• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

FMC: a Complete Tutorial

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Update:

- Some "bugfixing" (including the missing ' in that 2c2e alg) (thanks to obelisk477).
- Specified that the inverse of a 2c2e alg solves the same case (thank to cuBerBruce).
- Expanded the "Get Lucky" section with two examples: "Insert Last Pair" and "How to Use Algorithms" (thanks to Bruce and Cubenovice).
- Added a reference to multislotting, with D R U R' D' as an example; together with the example solve I used to explain premoves, it should cover the "skewed pairs" topic (thanks to cuBerBruce).
- Added a section under "Advanced Tools": "Pair Analysis". Go find out what it is :)

About the slot-swapping PLLs:
I have thought about it, but I have decided not to include it in the list, for some reasons:
- The technique is almost only usable with CFOP, which I don't advise using for FMC. Even with FreeFOP it is hard to apply.
- It requires learning 21 new algorithms. I don't even suggest learning full PLL for FMC purposes.
- It forces you going for OLL/PLL: even with a CFOP solve you ay want to end differently (i.e.: with commutators).
- If you don't know in advance what PLL you are going to get, it saves less than 0.15 moves.

Interesting thing, but not really useful for FMC.
I may change my mind if some expert FMCer convinces me, but for now I am not including it in the tutorial.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Thanks for the update.
Nice to see that Guus' bad pair counting is now included too.

Just two small things:
you have a nice index with page numbers. But the pages themselves do not have page numbers :)
If I follow the link to the pdf document I get a "white screen" because the title text is quite low on the page. It only shows after I start scrolling down.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the update.
Nice to see that Guus' bad pair counting is now included too.

Just two small things:
you have a nice index with page numbers. But the pages themselves do not have page numbers :)
If I follow the link to the pdf document I get a "white screen" because the title text is quite low on the page. It only shows after I start scrolling down.
After posting a solve by Guus on fmcsolves I thought I should include it... not that I've tried it often or know much about it (I have hidden my ignorance by saying it is an obscure technique) :(

If you click on the page number in the table of contents it gets you there :) Maybe I'll try to add page numbers, but I think almost every pdf reader does it.
I thought putting the title in the middle of the page was less awkward than leaving it to the top with the rest of the page white, or even worse starting with the table of contents right under the title.

bubbagrub

WCA
2013COPP01
This is totally amazing! Thank you! It's the first time I've seen any kind of explanation of NISS that made sense... :)

JemFish

Wow, this is really well done. I might actually start doing FMC now. I've been motivated to learn FMC because of the neat layout of this PDF.

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Small error found by Aaron LoPrete earlier:

In the inverse scramble section with the Tim Reynolds example, the final solution should be:

D' F D F' R2 F R2 F' R2 B' D' B' U2 B D' B' U2 B2 D F2 L2 F U' R

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
2020-01-14 Version 3.0 is out!

List of changes:

Since the last version of this tutorial I have fixed like a million typos and probably introduced a lot of new ones. I have also decided to replace .png images with .svg ones, which look much better.
I have removed the appendix with last layer algorithms and just linked a raw text file instead. I have moved the general section on EO to Chapter 2 and merged the remainder of Chapter 4 with Chapter 3.
Other than that, I have added a few sections:
  • Sections 2.4.6 and 3.8 on edge insertions.
  • Section 2.5.3 about partial domino reduction.
  • Section 3.4 about using NISS to find nice EOs.
  • Section 3.7.1 “Skew centers and NISS”.
  • Section 3.10, “Replace and shorten”.
  • Appendix C, “Some exercises by Reto Bubendorf”.
  • Appendix D, a short introduction to domino reduction.
All the rest is just minor changes.

The link to the new version is always the same. The old version (2.0) is avalable here.

Last edited: