• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Got Some Questions

SoySauS

Hey there. I'm not entirely new to cubing, but I'm new enough. I'm getting really into it, though. And I have some questions.

1. How can I find some 3x3 F2L tricks? Like Keyhole, etc? I know some but definitely not all.
2. Where can I find a comprehensive list of the alternate LL algorithms for Fridrich? I have a list but I know there are different ones and I want to pick and choose the best for me, so I was wondering where a (relatively) complete list would be.
3. What does Gen1, Gen2, etc mean? Is it like, sets of algorithms based on when they were created?
4. For 2x2, I should learn Ortega then Guimond, right?
5. For 2x2 and 3x3 blindsolving (I'm not there yet, but the plan is to start after I finish learning Fridrich and after I finish learning 2x2), what methods should I start with, then move on to?
6. Is there a list of the different possible events/types of cubing? Like One-handed, Blindfolded, 2x2, 4x4, Pyraminx, etc?
7. Should I get lube at this point, or is it not really necessary until later? What kind of lubricant is best, and for what effects?
8. I know that people use sledgehammer to affect the top layer. How does it affect it? What does it change compared to normal insertion?

Those are my only questions for now. If I think of more I'll ask. Thanks a lot for any help!

inb4 learn how to google

EDIT: Also, I've heard the Zhanchi 2x2 pops really easily. Is this true? It's also pretty expensive compared to the other cubes on Amazon. . .should I just get a Shengshou? Or a QiYi?

Last edited:

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) Here. Look for the algs that are most comfortable, shortest, or 2-gen. (to find out what this means, see question 3).
2)algdb.net
3) It means the total number of faces involved in executing a specific algorithm. So for example, the main T-perm is 3-gen, using only R, U, and F turns. Lower gen but same movecount generally equals a better alg.
4) Don't do 2x2
5) Don't do blind
6) Here is a list of all the events with their record times.
7) Since you haven't mentioned your times for 3x3, or what cube you're using, its hard to tell how beneficial lube would be. But lube can't hurt, and a blend of 50k and 30k differential oil seems to be the best lube you can get. The 50k can be ordered here, and the 30k can be found similarly. Also, thecubicle.us sells pretty good lube.
8) This is last layer edges with normal insertion. This is last layer edges with sledgehammer insertion. See how in the first, no edges are oriented, but in the last, two edges are oriented? Watch for yourself and see which ones are flipped and which stay the same.

SoySauS

Thanks.

I'm probably going to get an Aolong. I don't have a real 3x3 yet. I'm using a really old Rubik's brand. It's pretty crappy tbh. But I average about 1:15 (I don't know full CFOP yet though).

lull 2x2 looks fun though and blindfold gets you free drinks.

tomatotrucks

WCA
2014SPEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1 - Feliks Zemdegs Example Solves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIQOunZflbg "12 Cubers, One Scramble" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFFfjzD-MLI 13 Cubers, One Scramble: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pwx9Hi9HAk Bob Burton's F2L page: http://www.cubewhiz.com/f2l.php Badmephisto's F2L page: http://www.badmephisto.com/f2l.php . Boom.

2 - http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PLL -- That's the speedsolving wiki, it compiles a lot of algs for CFOP LL and more alg subsets. There's also the Boca database http://www.boca.bee.pl/

3 - 2 Gen means using only two layers. If an algorithm is 2 gen, it uses only 2 layers, most commonly <R, U> . In the ZZ method, they first orient all the edges and make F2L able to be solved using R, U and L, hence being 3 gen.

4 - Depends. I'm going straight from Ortega to CLL and never learnt Guimond. If you have no intention of learning CLL in the near future, you should learn Guimond, but if you plan to I'd avoid it.

5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRaf-dvamTE -- That's Noah Arthurs' tutorial, which is one of, if not, the best.

6 - https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/regions.php -- That's a list of world records for all official events.

7 - I'd get proper lube asap. http://thecubicle.us/lube-c-35.html -- That's the Cubicle, it offers a wide variety of lubes, including 3 kinds of "Lubicle". "Gummy" makes your cube slower, "Speedy" makes your cube faster, and "normal" changes the feel and speed a bit.

