• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

JemFish

I just had my first 4BLD attempt, and it was a DNF with a time of 33:58.73 minutes. Memo went extraordinarily well, with no mistakes; there was no parity in either corners, edges, or centres, which was nice, although I specially spent the whole morning memorising all the parity algs just in case. I also got it on video. Next attempt tomorrow!

EDIT:

I'm back a few hours later with a streak of 15 DNFs in 3BLD! So frustrating...well, I only had 2 solves over 2:30 minutes, and 2 sub-2 solves, both of which were very close to a success.

Last edited:

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just had my first 4BLD attempt, and it was a DNF with a time of 33:58.73 minutes. Memo went extraordinarily well, with no mistakes; there was no parity in either corners, edges, or centres, which was nice, although I specially spent the whole morning memorising all the parity algs just in case. I also got it on video. Next attempt tomorrow!

EDIT:

I'm back a few hours later with a streak of 15 DNFs in 3BLD! So frustrating...well, I only had 2 solves over 2:30 minutes, and 2 sub-2 solves, both of which were very close to a success.

Now that you're getting into multiBLD and bigBLD, I strongly recommend that you start doing post-mortems on your DNF solves to try to figure out what you did wrong. If you are doing something wrong, and keep getting DNFs, then more practice is only reinforcing the bad habit right now.

I use a technique that I derived to post-mortem a 3x3 DNF as well as big cube DNF.

Another suggestion would be to, immediately after a DNF, write down your memo for the cube. Re-scramble the cube again using the same scrambling algorithm. Solve the scramble again, this time sighted, using the memo that you wrote down. See if that helps you spot any errors that may have happened during the solve.

It's exciting to watch your progress! Remember, though, that as you get further into BLD that more practice is not always good practice. More good practice is always a good thing :) Good practice means to try to figure out what went wrong during a DNF rather than just attempting another solve after a DNF.

Good luck with your practice, and keep up your hard work!

tseitsei

WCA
2012LEHT01
Now that you're getting into multiBLD and bigBLD, I strongly recommend that you start doing post-mortems on your DNF solves to try to figure out what you did wrong. If you are doing something wrong, and keep getting DNFs, then more practice is only reinforcing the bad habit right now.

I use a technique that I derived to post-mortem a 3x3 DNF as well as big cube DNF.

Another suggestion would be to, immediately after a DNF, write down your memo for the cube. Re-scramble the cube again using the same scrambling algorithm. Solve the scramble again, this time sighted, using the memo that you wrote down. See if that helps you spot any errors that may have happened during the solve.

It's exciting to watch your progress! Remember, though, that as you get further into BLD that more practice is not always good practice. More good practice is always a good thing :) Good practice means to try to figure out what went wrong during a DNF rather than just attempting another solve after a DNF.

Yeah, definitely good advice here :)

At my speed (or at least for me) I can't really do post-mortems any more except for multiBLD (and maybe 5BLD) attempts. Since after 3BLD solve I have forgotten my corner memo completely already. And after 4BLD I have already forgotten my corner memo entirely and most often also my wing memo so I only remember centers that I execute last (Same in 5BLD. I can remember midges and centers but almost always forget wings and corners)... :D

That is because I just memo corners using quick audio loop and wings I just make some quick sentences without any visualizing them because that's faster. But centers I need to "properly" memo with images.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm getting better at 2BLD as OP corners practice and decided to film solves to see where the errors are coming from. This has resulted in abysmal failures on every single attempt. Maybe the camera is affecting my concentration. Or maybe it's the beer.

Hssandwich

WCA
2013SAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

EDIT:

How close were you?

JemFish

I came back to this thread to announce that I had a streak of 25 DNFs in 3BLD, but I'm very glad that I read this post (and the ones below)! I will definitely check out the post-mortem technique which I will use to find mistakes. Thanks so much, I almost fell deeper into the DNF pit.

Again, thanks for the advice! I'm progressing a lot faster than I thought I would be, ut I guess progress is seen more in the early stages.

Yeah, definitely good advice here :)

Yep.

How close were you?

I honestly have completely forgotten; I just continued the solve after I removed my blindfold.

15 straight DNFs and you're almost certainly doing something wrong.. Chris gave good advice!

Absolutely!

S

Scruggsy13

This is great advice, I'll definitely have to start doing this. I did 12 attempts combined between yesterday and today, with 50% accuracy.

1. 3:04.98+[1:39.81]
2. 2:57.32[1:42.84]
3. DNF(2:24.19)[1:12.75]
4. DNF(3:40.74)[1:50.95]
5. DNF(3:41.10)[2:15.97]
6. 3:22.64[1:56.78]
7. 5:06.30[3:19.75]
8. DNF(2:11.71)[54.75]
9. DNF(2:58.01)[1:53.56]
10. 3:09.65[1:52.84]
11. DNF(9:36.45)[7:00.10]
12. 2:48.65[1:21.02]​

3 were off by two flipped edges, 1 was off by two twisted corners, 1 I forgot edge memo, and the last one I don't even know what happened.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
My first attempt at 3BLD after becoming very comfortable with 2BLD. Memo felt good. Set ups were coming quite naturally and then halfway through a T perm I lost track of the alg and had to stop. What a crappy thing to fail on.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's an alg I know very well but maybe I got distracted thinking about what came next.

I did similar on the next attempt where at the end of the first J perm I added a sexy move for some reason. I was able to backtrack fortunately but then forgot the memo.

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
7BLD DNF - 37:09.64 [19:00]
did one move wrong somewhere, just like a lot of my attempts so far
I think I can consistently memorize correctly but execution errors are keeping me from a success
memo was really bad but execution is sub-20 so I guess I can start filming my attempts now

5x5 MBLD - 1/2 in 20:34.00 [9:50]
second attempt
off by 4 centers

12/18 MBLD in 44:32.09 [28:55], first attempt at 18 cubes
time was amazing, accuracy was horrible
cubes were off by 4c4e//2c2e//3e//3c//lots of stuff//all but a pseudo xxxcross

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
7BLD DNF - 37:09.64 [19:00]
did one move wrong somewhere, just like a lot of my attempts so far
I think I can consistently memorize correctly but execution errors are keeping me from a success
memo was really bad but execution is sub-20 so I guess I can start filming my attempts now

Do a couple solves with your eyes open so you can do it automatically with your eyes being closed. Do you use commutators for obliques?
About 5MBLD: I also had a lot of fun with it long ago :)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Latest 3BLD attempt. 1425209691880-1972445559.jpg
Not sure what went wrong. Maybe a set up error? It felt good and I thought I'd nailed it.

Edit: An F2 and an E slice has left one twisted corner.

Last edited:

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep on pushing, you're gonna get a succes! (I feel it in my bones.)

You're right. Sort of. My next attempt was my worst yet. Messed up memo and execution very badly so I tried the same scramble again and I got it. I'm not going to count it as it was a retry but I know I can do it.

The vote of confidence is appreciated.