• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2x2 Ortega Method Discussion

nalralz

WCA
2014BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Being able to 2-look Ortega is really handy. Try to accurately predict OLL for about 30% of your solves. Then try to bring it up to 40% or 50%. It has taken me about 8 months to get to 50-70% which can get you to sub-5 easily.

Animorpher13

WCA
2015ELSP01
Figure out which of your algs for OLL will give you a PLL skip (i.e. which CLL cases they are). That was, when you see your OLL you will know if it will solve the entire layer or not. This is useful because as if it you do OLL, if you know that it will give you a PLL skip, you know if you will then have and adjacent or opposite switch on the bottom layer or if you will have the puzzle solved (if you made a layer and not just a side for the first step). Hope this makes sense/helps!

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started learning Ortega 2 weeks ago and I can predict OLL at least in easy cases like when the face already has 3 pieces and can be done with R U R', R U2 R' or similar and, of course, when you already have two bars or "almost" (face goes like R2, U R2 or U2 R2 or just U R', U2 R'...). It is really useful to be able to predict OLL. I will keep practising to do it in other more complex cases.

My main question is: I am still using a minimal set of algs (just the 3 basic PBLs), so I always leave the bar on bottom in the front before OLL and I need to do a z2 if I then get diag swap on top, or whenever I get a solved layer on top (and then do standard 3x3 T/Y-perm). Is it really worth it to learn algs for other cases (like bar on bottom and diag swap on top) and for different orientations? I'm now averaging between high 6 and low 8 seconds.

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Is it really worth it to learn algs for other cases (like bar on bottom and diag swap on top) and for different orientations?
I learned enough PBLs that I don't have to flip the cube upside down and I don't have to do y2, although I still sometimes do U2 or D2 to align before PBL. It's not many extra cases, and I'm sure it has helped my times.

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started learning Ortega 2 weeks ago and I can predict OLL at least in easy cases like when the face already has 3 pieces and can be done with R U R', R U2 R' or similar and, of course, when you already have two bars or "almost" (face goes like R2, U R2 or U2 R2 or just U R', U2 R'...). It is really useful to be able to predict OLL. I will keep practising to do it in other more complex cases.

My main question is: I am still using a minimal set of algs (just the 3 basic PBLs), so I always leave the bar on bottom in the front before OLL and I need to do a z2 if I then get diag swap on top, or whenever I get a solved layer on top (and then do standard 3x3 T/Y-perm). Is it really worth it to learn algs for other cases (like bar on bottom and diag swap on top) and for different orientations? I'm now averaging between high 6 and low 8 seconds.

it certainly helps to know as many cases as you can, and they're all easy enough to learn!
i use most of these (i don't use the fourth adj-adj case or the last 3 diag-adj algs)

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Being able to 2-look Ortega is really handy. Try to accurately predict OLL for about 30% of your solves. Then try to bring it up to 40% or 50%. It has taken me about 8 months to get to 50-70% which can get you to sub-5 easily.

not only this, but predicting CP based on what CLL case you have (even though you perform OLL-PBL) can help you 1look solves, or 2look the ones you couldn't see the OLL on

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
I learned enough PBLs that I don't have to flip the cube upside down and I don't have to do y2, although I still sometimes do U2 or D2 to align before PBL. It's not many extra cases, and I'm sure it has helped my times.

it certainly helps to know as many cases as you can, and they're all easy enough to learn!
i use most of these (i don't use the fourth adj-adj case or the last 3 diag-adj algs)

Thank you both for the advice and the link to the algs! I'll certainly try to learn some of those.

KotoKubing

WCA
2016STAR02
Ortega Help!

I have been getting slower at ortega due to taking a 2 month break from 2x2. I need to have some criticism.
Scramble: R' U' F2 R' F R2 U2 R' F2 U'
Inspection: y' x'
First Side: U2 L
OLL: U (R U R' U') (R' F R F')
PBL: y' (R U' R) F2 (R' U R')
AUF: none
Time: 4.91

Next One:

Scramble: R2 U' F' U F2 R' U2 R2 U'
Inspection: y x2'
First Side: U R2' x U R U' R' x' D
OLL: F (R U R' U' *3) F'
PBL: U (R2 U R2' U2') y' (R2 U R2')
Time: 6.81

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. I really want to get either a sub 5 average or a sub 4 average. I currently average Sub 6. Also, I use the Dayan 2x2 which no longer pops due to breaking in and extreme tension adjustments.

Isaac Lai

WCA
2015LAII01
The first scramble had a two move face that you did. In easy situations like this, try to see your OLL and go straight into it. On the second scamble, you missed a two move face (as Cale pointed out) where you could have done the same thing.

jaredye

I'm sure you can find it in the 2x2 one answer question thread. You can use the search function of the forum and see what people say and what video they post.

I personally never learned from videos. You just observe 2 consecutive sides. If they are both opposite color (eg red/orange + blue/green) then the layer is a diagonal swap. If you see two bars then this layer is done. If it's oppsite+adjacent, or 2 colors+bar then it's adjacent swap.

It's hard to recognize the cases very quickly. One thing you need to do is when you're building the bottom face, track the sides so you know what bottom layer is (done, diagonal swap or adjacent swap, and where the bar is for adjacent case). That way you only need to look at two sides on the U layer after you do OLL, and looking at just 1 layer is much easier.

So, I want to get into 2x2 but I keep on messing up my solves because of the bar 'L' case with the adjacent swap on one layer and an diagonal swap on the other. I just cannot get it righ. How do I recognise it? Thanks in advance,

~IaS.

SimonV

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, I want to get into 2x2 but I keep on messing up my solves because of the bar 'L' case with the adjacent swap on one layer and an diagonal swap on the other. I just cannot get it righ. How do I recognise it? Thanks in advance,

~IaS.
Hold the bar on the top face, facing you and then perform this alg: (R U' R) F2 (R' U R').
I could make a vid of me performing it if you want.

When building your 1st layer, try predicting where your bar will be (if you will even have one) and then when you are done with OLL, you look for the 'PLL', if u didn't have a bar on the 1st layer and you do have one on the 2nd layer, then put the bar in front and then perform the alg, then look for AUF (adjusting of the U-face)

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you end up with a diagonal swap you must have not recognised the case correctly. Maybe you thought you had a diag swap on one layer but it was a bar instead. I also recommend learning an alternative alg with bar on bottom and diag-swap on top to avoid z2 cube rotations.

dylan0606

hi i have found so many tips with ortega but i dont know how to practice them so please help :)