8 - The sledgehammer orients edges. Do F R' F' R -- If you insert it like normal, you don't get anything too special, but using the sledgehammer it will orient the edges. You would use it in a case like that, to orient edges. I use it when the two edges in <BU, LU> are oriented to orient the other two, or when none are oriented to give me an easier OLL case.

E: Ninja'd by obelisk477

SoySauS

Aolong might be too fast for you. Maybe look into the Shengshou Aurora or YJ Sulong for now.

I'll look into those. Might go bawlz deep and learn Aolong anyway. I dunno we'll see what happens.

Also, I've heard the Zhanchi 2x2 pops really easily. Is this true? It's also pretty expensive compared to the other cubes on Amazon. . .should I just get a Shengshou? Or a QiYi?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey there. I'm not entirely new to cubing, but I'm new enough. I'm getting really into it, though. And I have some questions.

1. How can I find some 3x3 F2L tricks? Like Keyhole, etc? I know some but definitely not all.
2. Where can I find a comprehensive list of the alternate LL algorithms for Fridrich? I have a list but I know there are different ones and I want to pick and choose the best for me, so I was wondering where a (relatively) complete list would be.
3. What does Gen1, Gen2, etc mean? Is it like, sets of algorithms based on when they were created?
4. For 2x2, I should learn Ortega then Guimond, right?
5. For 2x2 and 3x3 blindsolving (I'm not there yet, but the plan is to start after I finish learning Fridrich and after I finish learning 2x2), what methods should I start with, then move on to?
6. Is there a list of the different possible events/types of cubing? Like One-handed, Blindfolded, 2x2, 4x4, Pyraminx, etc?
7. Should I get lube at this point, or is it not really necessary until later? What kind of lubricant is best, and for what effects?
8. I know that people use sledgehammer to affect the top layer. How does it affect it? What does it change compared to normal insertion?

Those are my only questions for now. If I think of more I'll ask. Thanks a lot for any help!

inb4 learn how to google

EDIT: Also, I've heard the Zhanchi 2x2 pops really easily. Is this true? It's also pretty expensive compared to the other cubes on Amazon. . .should I just get a Shengshou? Or a QiYi?
1. On Youtube there are lots of great vids on it, try searching F2L tricks. I have one on my YouTube channel.
2. The speedsolving wiki has lots of algs, as well as alg.db
3. It means the amount of different moves involved in an algorithm. An alg that only uses R and U moves, and that's it, is considered to be 2-gen. An alg that uses R, U, F, and B is considered to be 4-gen. Generally speaking, 2 gen algs are considered to be the fastest.
4. Yep. Although Guimond is a relatively outdated term, EG is a better one. For more info, go to cyotheking's youtube channel, he has a video called what is EG.
5. The Old Pochmann and M2 method is widely considered the best. You use two different methods for BLD, one to solve the corners, and one to solve the edges. Noah (on cubingworld) has a great tutorial on blindsolving, I learned from him. 2x2 BLD is basically 3BLD, except only corners.
6. You can really just do whatever you want, but ones that are done in competitions are on the WCA website. You could go to the records page and scroll through the records for each event if you like. As a general rule as far as unofficial events go that people actually do, there is no cube bigger than a 11x11, one handed isn't really done on anything besides 3x3, BLD has been done on every cube up to 9x9, solving with feet is pretty much only done on 3x3.
7. Nah, not really. I bought my first thing of lube (that I actually use) a few weeks ago, and I average about 18-19 seconds.
8. When you insert with a sledgehammer, it "orients" some of the edges on the LL. This means that you could potentially not have to do an alg for the top cross, or you won't get the case where there are no edges oriented.

And for 2x2s, a Moyu lingpo is a nice choice. I've had mine for a long time. Btw, I have never had a pop on it, ever.

also, don't listen to people that say that "x cube might be too fast for you." It seems like this is a common misconception. The reality is, an Aolong really won't be all that much faster than a "beginner cube" like the Shengshou Aurora or YJ yulong, at least in comparison to a Rubiks brand. Becuase coming from a rubiks brand, any cube will be too fast at first, but you will get used to it quickly.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since you mentioned it...

