• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I needed some place to post the results of my 7x7x7 BLD attempts. And I just finished my first one:

DNF (2:06:25.20, 1:02:45 memorization)

If you do an R, it is off by 33 pieces. Which sounds terrible, but if you look at the cube, it looks practically solved. The pieces are mostly in strips. It looks like I missed an R as an undo of a setup move. 9 wings wrong, 6 central edges wrong, 6 oblique centers wrong, and 12 other centers wrong.

My memory was totally secure and never a problem at all. The obliques were definitely harder than the rest, but it felt like I got more comfortable with them as I went.

This is definitely harder due to the different color scheme; I wish I could replace the stickers with my standard color scheme.

I want my first successful solve to be a BLD solve. So I'm thinking I'll just apply a new 100-move scramble to the current unsolved cube. Sound like a good way to go? The only negative is that I won't know exactly what scramble I solved.

This was definitely a lot of fun to do - I can't wait for my next try! Tomorrow!

5x5 20:xx fail
6 cubes fail (three times)
5 cubes fail (two times)

Haven't succeeded on more than 4 yet. :(

This is definitely harder due to the different color scheme; I wish I could replace the stickers with my standard color scheme.

What color scheme do you use?

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I tried to convince Michael to call his the "BLD Experiences Thread," to no avail.

I'll mention that I had 6 attempts to beat the puny ER of 1:17, and failed all of them. (Winning a competition with the only success of the six was worth nothing to me, as I'm ranked fourth in the the nation with that time...)
And I only seem to get worse at BLD. All my recent 4x4x4 BLD solves are worse failures than my first attempt ever.

Also, trying out new memory methods didn't help - my brain won't memo nearly fast enough.

However, I'm trying rushed-memo solves, and it might be working.

Mike: How about almost-solving? But you'd have to be very careful... How about solving "into" a scramble using your BLD method (exec turning practice)?
Also, are you using r2 for obliques?

(And why is everyone calling them obliques? I'm flattered that my term has taken off so far, but qqwref's "chiral" is pretty good, and some other terms like "skew" also work pretty well...)
(But if we do go with +o and -0, maye I suggest "PLO" and "MO" for pronunciation? :p)

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice try Mike. If you don't succeed today you can even try it semi-official for the weekly competition!

What about this for solving:
Generate a scramble and notice the first move.
Now just solve the 7x7x7 almost entirely except for the very last 3x3x3 part so the last move would cancel with the first move of the scramble. Now start the scramble from the 2nd move

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
7:38:50.52 sleep delayed 3x3 DNF.
Off by U2 M U2 M'. It still doesn't beat Mondo's 11 hours! I don't have the longest BLD yet!

edit:
And I was asleep for msot of this!

Last edited:

Kyle™

Premium Member
WCA
2004ALLA01
I forget the name of it ( when you plan setup moves before you start your BLD solve?), I planned to do about 6 moves before I started, and only had do swap 3 edges and 3 corners. It was about a 40-45 second solve but i forgot to fix the parity.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
7:38:50.52 sleep delayed 3x3 DNF.
Off by U2 M U2 M'. It still doesn't beat Mondo's 11 hours! I don't have the longest BLD yet!

edit:
And I was asleep for msot of this!

If 11 hours is the record for a DNF I have got it beat. A year ago I memoed a cube and got a call just before I started solving. A week later I found the cube and tried to solve it. Memo was still there, but I started solving with the incorrect orientation of the cube (white on top, green on front like you scramble). I checked later and it would have been good otherwise!

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not going for the longest DNF, you can hold that UWR! I'm was just using Mondo's 11 hours as a base. But now your're bringing 7 days into it! Maybe I'll try a 24 hour attempt soon. Might have to use letters or something.

KConny

WCA
2007LUND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now I've done 4 DNF's at 4x4 BLD. The first one was the closest. Off by a B inner slice move and 7 edges, but that makes sense. The other ones I've failed on U2 centers, alway forgetting to undo my U/U'/U2 setupmoves when I'm done with centers.

First solve was about 45 min, the one yesterday was 20 min. :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I tried to convince Michael to call his the "BLD Experiences Thread," to no avail.
I realized this was "politically incorrect" when I started it, but somehow it just still seemed like the best name. Sorry if I've offended anyone. :)

All my recent 4x4x4 BLD solves are worse failures than my first attempt ever.
That's okay - it just means you're learning. You'll soon suddenly have some spectacular success and make a big jump, I'm sure. If you don't give up. Please don't give up.

Mike: How about almost-solving? But you'd have to be very careful... How about solving "into" a scramble using your BLD method (exec turning practice)?
Actually, I realized that this morning. This morning I solved all of it except a single 3-cycle of outer wings. Now I'm going to apply the first few moves of my next scramble, then use a commutator to solve the 3 wings (it's still easy to see where they need to go), then apply the rest of the scramble. It's a great idea, and should work perfectly. Problem solved.

And Arnaud, I also thought of your idea, and I like it, but I feel like a single turn from solved should count as solved, since it would just be a +2 in competition. So I'd feel like I had to do 2 turns from solved, which would maybe be fun, but would be a lot of work. I think I'm going with the solving into a scramble idea instead.

Also, are you using r2 for obliques?
No. Maybe I should, but I like commutators for centers because since there are 4 interchangeable center pieces, you can often get 3 cycles that solve all 3 pieces at once. I think Chris doesn't take advantage of this, but I do in a big way, and I think it's really helpful. (I'm always excited when I'm memorizing and start getting a lot of 3-cycles on centers.) So I just use commutators for the obliques, just like the other centers.

(And why is everyone calling them obliques? I'm flattered that my term has taken off so far, but qqwref's "chiral" is pretty good, and some other terms like "skew" also work pretty well...)
(But if we do go with +o and -0, maye I suggest "PLO" and "MO" for pronunciation? :p)
I like the fact that it sounds good as a single word. Somehow, "chirals" doesn't feel as right, and neither does "skews" - you feel like you have to say "chiral centers" and "skew centers". I think "obliques" works alone because we've gotten used to hearing it when referencing abdominal exercises. :) Anyway, "obliques" rolls off the tongue nicely; I like it!

joey

WCA
2007GOUL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm just really annoyed. I though ok, I'll actually give 4x4 BLD a go. I havnt' really though of the specifics yet, but I might aswell try it.

I memoed centres and corners in like 5mins? or so.
Then I started memo edges, and after 5 mins, it turned out my third edge I had been memoing with was the wrong edge.
So I changed this and carried on memoing, then realised my second edge was wrong too. So I had to start from the beggining basically.

I put my BLD on, and messed up the first corner cycle. I'm fooked off right now. If I hadn't made all those edge memo mistakes it would have been like 10mins memo, and if I hadn't screwed up the corners, it probably would have been a success.
I just can't work out which edge is which.

MistArts

Four month 3x3 BLD DNF streak

And then a 6:30 solve

And then a week of DNF's

Another solve...

Now I'm DNFing again.

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
i tried a few bld solves in a row the other day. on my 4th or 5th solve i, for no apparent reason, recalled my journey from my 2nd solve and did that for the edges and then realized what i had done. gotta say, my bld failures are a heck of a lot more interesting than the successes...haha

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Now I'm going to apply the first few moves of my next scramble, then use a commutator to solve the 3 wings (it's still easy to see where they need to go), then apply the rest of the scramble.
An alternative:
1. Superflip of middle edges.
2. Repair those three wings.
3. Scramble.
4. Superflip of middle edges.

And I was hoping you US guys would get your V-cubes with a huge delay so I'd get the headstart I need to get in shape. Sigh.

Last edited: