• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2x2 Ortega Method Discussion

BluePi1313

WCA
2010MASH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
2x2x2 Ortega Method Help

If you have a sub 7 avg for the 2x2, I really need your help. I've been practicing the Ortega method for months, and I memorized the algorithm in a week or something. Please, help me!!! I have a 9-11 seconds avg right now, if that helps. :( :confused:

Zarxrax

Make sure you are doing the first step quickly. It only takes less than 5 moves usually. Make sure you are color neutral. Make sure you have efficient algs for all the olls and pbls. How is your pbl recognition?
Also, if you see you have an easy case for a full first layer, consider going for it, because then you'll have a 1/6 chance of PLL skip.

Last edited:

Baian Liu

Are you color neutral? You can solve a face with 5 moves or less, I believe.

Try predicting the permutation of the bottom face to reduce some recognition time. Adding the prediction of OLL would reduce it further.

Practice recognition and execution.

da25centz

WCA
2010MEYE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
just to repeat what was said above, you definitely want to be color neutral for the first face.
also, make sure you have efficient OLL algs. When i first learned ortega i just used my normal CFOP algs for the OLL but if you look around on the wiki and other places on the forums you can find things that work on the 2x2 and not the 3x3 that are much faster. thewestonian has a really good youtube tutorial if youre looking for algs and also some tips

hawkmp4

Why was my post deleted? What's wrong with posting a link for useful algorythyms to try out? I certainly would have liked it if somebody had shown me this website earlier.

Your link was to an unrelated flash game.

Global

Need help getting to sub 10

I just recently started 2x2 cubing, and I'd like some help getting to sub 10.

I use Ortega and my cube is a Eastsheen. I usually average around 13-14seconds

If you would like a video of me solving just ask.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Predicting 2x2 OLL from inspection (ortega)

I got my 2x2 just over a week ago (A XingYu). I have fallen in love with 2x2. Just mwah!

Any ways I've learned Ortega and all of BPL. With this I'm averaging around 6.5ish with a lot of 5's. (PB of 2.20) All my best times have come when I have a face with three pieces already inserted with the last piece right above it and I can predict OLL. When I can predict OLL I usually can get at least sub 5 usually sub 5.5 and sometimes sub 4. So my question is, are there any good resources for predicting OLL? I found one video on youtube but it only talks about inserting with R U R' and U R U' R'. Furthermore it doesn't talk about if the piece needs a U2 to put it in the position to insert. (I don't know why but I have trouble if a U2 needs to be applied. Not U or U' just U2)

I'm just looking for more in depth resources. If you know of any or have any tips please post them! Thank you!

nalralz

WCA
2014BRAI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look-ahead is key for 2x2 so I would instead predict the bar and remember where the bar is on the bottom face so you know exactly what case it is. Predicting OLL is very difficult and I sometimes can't even do it and I am sub-4 with Ortega. Also, if you want to predict OLL, start by predicting it from 1 piece out of place and then go to 2. That is all you really need but it is crucial to build efficient layers and to know where the solved bar is or if you have a opposite swap so when you finnish OLL, you can go straight to you PBL algs.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Look-ahead is key for 2x2 so I would instead predict the bar and remember where the bar is on the bottom face so you know exactly what case it is. Predicting OLL is very difficult and I sometimes can't even do it and I am sub-4 with Ortega. Also, if you want to predict OLL, start by predicting it from 1 piece out of place and then go to 2. That is all you really need but it is crucial to build efficient layers and to know where the solved bar is or if you have a opposite swap so when you finnish OLL, you can go straight to you PBL algs.

I already predict where the bar/lack of bar will be. I'm not saying I expect to predict OLL every time but if I can a bit more often it could really help my times a lot I think. If you really don't think I should bother than I will take your advice though.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not the best at predicting OLL, but when I try doing it, I usually track three pieces, one at a time, and then the fourth can only be in one possible orientation. Just follow the sticker with your finger where it will go as you imagine executing the face solution.
This might be quite hard if you've only been doing 2x2 a week though since your faces might be quite inefficient, so tracking pieces will take longer, and you might need to spend more time planning the face. However you'll get faster with practise.