How am I meant to tell the orientation of the 2x2? Currently I can only do it by checking the center piece color, since I have a stickerless.
Method 1- Choose any corner, rotate until it's solved in your normal colour scheme, and think of that corner as a fixed corner (like DBL is fixed when scrambling).
Method 2- Learn your colour scheme better :p

A combination of both is probably best; you force at least one solved piece and obviously learning your colour scheme is very helpful in BLD. It's easier to practise 3x3 corners BLD than to practise 2BLD, because you can see your colour scheme more easily, so maybe try that instead of 2BLD for now?

Randomno

Banned
WCA
2014STAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Method 1- Choose any corner, rotate until it's solved in your normal colour scheme, and think of that corner as a fixed corner (like DBL is fixed when scrambling).
Method 2- Learn your colour scheme better :p

A combination of both is probably best; you force at least one solved piece and obviously learning your colour scheme is very helpful in BLD. It's easier to practise 3x3 corners BLD than to practise 2BLD, because you can see your colour scheme more easily, so maybe try that instead of 2BLD for now?

How do I learn the 2x2 color scheme? What am I looking for? I have been practicing OP corners on the 3x3.

SoySauS

How do I learn the 2x2 color scheme? What am I looking for? I have been practicing OP corners on the 3x3.

so i do Yellow on top, Blue on front

so i would take the yellow/blue/red corner and put it UFR, with the yellow sticker facing up.

boom done.

color scheme for pretty much all cubes is

U-Yellow
D-White
F-Blue
B-Green
R-Red
L-Orange

obviously if you're starting with a different color on U or a different color on F, it would be rotated

gj matt

WCA
2015HARN01
1. I recommend watching walkthrough solves, or just any tutorial on YT
2. Speedsolving wiki. You can pick and choose from all of the known algs (i believe) from there
3. 2- gen means that it only uses two layers, such as R and U or M and U (most common). I haven't heard of 1-gen.
4. I'd say you don't have to learn either. If you want to learn CLL, you may want to stick with LBL (i did) so you can improve layer building.
5. I suck at BLD, i have no idea
6. Yes... kind of. It's tricky to find. Most cubes that aren't shape mods, cuboids or puzzles with some outrageous parity are events.
7. It's up to you. It depends on the cube you have, and what feel you want.
8. Sledgehammer vs regular insertion just depends on how you did F2L and if you care about edge orientation if you want it to have a specific effect. 2-gen pair insertions will keep the LL edges oriented, so you can base it off of that.

so i do Yellow on top, Blue on front

so i would take the yellow/blue/red corner and put it UFR, with the yellow sticker facing up.

boom done.

color scheme for pretty much all cubes is

U-Yellow
D-White
F-Blue
B-Green
R-Red
L-Orange

obviously if you're starting with a different color on U or a different color on F, it would be rotated

am i the only one around here who uses UFR as a buffer???

Last edited by a moderator:

SoySauS

it depends on which buffer alg you use. I use regular Y perm, most people use Y perm minus the first F'

what does that change and how does it not mess up the whole cube?

are we still talking about 3BLD or 2BLD?

Should I learn 2x2 Blindfolded or 3x3 Blindfolded first?

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Since you mentioned it...

How am I meant to tell the orientation of the 2x2? Currently I can only do it by checking the center piece color, since I have a stickerless.
Basically you choose any orientation in which more corners will be solved. Take the scramble R2 U F U F2 R' U' R2 for example. (Scramble in your orientation) As always, the BDL corner is solved, but you will have a random orientation normally, so do a y x and notice that the UBR and UFL corners are solved, so now you only need to memo a couple of targets.

it depends on which buffer alg you use. I use regular Y perm, most people use Y perm minus the first F'
UBL is still your buffer. The other spot is called the target, or the helper, and really the only difference between what you do and what others do is just inefficiency, where it's much easier to not have to undo the F/F'

Last edited: