• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Lawrence Spring Open 2015 (Kansas, USA)

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Either way, you should compete. Central USA doesn't get many competitions (that very reason is why I've decided to start hosting my own), so if you miss this one, then it will be quite a while until the next. (Probably until June or July or something. My school isn't open during the summer, so I would have to find a new venue.)

If it makes you feel any better, I know of a guy who is competing that can barely even solve the cube :p

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Either way, you should compete. Central USA doesn't get many competitions (that very reason is why I've decided to start hosting my own), so if you miss this one, then it will be quite a while until the next. (Probably until June or July or something. My school isn't open during the summer, so I would have to find a new venue.)

If it makes you feel any better, I know of a guy who is competing that can barely even solve the cube :p
Yeah, Anthony you should go while you have the chance.

Also Dan Choi and I would like to host one in Olathe/Overland park sometime this year, but we don't have anything planned yet.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have not looked into it to much but I would think the first thing to do would be find a venue where you may be able to (you could see if your school would let you use it like shadow did) I would be on an organization team

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have not looked into it to much but I would think the first thing to do would be find a venue where you may be able to (you could see if your school would let you use it like shadow did) I would be on an organization team
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could get my school. Maybe not for free but at least cheap. I am already in pretty good standings with my school concerning cubes because I taught a Rubik's class on how to solve a 3x3 after school for my school's math club (even though ironically it involved no math) and the teacher of the club is really nice so who knows? I think that the first step would be to find a delegate though.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So when we talk about cutoffs at competitions what exactly does that mean?
Cutoffs are times that you have to be under in order to do that event, The purpose of cutoffs is to make sure the comp doesn't take forever. It isn't used for short events like 3x3 because even if you are slow it doesn't take long. There are soft cutoffs and hard cutoffs. If you do a solve and can't make the soft cutoff then your solve and average is DNFd, but if you make the soft cutoff but not the hard cutoff you have one more solve to be under the hard cutoff or the average is DNFd

danchoi955

A lot of my PB's were done with an old method that I am trying to break myself away from. I am now going to Fridrich F2L intuitive which makes my times range from 55 - 90 seconds.

Ha ha, we need to play together at the comp while the youngsters have their moments with the famous and celebrity cubers. I've been trying to get my solve below 1-minute but it ain't happening. My only grand moment is when I was able to beat my son...I solved one, while he solved 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4. But I lost when I solved one and he solved five 3x3's. Yes, there's a lot of room for improvements...which is why you should compete, to improve your PB.

danchoi955

Ok, I cleared it. Sorry, it's filled up pretty quick from messaging a lot of people haha. Yeah, a delegate is definitely the first thing.

I tried six delegates for Feb 21st last month, and all said no! I would like to do one this summer so will definitely talk to the veteran cubers at the Lawrence comp and start planning.

danchoi955

They were all busy, but I have their contact information so it's a matter of drilling down the time. Summer is pretty busy for me, so I haven't been able to narrow down a date yet.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
and a venue. I have been looking for venues and the best I have come up with is a library and I have not contacted them about it (I am on pretty good terms with a few of the librarians but that branch is no where near big enough)

danchoi955

and a venue. I have been looking for venues and the best I have come up with is a library and I have not contacted them about it (I am on pretty good terms with a few of the librarians but that branch is no where near big enough)

I found a church in Olathe that's willing as long as the date doesn't conflict with their other events. Price is reasonable, but I'm willing to pay for it out of my pocket to host it locally, which is cheaper than traveling to a comp more than 5 hrs away. Gas, hotel, food, etc. all adds up.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
They were all busy, but I have their contact information so it's a matter of drilling down the time. Summer is pretty busy for me, so I haven't been able to narrow down a date yet.
Well out of six surely one of them will be able to find a good date.

Yeah, we'd probably need at least a 3500 square foot room and tables with it. My school is definitely an option, I haven't talked to anybody about it yet, but I bet I could get it. I was like looking stuff about square feet and a high school basketball court is 4200 square feet and so the whole gym is probably more like 9,000.

I found a church in Olathe that's willing as long as the date doesn't conflict with their other events. Price is reasonable, but I'm willing to pay for it out of my pocket to host it locally, which is cheaper than traveling to a comp more than 5 hrs away. Gas, hotel, food, etc. all adds up.
I've walked around inside before just exploring it and if I'm picturing the same room as you are talking about that would be more than enough. Also, I would split the cost of renting it, and then we should also probably pay whoever the delegate will be for gas and a hotel. I don't really want to lose money doing this comp though nor do I want to really profit, so we should plan to come out about even.

shadowkiller168

Premium Member
WCA
2014PASC03
YouTube
Visit Channel
First of all, I would like to say that I am proud of what you guys are doing, and you have my full support! You are all accomplishing exactly what my goal was to begin with: getting some people to take the initiative to get some comps throughout the USA (more specifically central USA).

If you need any help planning this, do not hesitate to contact me.

What I would suggest doing is (before you contact the delegate) have an outline of the events you want to have, the schedule, and the general time frame of when you want to host it. Also have some venues in mind.

Send a delegate (ANY USA delegate will do as many are willing to fly) your proposal and hope for the best. It might not be on the exact date that you want, but it might have to do. Just be reasonable on the date. Something like Easter Sunday would not be a good idea.

If anyone needs any additional advice, don't hesitate to contact me.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah lets not shoot for Easter Sunday :p or any Sunday as I can't do Sundays

Should we continue this here or start a new thread? I feel like a new thread would be in order. Or at least on the KCubing thread