• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What's the Best 3x3 Speedcube for You? -- Comparison of Major Speedcubes [video]

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
In the flood of the many speedcubes available, it's easy to lose overview. In this video, I compare 7 major speedcubes to find out which one is the best for you, if you're a beginner, intermediate, or advanced speedcuber. I hope I can help you get a general recommendation to the most asked question in the realm of cubing hardware: What's the best 3x3 speedcube for me? Enjoy! :)

[video=youtube_share;71jYbx5ghMs]http://youtu.be/71jYbx5ghMs[/video]

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A great review!

I found my Zhanchis far better than the Weilongs, although, I'm using Roux, which is heavily based on M moves. I think Zhanchi performs better on those moves.

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
A great review!

I found my Zhanchis far better than the Weilongs, although, I'm using Roux, which is heavily based on M moves. I think Zhanchi performs better on those moves.

Thank you!

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that. I think the Zhanchi is good in M moves because of its clicking mechanism. This allows the M slices to click into place and be more accurate, which is important as corner cutting for M moves isn't usually that good.
Thanks for your input! :)

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you!

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that. I think the Zhanchi is good in M moves because of its clicking mechanism. This allows the M slices to click into place and be more accurate, which is important as corner cutting for M moves isn't usually that good.
Thanks for your input! :)

Thanks. :)
I am thinking about buying an Aolong. How does it perform on M moves?

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel

Could you give a quick description for the Moyu Liying? I'm thinking about that cube. I love the way stuff like the Shengshou 5x5 feels. That sort of crunchiness. I also don't want a particularly fast cube, so I was thinking that the Liying might fit me better than the Aolong or something. What do you think?

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Could you give a quick description for the Moyu Liying? I'm thinking about that cube. I love the way stuff like the Shengshou 5x5 feels. That sort of crunchiness. I also don't want a particularly fast cube, so I was thinking that the Liying might fit me better than the Aolong or something. What do you think?

The Liying has a different sort of crunchiness IMO.
It feels like a gans iii (the old one) but more stable.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Thanks. :)
I am thinking about buying an Aolong. How does it perform on M moves?

Incredibly well. I've never had a problem with the M slices on my Aolong, and it's managed M slices even when, due to my own stupidity, it was misaligned by 30 degrees. If you're using a Zhanchi right now, it'll take a day or two just to get used to the different feel and higher speed of the Aolong, but one you do, it'll be really nice. The thing to watch out for are the tiny catches. They go away after a bunch of solves (I think Drew Brads said it took him about 1200 solves), but it means that you do need to break it in before it's fully ready. It is, however, better than the zhanchi (at least in my opinion) after about 100 or 200. The one serious issue I've had with the Aolong (Took about 2500 solves to become an issue) are the corner twists (like everyone else), and in every case it's been a result of terrible turning on my part.

tl;dr: Amazing cube, great M slices, but break in it first, and watch out for corner twists.

WCA
2012PATE01
You yourself say it is personal preference right?
Well this video is totally not about it...
You say aulong is for advanced cubers and less fast cubers can controle it wich is not true.
You say aulong is very fast wich is also just you who says that (although I am sure a majority of people would agree) but that is not the case with everyone.
You say that a zhanchi is a "all rounder " cube, that's not true at all I am probably sub 10 right know using a zhanchi and didn't bother buying a weilong becuase I hated it.
Except for the above I really like te vid but you give you're own opinion too much and have to talk a bit more about facts ( lets say instead of saying most "less-advanced" cubers probably can't controle the aolong instead of no "less advanced" cubers can).

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You say aulong is for advanced cubers and less fast cubers can controle it wich is not true.
You say aulong is very fast wich is also just you who says that (although I am sure a majority of people would agree) but that is not the case with everyone.
You say that a zhanchi is a "all rounder " cube, that's not true at all I am probably sub 10 right know using a zhanchi and didn't bother buying a weilong becuase I hated it.
Except for the above I really like te vid but you give you're own opinion too much and have to talk a bit more about facts ( lets say instead of saying most "less-advanced" cubers probably can't controle the aolong instead of no "less advanced" cubers can).

Relax...
Making a generalization, and/or conclusion about anything is what a reviewer must do. Of course it is not going to be the same for everyone, but it is how the reviewer feels. I run a review website and get tons of conflicting ideas. It is not that anyone is wrong, they just have their own experiences.

On another note. How do you feel about the Aurora? Also, with the Aolong on high tensions would it be ok for beginning speed cubes?

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel

Yes, it is personal preference. However, there are hard facts. Also, there are opinions that most people share. While there are always exceptions, this video is aimed to provide general guidance.

Of course lubing etc. plays a big role (as stated too), but it's a fact that the AoLong is very fast.

Most people would agree that the AoLong is for advanced cubers. Again, there are exceptions, but, again, this video is meant for a general overview. There's also a reason I don't define beginner, intermediate, and advanced cubers (for ex., I don't say advanced cubers are Sub XX).

Yes, the Zhanchi is a great allrounder! I even state that it will suit you well from just starting out to a world class level.

Thanks for your feedback!

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
Relax...
Making a generalization, and/or conclusion about anything is what a reviewer must do. Of course it is not going to be the same for everyone, but it is how the reviewer feels. I run a review website and get tons of conflicting ideas. It is not that anyone is wrong, they just have their own experiences.

On another note. How do you feel about the Aurora? Also, with the Aolong on high tensions would it be ok for beginning speed cubes?

I totally agree with you (see above post too)!

I don't own an Aurora, so I can't really give you full blown advice. I have tried it though and didn't like it too much.

The AoLong isn't going to be too good for beginners. How fast are you? I would recommend a YJ ChiLong if you're a beginner, and a YuLong if you're a bit faster (if you want to save money). However, if you average around 30 seconds, a WeiLong (or an AoLong if you really want to get it and lube it to be slow) would be great.

WhatIsRubiks

You should have included a cyclone boys 55mm...It is a good cube for beginners and is really cheap. I bought a 6 pack of them for 20 dollars for basically spare cubes just in case something happens to my main or back up mains.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes, it is personal preference. However, there are hard facts. Also, there are opinions that most people share. While there are always exceptions, this video is aimed to provide general guidance.

Of course lubing etc. plays a big role (as stated too), but it's a fact that the AoLong is very fast.

Most people would agree that the AoLong is for advanced cubers. Again, there are exceptions, but, again, this video is meant for a general overview. There's also a reason I don't define beginner, intermediate, and advanced cubers (for ex., I don't say advanced cubers are Sub XX).

Yes, the Zhanchi is a great allrounder! I even state that it will suit you well from just starting out to a world class level.

Thanks for your feedback!
My Weilong is faster than Aolong. It is actually a little slower than Weilong. Some reviews have stated it. Though it is on the fast side, it is slower than Weilong.

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I totally agree with you (see above post too)!

I don't own an Aurora, so I can't really give you full blown advice. I have tried it though and didn't like it too much.

The AoLong isn't going to be too good for beginners. How fast are you? I would recommend a YJ ChiLong if you're a beginner, and a YuLong if you're a bit faster (if you want to save money). However, if you average around 30 seconds, a WeiLong (or an AoLong if you really want to get it and lube it to be slow) would be great.

Can you tension an Aolong to be slow, or is lubing the best method. I have a tube of Lubix at the moment. I have heard a few time that the Aolong feels more comfortable. That is why I am looking into that cube.

YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you tension an Aolong to be slow, or is lubing the best method. I have a tube of Lubix at the moment. I have heard a few time that the Aolong feels more comfortable. That is why I am looking into that cube.
Tightening does help but not that much. Most people just overlube to make it slow! However at 30 sec, I was using a unlubed Weilong with tight tensions and I could control it so probably you can too!

WCA
2014BLOC01
I have an unlubed weilong and an unlubed aolong, and with no lube in either, the weilong is slightly faster.

Not saying that either is ideal, but simply that at the only point where I can be sure they have the same amount of lube in them, the weilong is a bit faster.

AmazingCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I have an unlubed weilong and an unlubed aolong, and with no lube in either, the weilong is slightly faster.

Not saying that either is ideal, but simply that at the only point where I can be sure they have the same amount of lube in them, the weilong is a bit faster.

This can be true (even though tensions still matter). However, at optimal settings for speed, the AoLong is faster than the WeiLong (in my experience). This is especially true for the WeiLong v2.

Conclusion: both are very similar, but I find the WeiLong (especially the v2) to be more controllable (this is due to other aspects too).

Last edited: