• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

KCubing (Kansas city cubing group)

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I would argue that both come through practice. Really most things in cubing do. The first is dealt with look ahead but it becomes easier to find the pieces with practice. Another thing you may not realize is slowing you down is efficiency of how you pair them. To help with this do slow solves and watch walk through solves. I really like Feliks' walk through.

Are you color neutral? If not start become CN as soon as possible. It only gets harder to switch

I would learn how to solve pyra before the comp. It's a really fun and quick event and then you have another event at the comp! It is really easy to learn and really fun

Psyph3r

I am white only currently. Color neutrality is something I played around with at one point. My question would be what is the most that being color neutral can net you? if you are doing the cross correctly maybe a second max?

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am white only currently. Color neutrality is something I played around with at one point. My question would be what is the most that being color neutral can net you? if you are doing the cross correctly maybe a second max?
A better cross and/or being able to see pairs in inspection. The only way it can really benefit you is if you are color neutral from the very start. You are already so used to white cross so you're always biased in solving. There are exceptions however, there are people who have fully switched to CN and it has worked out for them, but it takes a huge amount of practice. If you ever see yourself wanting to be CN, start now though because it becomes way harder later. It would be like if you were right handed and tried to train yourself to be left handed. You should however at least become dual cross neutral and be able to solve white/yellow cross. It gives you a pretty good advantage, but is still pretty easy to learn. Since the F2L pairs are really similar it's takes some getting used to but is worth it.

You should try being color neutral on other puzzles though, like odd layered big cubes, since you can just see the color of the center anyway it's very easy. Also on Pyraminx and 2x2.

Also, man I bet everyone's annoyed with us as much as we've been bumping this thread and the other thread haha :p

Psyph3r

Yea haha but I figure discussion is better than dead threads. If they get upset they can let us know to take it elsewhere.

As far as color neutrality though. I struggle inspecting white cross in the time alloted for inspection much less finding the best cross and then the related cross pieces. Seems like it would take tens of thousands of solves at least.

Bldnoob

If you learn OP for BLD and use some of those algs. It helps with color neutrality. Or if you just do algs on any side of the cube a few times a day it will help. And lastly just rotate what side you do the cross on every solve. Then practice with all six sides thus giving color neutrality.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I struggle inspecting white cross in the time alloted for inspection much less finding the best cross and then the related cross pieces. Seems like it would take tens of thousands of solves at least.

I am trying to switch currently and I am fairly close (although I did have an entire trip to Utah to practice) Counter intuitively inspection is actually easier. I think I can explain it in a video better so I will make one and send it to you. But I will try to explain. At the begging of inspection I scan the cube to see what cross has the most pieces already in. this takes 1 second (unless the scramble is horrible) Then I work on that one (or I might see another one and compare them which doesn't take long) I find that my inspection time has gone down not up! Like I said I will make a video and post it to youtube

Psyph3r

I will work on color neutrality though I am starting to feel like each time I take a step forward I take two steps back. I learned full 2oll only 7 algs but I got slower then faster. Switched to intuitive f2l and got slower then made it back to my speed and now I'm gonna do this haha.

danchoi955

I guess I do agree with what you're saying about look ahead. It really only comes into play when you already can recognize and execute cases pretty fast, because it's better to do that than to try looking for the next pair at your speed.

Since I haven't met you yet either Biscuit I think we should all post on here what we'll wear a day or two before hand so it's easier to recognize each other like that. I will probably just hang out at a table with Dan and his kids and whoever else is at the table anyway, so you should be able to find me.

Dan was thinking that it would be cool to do one more meetup like a week or so before the comp just for fun so maybe we could do that too.

Ha ha, I didn't learn anything new with this old brain of mine...yet hanging out with you all makes me feel young again, so it's a state of mind. Psyph3r and I talked about being young again...maybe there's a pill for that.

We all need to continually push it, get our friends and family involved, and I don't mind picking ppl up if they need a ride; we all live pretty closed by. I'm just there to support my son, and if he's happy, I have no problem with making him do chores around the house (now if he's just big enough to mow the yard, that would be monumental).

