• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Blindfold Failures Thread

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have very limited practice time but I've promised myself I won't sleep until I've had a 3BLD success each day. Well it's 1.20am and I'm getting up at 6am and I can't seem to get my edges right. I'm giving up. 2 successes planned for tomorrow.

josh42732

I have very limited practice time but I've promised myself I won't sleep until I've had a 3BLD success each day. Well it's 1.20am and I'm getting up at 6am and I can't seem to get my edges right. I'm giving up. 2 successes planned for tomorrow.
That sucks. Id try a slow solve, not timed. As if you were doing a day belayed solve

qaz

WCA
2013BROW04
14:44 5BLD DNF by 3 edges

good. the last attempt i did, around a month ago, was sup-20 so i expected a lot of work to get decent again, but i guess not.

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
One more 6BLD attempt. Forgot memo during execution, then I was sitting and trying to remember it for 3m 55s, as I calculated from the video. Total time was 13:44.86[4:37.24], so without a pause might have been sub-10. But it was a DNF anyway by 2 pairs of centers anyway.

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
DNF(50.16) F' L2 B2 U R2 D' B2 R2 U2 R2 U L2 B F' R' B' D L R F' L

2 flipped edges (stackmat) :( 21ish memo

e: forgot about this awesome 4bld attempt, 3:01 memo:

DNF(5:29.81) Uw R2 D L U D R2 Fw2 L' Fw' D R Fw2 U' B2 L2 U Fw' D Uw' F2 L Uw R2 Rw' F' B2 L2 Uw' B' R' D' Rw2 D Rw2 U' R2 D B' Fw

Last edited:

willtri4

WCA
2015BELO03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practicing 3bld edges when I get a PB single in the low 1:30s (i average 2ish for edge training), missed the spacebar, took of the blindfold, missed the spacebar again, then finally stopped the timer at 1:41.29.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure how I failed to notice I was holding the cube the wrong way around.

Edit: Photo failed to load. Cube was solved other than opposite centre swaps on the E layer. I have failed to get a 3BLD solve today.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
At my comp last weekend, I finally got a chance to compete in 7x7. It's the first time I've competed in something larger than 5x5, and the first time I've competed in an event where I had a shot to be in/near the top 100 in the world. My first two solves went well, and the centers of my third solve were fine also. But during edges of the last solve, the nerves, combined with the fact that I was using a black cube and I'm used to white ones, got to me. All of a sudden, I couldn't see anything, and was pausing for 5 seconds at a time and basically solving like someone who averages 5:30. Nerves have never done that to my cubing before. I was on pace for a low 3:50s average after the first two, but got a 4:22 on the last one all because of that breakdown during edges, and flopped and choked my way to a sup 4 average. I still won the event easily and am in the top 150 in the world for single and average, but I was bummed and pissed the rest of the day because of it. I dropped the average ~10 seconds and ~25 world rankings for no reason.

I post this here because this story seems like BLD in a nutshell. It's certainly more common than with big cubes. I think I understand a bit better why Ollie and company can't stand caring about their results, and have their entire comp ruined by a few DNFs. It must be even worse, having the disappointment happen so suddenly, right after you take off the blindfold. At least I had a couple minutes during edges to gradually come to the realization that I was screwing up. You all just have to wait and see. :(

Iggy

WCA
2012SEVE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
At my comp last weekend, I finally got a chance to compete in 7x7. It's the first time I've competed in something larger than 5x5, and the first time I've competed in an event where I had a shot to be in/near the top 100 in the world. My first two solves went well, and the centers of my third solve were fine also. But during edges of the last solve, the nerves, combined with the fact that I was using a black cube and I'm used to white ones, got to me. All of a sudden, I couldn't see anything, and was pausing for 5 seconds at a time and basically solving like someone who averages 5:30. Nerves have never done that to my cubing before. I was on pace for a low 3:50s average after the first two, but got a 4:22 on the last one all because of that breakdown during edges, and flopped and choked my way to a sup 4 average. I still won the event easily and am in the top 150 in the world for single and average, but I was bummed and pissed the rest of the day because of it. I dropped the average ~10 seconds and ~25 world rankings for no reason.

