentrate on every area every day.
1. Drill your slowest PLL over and over for a couple minutes and to warm up. (Time your PLLs if you don't know which is slowest.)
2. Review any OLLs you learned recently to make sure you still know them. If there is at least one you forgot, practice that one. If you know them all, pick a new OLL to learn (start with easier ones) and spend some time learning it until you think you know it well and drill it a bit.
3. Focus on one other area that needs work - cross or look ahead. (See above for how to work on that area.)
4. Do some full solves without timing yourself. Make sure to recognize any new OLLs you learned and perform the correct 1-look alg.
5. Maybe timed solves only once a week to see if you have any progress, but untimed solves will do you more good.

More time to practice means getting to sub-20 faster. And you're welcome!

Edit: Cross focused practice - scramble cube after cross is solved.
Look ahead focused practice - do blind pairs. Someone suggested looking at two pairs. Make sure you can do one before you do two. Also, some timers can give you scrambles with the cross already done.

I agree with everything that you said. Practice makes perfect.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice makes perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect.
Practice makes permanent.

I average sub-13 and am a horrible cuber.
I never learned G-perms until recently, and when I did, I only learned three of them and with nonstandard algs.
I haven't finished OLL and am still stuck at about 53/57.
I haven't properly learned how to do F2L.
I would rather take 15 moves to force an OLL skip than deal with OLL.
I rotate all the time and really shouldn't.

So it's possible to get sub-20 without finishing stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's a long road. Practice makes permanent, and a lot of time is spent unlearning things in order to learn them another way and then properly apply the new knowledge to solves so things can be executed as effortlessly as before.

tl;dr Don't learn too fast that your memory can't keep up. Don't learn too slow to develop bad habits. Eliminate as many bad habits as you can consciously, off the clock, and then work blindly with the clock to check your progress.

rjcaste

WCA
2015CAST24

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dunno if you want that, man... I think it's his fault that I know: R U R' F' R U R' U R U' R' U' R' F R2 U R' U' R U' R' (21/22)

There's that one (credit to Nathaniel <3), and then the emerging R2' F2 R U2 R U2' R' F R U R' U' R' F R2, and then the worst of all: R2' S2 U l2' U' l2' u R2 U' r2' F2.
If you have to learn one, learn the R2' F2 one because it's actually good. The 21-mover I can get in 1.6, and the R2' S2 I can get in about 2.