Let's have another practice session during the week of Spring Break; March 19 thru 21, we are available. And the Lawrence comp is the 28th! I continue to remind Phi to get the word out at his school and invite more friends to the practices. Once more people know about it, it's easy to have a support group to plan for an official competition, which I like to spear head this summer. Aside from the Lawrence comp, the next closest one is in Iowa, 5hrs away!

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I continue to remind Phi to get the word out at his school and invite more friends to the practices. Once more people know about it, it's easy to have a support group to plan for an official competition, which I like to spear head this summer. Aside from the Lawrence comp, the next closest one is in Iowa, 5hrs away!

From what I hear the best way is just to take a cube to school (depending on the rules of the school) in spare time and at lunch phi (is it phil and you missed a l?) can cube and he WILL get interest from others (I am home schooled so I don't know how much free time he would have at school)

danchoi955

It's Phi, no L. He actually started everyone there on cubing at his middle school, which now has up to 20 avid cubers, but only about three that can actually do F2L. It became a problem really quickly, so now cubing is banded during class. At one point or another, both my kids, Phi and Minh, has over 20 3x3's. Now, we are down to about 10 since half of them got sold to their friends at school. The problem with a lot of kids in middle school is time...basketball and soccer seem to dominate so Saturday cubing practices are a low priority.

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've been trying to get people interested, but not as many people are into cubing as they are in middle school unfortunately. I have taught 4 people how to solve, but they don't really ever practice and I doubt half of them even still remember how.

My parents are all for me hosting a comp though. Let's talk to whoever the delegate is at Lawrence and see if they'd be willing to be the delegate for us.

Also, I believe I am free the 19th through the 22nd so is Saturday the 21st good?

Psyph3r

Cubing is something that requires dedication and practice even to get down to 1minute. A lot of people get into cubing to get that one golden solve where they complete the cube without looking at their notes and then they are happy after that.

I personally am not going to be happy until I can do a cube from the time I pick it up to solved in 20 seconds or less. I am not sure how long that will take but I am willing to put in the time.

Dan hit it on the head. We both wish there was a pill to be young again you would be surprised how much different your brain is as you get older. I bet when I was 18 I would have been down to 30 seconds by now but it just takes me longer to do almost everything. haha

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It really only takes practice When you are older it may take more but you can! That's the great thing about cubing. Almost anyone can
Yup, I really like MarcelP's introduction thread because it is full of older cubers.

Cubing is something that requires dedication and practice even to get down to 1minute. A lot of people get into cubing to get that one golden solve where they complete the cube without looking at their notes and then they are happy after that.

I personally am not going to be happy until I can do a cube from the time I pick it up to solved in 20 seconds or less. I am not sure how long that will take but I am willing to put in the time.

Dan hit it on the head. We both wish there was a pill to be young again you would be surprised how much different your brain is as you get older. I bet when I was 18 I would have been down to 30 seconds by now but it just takes me longer to do almost everything. haha
https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/...eaki-Tomoyori-3BLD-Oldest-solver-82-years-old
;):tu

Psyph3r

I didnt want to put this in the accomplishment thread but during myself and Emma's PM competition tonight I had a new personal record solve of 38.57. I had an ao5 of 56.24 but for that one glorious solve F2L kind of fell together for me. It was great!

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
yep you may plateau for a few days at 50 (although that's not much of a plateau) I really didn't get stuck till around 40. Even then it only took 2 weeks or so till I hit my biggest plateau yet which was 35ish. I just recently overcame 35 and dropped 10 seconds literally overnight. Something just clicked!

Psyph3r

yep you may plateau for a few days at 50 (although that's not much of a plateau) I really didn't get stuck till around 40. Even then it only took 2 weeks or so till I hit my biggest plateau yet which was 35ish. I just recently overcame 35 and dropped 10 seconds literally overnight. Something just clicked!

I think in order for me to keep going after 50 I will need to spend a lot of time studying F2L solves and learning full PLL. But I am happy to wait until I get there to start doing that.