I post this here because this story seems like BLD in a nutshell. It's certainly more common than with big cubes. I think I understand a bit better why Ollie and company can't stand caring about their results, and have their entire comp ruined by a few DNFs. It must be even worse, having the disappointment happen so suddenly, right after you take off the blindfold. At least I had a couple minutes during edges to gradually come to the realization that I was screwing up. You all just have to wait and see. :(

That sucks :/ But yeah, I normally get disappointed with my big BLD results at comps, and it doesn't really help that I get nervous before every event lol

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2nd 5bld attempt, DNF, memo was around 19:30. Off by 4 xcenters, 2 +centers, 8 wings, 4 midges and 4 corners. I don't know why I messed the ez "3x3" part up...

DNF(29:07.29) Dw R2 L Uw2 Bw' L Fw2 Uw2 Fw' Uw' D Fw2 Uw Rw' B F2 Lw' B Rw R' Bw' L Lw Fw' D2 Uw' Rw' Uw U2 Bw2 Uw R2 L Dw2 F B R' U' D R2 Fw2 Lw' Uw2 Fw' R B Dw2 B' F2 Bw2 Lw2 F' Dw' B' Lw Fw' B U Lw2 Rw'

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3rd 5bld attempt, 3 mins faster. almost the same result as last attempt... memo was around 18 mins
off by 2 +-centers, 3 x-centers, 8 wings, 2 midges and 4 corners... I mess up the 3x3 every time... I use m2/op for that.

DNF(26:11.68) Dw L' U Dw B2 Rw Dw B Lw' Dw2 Bw2 D' Fw' Dw' Uw Lw2 D R Uw' F B' R2 L' Bw2 R2 Uw' F Fw L2 U Rw' Dw' F' L D Dw2 F Bw2 R2 L2 Uw2 Rw Lw Uw' U' R U' Uw2 R Uw2 Rw2 Lw2 U2 B R2 Uw L R' Fw' Rw2

ZeshaaK

WCA
2015KHOK02
3rd 5bld attempt, 3 mins faster. almost the same result as last attempt... memo was around 18 mins
off by 2 +-centers, 3 x-centers, 8 wings, 2 midges and 4 corners... I mess up the 3x3 every time... I use m2/op for that.

DNF(26:11.68) Dw L' U Dw B2 Rw Dw B Lw' Dw2 Bw2 D' Fw' Dw' Uw Lw2 D R Uw' F B' R2 L' Bw2 R2 Uw' F Fw L2 U Rw' Dw' F' L D Dw2 F Bw2 R2 L2 Uw2 Rw Lw Uw' U' R U' Uw2 R Uw2 Rw2 Lw2 U2 B R2 Uw L R' Fw' Rw2

Dont give up lol. You got this! :tu

Also just curious, what is your order of execution?

TheCoolMinxer

WCA
2014GERB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Dont give up lol. You got this! :tu

Also just curious, what is your order of execution?
I won't give up! :D
order: +centers, xcenters, wings, midges, corners

e:
4th attempt,memo was round 19:50, dnf by
2 +-centers, 2 x-centers, 10 wings (BJ), 4 midges(BJ) and 4 corners (y again?)

DNF(27:57.57) U Lw Fw D Fw2 R2 Dw2 L Bw2 Dw Fw' F' D F U2 Uw D2 L2 R B2 F L2 Uw' Lw' Dw Rw2 B2 Fw2 Bw L' Lw' Fw L2 Bw2 R2 F Rw2 L2 U2 B' Lw Rw2 Uw' B' Dw L2 Uw L Lw2 Uw L R U' R' D' B2 U Bw2 L' Rw

Last edited: