• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi there. It's been 2 years since I read or wrote something in these forums. I was still cubing but only to keep my abilities at the same level. I have started again to practice more seriously. One question though : What is THE 3x3 nowadays ? I'm still using my good old white Zanchi and a Moyu (I think it's a weilong, can't remember the name, it's their first 3x3 with which Feliks did some WR).

Thanks !

Then it's a Weilong, yes. Your question cannot be answered. There is no THE 3x3 these days, but like at least 6-8 top notch cubes that are more or less equally great. From memory:
Moyu Aolong v2, Yuxin 3x3, Congs' Design Meiying, Moyu Tanglong, Gans 356, QiYi Thunderclap, just talking about the latest and greatest but there are others almost as good as Moyu Hua(n)long, Cong's Yueying, Gans 357... I'm forgetting a couple, for sure. And apparently there are more to come, like the Aolong GT

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
On average, how many moves should an X-cross be?

Not sure what you mean by that question. I'd say if the x-cross is more than 10 moves then you're better off with just regular cross + tracking the pair. I'm much slower than you but at times I try to preserve a pair to get an x-cross and the final time ends up being slower than most regular solves. But maybe you are able to execute without thinking a whole x-cross that's 10 moves or longer while tracking your second pair. I definitely cannot do that.

Robinbar

Hi,
I have a gans 356, I hear that there are new center caps to prevent catching? What is the difference between the new and old center caps?
How can I tell wich ones I have on my gans, the new ones or the old ones?

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
I have a gans 356, I hear that there are new center caps to prevent catching? What is the difference between the new and old center caps?
How can I tell wich ones I have on my gans, the new ones or the old ones?

The new ones are more rounded. You can get this with the old centres just by sanding or you could buy some new ones from various cubing stores.

EDIT: ERMAGERD PERST 666

Last edited:

JeLe

Practise. Learn Roux. Watch some fingertrick videos. Use 3/4 or 4/5 fingers for M2.

On that note, do most people do middle finger before ring finger for an M2 or ring before middle? I've realized that I'm inconsistent with how I execute M slices.

MindGap

Is this a special case?

I have become stuck on the middle layer with a top face (yellow) edge piece in the middle row edge and my tutorial book (Dan Harris), though it has many "special case" scenarios for the EZ solving process does not seem to provide me with a good resolution.

There is a "Middle Layer Edge Piece in the Middle Layer" displacement case - where "no more solvable edges in the top laye, yet the middle layer is incomplete. This can happen when 2 middle layer edge pieces are swapped over..." but this appears to be a top layer edge diagonally opposite its correct position.

I still can't describe the cube with notation so here is a pic of my situation (pls note that my red/green is opposite to BOY)

Cube_middle-opposite-top-edge-swap.JPG

cubeguy2004

WCA
2014MINA01
where should i learn my PLL and OLL algs?

I'm currently using CFOP and i'm learning OLL and PLL.
I can't find any good websites with the algorithms and i'm wondering if you can recommend any good sites. I'm currently using algdb.net

Aaron Lau

algdb.net no competition
how can u not like it, it has soooo many algs to choose from
there are also good algs at chris olsen's website and the speedsolving wiki pages.

Robinbar

Hi,
Does anyone know some good N perm algorithms?
I currently use for the
Na: L U L' y' R U R' F R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' F' U F
Nb: R' U L' U2 R U' L R' U L' U2 R
U' L U'
I think of chanching the Na to this one: R U R' U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U2 R U' R'. Is that a good idea? Or are my current algs good?

Berd

WCA
2014LONG06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
Does anyone know some good N perm algorithms?
I currently use for the
Na: L U L' y' R U R' F R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U' F' U F
Nb: R' U L' U2 R U' L R' U L' U2 R
U' L U'
I think of chanching the Na to this one: R U R' U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R' U2 R U' R'. Is that a good idea? Or are my current algs good?
The Cubologist has a good tutorial!

Kaleb

Im learning how to lookahead by turning very slow and not doing any unnecessary turns. While im learning lookahead should i also start learning extended cross as well.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Im learning how to lookahead by turning very slow and not doing any unnecessary turns. While im learning lookahead should i also start learning extended cross as well.

Yes. X-crosses are very useful. Try using a little bit more inspection; maybe only plan out the 2x2x2 at first if you can't plan the full thing.

Robinbar

HI,
does anyone have any tips to do the cross as fast as possible, my cross in relation to f2l takes quite long, how can I shorten it?
It is like my fingers are in the way, I use alot of F moves on the cube, and what exactly is an extended cross? How does that differ from a normal cross?