• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ouch! That happend to Zane in competition when he tried 25, 26 or something like that. Never happend to me i think but i am not sure. Do you change the order of your routes or anything like that? Or how can this happen? I can imagine what it felt like -.-

Greetings, Dennis

I'm not certain, but I think what happened was that when I went to put down the last cube in the first row and pick up the first cube in the second row, the first row had become misaligned with the second row, leading me to think that I had already moved onto the second row but accidentally picked up the first cube in the first row instead of the first cube in the second row, so I tried to fix that. It would make sense, I would think I was one cube ahead of where I actually was. It can't have been my route, I placed all my memo linearly along one route that I've used lots of times before, including for my official 7/7.

Solution: don't leave all the rows separate, have 2 rows next to each other as a reference like Maskow seems to do, that should really have been a clue for how to do MBLD properly :p

I'm making some progress with smaller MBLD attempts to train, but I'm trying to get good n/n successes for small numbers and keep getting (n-1)/n. I've had two decent sub-10 3/4 attempts with a single mistake, and a close 12:xy 4/5. (I've finally managed to get decent times for 2/2 and 3/3, but it took way more attempts than it should have).

I'm not certain, but I think what happened was that when I went to put down the last cube in the first row and pick up the first cube in the second row, the first row had become misaligned with the second row, leading me to think that I had already moved onto the second row but accidentally picked up the first cube in the first row instead of the first cube in the second row, so I tried to fix that. It would make sense, I would think I was one cube ahead of where I actually was. It can't have been my route, I placed all my memo linearly along one route that I've used lots of times before, including for my official 7/7.

Solution: don't leave all the rows separate, have 2 rows next to each other as a reference like Maskow seems to do, that should really have been a clue for how to do MBLD properly :p

I'm making some progress with smaller MBLD attempts to train, but I'm trying to get good n/n successes for small numbers and keep getting (n-1)/n. I've had two decent sub-10 3/4 attempts with a single mistake, and a close 12:xy 4/5. (I've finally managed to get decent times for 2/2 and 3/3, but it took way more attempts than it should have).

Ok. Got it. Well, i always have rows of 5 cubes. And they almost "touch" each other. Always worked fine.
Your times are quite fast then, good luck with it ;)
MULTI BLD for the win! :D

Greetings, Dennis

etshy

YouTube
Visit Channel
At first, I did a weird 3 cycle thing that still solved one piece at a time. Then I tried commutators, but I didn't quite understand some cases, so quit. Finally, yesterday, I decided to tryout U2.

in the first few attempts , I won't really call it a failure unless you're off by some centers , anything else is fairly easy to fix in the next attempts , so good for you :)

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
6BLD DNF(22:56.71[12:02]) by three obliques, oh deary me.

Memo of obliques is getting much faster and easier, still with some problems. It really helps knowing speed-optimal 3-cycles for nearly everything since I can't turn terribly fast yet either :/

My camera only goes up to 18m50s, seems like a good target to aim for!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
9x9x9 blindfolded DNF(2:07:34.24)[1:01:49.10]
I lost count of attempts. IDK if I will keep on trying actually, cuz I'm really tired of it...

Wow, your time has come way down! You're getting really good at it!

I know how you feel - after about the seventh or eighth attempt at 8x8x8, I was pretty much hating it. But I'm glad I stuck with it until I got it, and I hope you do too! Even though I know what you're doing is a lot harder than what I did.

I bet you're pretty fast at 5x5x5 BLD by now. :) Doesn't it seem just ridiculously easy now?

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
First ever MultiBLD attempt: 0/2 8:20.93

First cube: I forgot to undo a setup move, and messed up corners
Second cube: Two twisted corners, twisted the wrong way. (Memoed RD, Executed ED)

Going to try again tomorrow, this is fun :D

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2 fails:
1st: 3bld success on first attempt. But utterly failed and missed PB by 5 seconds. Forgot the fourth corner. After doing what should have been the last, I remembered it so had to undo 2 corners and did like 4 extra y perms. Was 4:28.xx with like 1:45 memo. Really fast memo. Should have been sub-4 or just over.

2nd fail: 1st multibld attempt. 0/2(10:04.xx). First off by 5 edges and 4 corners. Second off by four edges. Second was on my Zhanchi. Felt faster cause I did rubiks brand first.

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, your time has come way down! You're getting really good at it!

I know how you feel - after about the seventh or eighth attempt at 8x8x8, I was pretty much hating it. But I'm glad I stuck with it until I got it, and I hope you do too! Even though I know what you're doing is a lot harder than what I did.
Hey Mike, thank you for your support ;)
Time doesn't matter actually, I will got UWR anyway, with any time, if I will solve 9BLD. I hope it would happen someday.
I count my attempts and found this was 10th, counting four stupid tryings on 9x9YJ this autumn :eek: After my first fail with ShengShou, I started to keep times in one of qqTimer session:
DNF(3:15:26.07)[1:44:51.00], DNF(2:51:08.60)[1:32:02.21], DNF(2:43:54.45)[1:28:41.20], DNF(2:27:47.11)[1:25:37.55], DNF(2:07:34.24)[1:01:49.10]
It's funny to notice how much time I save every try =)
I bet you're pretty fast at 5x5x5 BLD by now.
Mmm.. My PB is 8:47.95 [3:57.83], now it's time to learn speed-optimized algs =)
Doesn't it seem just ridiculously easy now?
Haha, definitely =))
But it is two different things - solving 5x5, I'm trying to approach max speed, but 9bld attempts are for stability.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
10 tries is not bad, and you've gotten really close a few times. It's pretty ridiculous the accuracy you need to be successful at a cube that big, so it's reasonable to take so many tries.

For me, the nicest part about getting noticeably faster with each attempt was that it meant the additional attempts were so much easier than the first one. If it hadn't gotten faster, I don't know if I would have been willing to continue trying, but since it did, it seemed like it was worth the effort.

Mmm.. My PB is 8:47.95 [3:57.83], now it's time to learn speed-optimized algs =)

Wow! I could tell by your 9x9x9 times that you must be pretty fast at 5x5x5, but I wasn't expecting sub-9. Very nice - much faster than me.