• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lawrence Spring Open 2015 (Kansas, USA)

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yup, not 1 week after the first one, I already know (mostly) what to do for the second one. I would personally like to get Kevin Hays out here as he's going to school in St. Louis (about 5-6 hours away). Kit messaged him about it, and apparently if I had 6x6 as an event, he would be likely to come for the competition on March 21st or March 28th. My school is not open on March 21st, so the comp would be held on March 28th.

The events would be:
3 rounds of 3x3
3 rounds of 2x2
at least 1 round of 5x5 (cutoffs are tentative, but will likely be soft 2:30 hard 5:00)
1 round of 6x6 (cutoffs are tentative, but will be very strict [we're talking like soft 2:25 hard 3:15])
1 or 2 rounds of Megaminx (cutoffs will likely be soft 2:30 hard 4:30/5:00)

The rest are undecided. Skewb and Pyraminx are very likely to happen (because they are quick events if nothing else). 4x4 is a maybe, 3BLD and OH are probable. 7x7 is out of the question, same with MBLD and 4BLD. 5BLD is also very unlikely. Clock is not going to happen, and Square-1 is a possibility. I might be able to do 3Feet in a competition after this one, but it won't happen for this one.

Most of this post is just written to start generating ideas. Nothing here is definite (except having 3x3, 2x2, Mega, 5x5 and 6x6 (if Kevin can come)).

Would anyone come to this?

Edit: here's the link for the lazy http://www.cubingusa.com/LawrenceSpring2015/

Last edited:

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
skweb and pyraminx should happen I think. I don't have a 4x4 (although I may soon) but It should happen. 3BLD would be fun to watch (if there are enough people that would do it) that's my two cents

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like I said, Skewb and Pyraminx are very likely to happen already. They only take about 30-40 minutes each, so we could go through them quickly. I feel like I can't have too many long events, and I already have 5x5 and 6x6, so 4x4 (an event I don't particularly enjoy) might not happen, and 3BLD is hit-and-miss.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
So 67 people in the world would be able to make cutoff? I understand the need to be strict, but with a Mean of 3 event, 4:30 is probably plenty strict enough.

4:30 as the soft cutoff or the hard cutoff? I really don't want it to take up that much time. Would it be probable to have 6x6 during lunch so it doesn't eat up too much of the competition?

Your 6x6 cutoffs are unreal. Only Kevin would meet those. Few people in the Midwest are that fast.

For the most part, the event was pretty much added for Kevin :p

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
4:30 as the soft cutoff or the hard cutoff? I really don't want it to take up that much time. Would it be probable to have 6x6 during lunch so it doesn't eat up too much of the competition?

For the most part, the event was pretty much added for Kevin :p

You gotta put it into proportion. That's like saying you're having 9 second soft for 3x3.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
You gotta put it into proportion. That's like saying you're having 9 second soft for 3x3.

I'm not sure if using 3x3 as an example is very fair. The difference is that everyone (except that ONE GUY in every competition) signs up for 3x3. Even if the cutoffs were looser, there's just not that many people that would sign up for 6x6. I would agree that the cutoffs are pretty strict, but it's also an event that I don't know much about, nor have I seen any competitions (except Nats) that had 6x6 as an event to use as an example.

ShadenSmith

WCA
2008SMIT01
Even if the cutoffs were looser, there's just not that many people that would sign up for 6x6. I would agree that the cutoffs are pretty strict, but it's also an event that I don't know much about, nor have I seen any competitions (except Nats) that had 6x6 as an event to use as an example.

So why waste time on 6x6? If you're not willing to dedicate the time to hold the event properly (with a reasonable cut-off) and you don't think many people will register anyway, why hold it? You're designing the competition around one competitor's wishes. Either use that time on an event people would like (and would actually get to finish!), or make the 6x6 cut-offs reasonable. 4:30-5:00 is fine and won't take up much time since there will be few people doing it. When it comes to big cubes, that extra 2:00 of solving won't really be the bottleneck. It'll be getting enough scramblers to saturate your timing stations.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Are you trying to hold a competition solely for Kevin Hays to come? Are you serious?

I knew there was fanboying, but that's pathetic. If you're going to have a cutoff, make it so more than Kevin can compete. A 3:15 hard cutoff is like having an 11 second 3x3 hard cutoff.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay guys, I'll take the hint! I never even said that the cutoffs were final!

I'll admit: I probably should have done some more research on the event, and I probably should have re-thought the fact that not too many people would register for the event as a good(ish) thing instead of a bad thing. Thank you Shaden for helping me realize that. Depending on how many people would register, would 4:15-4:45 seem probable as a soft cutoff?

And Keaton: I resent your statement. My goal was to make competitions in Central USA a thing. This competition was going to happen regardless whether or not Kevin would come.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would do 6x6. Never done it before though. I have to buy one and practice, but I average about 2:45 on 5x5 so I think that I will be able to make a 4:15-4:45. It would be awesome if Kevin could come. I would love to meet him.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay guys, I'll take the hint! I never even said that the cutoffs were final!

I'll admit: I probably should have done some more research on the event, and I probably should have re-thought the fact that not too many people would register for the event as a good(ish) thing instead of a bad thing. Thank you Shaden for helping me realize that. Depending on how many people would register, would 4:15-4:45 seem probable as a soft cutoff?

And Keaton: I resent your statement. My goal was to make competitions in Central USA a thing. This competition was going to happen regardless whether or not Kevin would come.

Surely a 3:15 suggested hard cutoff would imply that you'd be holding an event for one person.

4:30/7:00 are reasonable soft/hard cutoffs.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also consider that you have only one chance to make cutoff in mean of 3, making it significantly harder to make compared to two chances in an average of 5. I'd say that 4:30 is kinda strict, 5:00 is fair.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll probably go with 4:45/7:00 depending on the amount of competitors that sign up for the event.

Surely a 3:15 suggested hard cutoff would imply that you'd be holding an event for one person.
Now you're saying event. Before you said "Are you trying to hold a competition solely for Kevin Hays to come?" The competition: absolutely not, not even a little. The event: to a certain extent.

Although, after giving the event some thought, a few long events would help break up the speed of the other events that go by quickly (which was most events in my previous comp that I held). So, even if Kevin Hays couldn't come, I'll probably still stick with having 6x6 as an event. The long events I will end here though. Megaminx, 5x5, and 6x6 (and likely 3BLD) are enough for one comp. Especially if I'm still going to have 3 rounds of 3x3 and 2x2.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll probably go with 4:45/7:00 depending on the amount of competitors that sign up for the event.

Now you're saying event. Before you said "Are you trying to hold a competition solely for Kevin Hays to come?" The competition: absolutely not, not even a little. The event: to a certain extent.

I was a little harsher in my first post than I should have been, sorry.

But your ideas about breaking up the competition are kinda true, but it'll still feel very fast-paced and rushed. Every competition kinda feels like that.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Apology accepted.

Not every competition feels like that, especially if you're not part of the staff. I could realistically say that Lawrence Open 2014, or at least after lunch time, wasn't overwhelming. Hell, we were even ahead of schedule and got to tack on another round of Skewb. It really just boils down to the amount of competitors, number of events, and staff. For LO14, there weren't too many competitors, so it wasn't too terribly rushed.

The main problems I would really have with including 3 long events would be to make sure they don't eat up too much time, especially if many people sign up for the event. (*cough*5x5*cough*)