• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Video] Roux as a Beginner Method

Hey just wanted to pop in and say that these videos own. I bought my first cube about 2 months ago, quickly gave up on the beginner's method and found these videos instead. Roux made perfect sense to me and I think the version that you teach is much, much better than the beginner's method. When my dad wanted to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube again (he used to solve them back when they were big in the 80s) I just linked him to these and he picked it up in a couple days.

I've been practicing regularly for the past 2 months or so--now that I have an Aolong I'm down around 45 seconds on average. Gotta keep working on that block building...

Thanks again for the awesome tutorial.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
DeeDubb! Great Tutorial. I'm a CFOP solver sitting at a sub-40 average, and I was interested in Roux. I went ahead and learned 2-Look CMLL in a night, due to already knowing full PLL, but the only issue is my lookahead for edges and corners when building blocks. I'm struggling with it. Is it alot like CFOP lookahead?

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm glad my videos are helping people.

Umm... I need to make a video on Roux "look ahead". Though, my lookahead isn't that great, but it'll probably be helpful. Lookahead should really only apply to the second block, as you should be able to get most of the first block planned out during inspection (at the very least the 2x2).

I do my Roux f2l like CFOP, except I look for edges in the bottom layer and match them. I also use M slice moves to split apart bad pairs to make an easier F2L case.

Half of Roux pairs (on the second block specifically) should look like CFOP pairs. The other half should not. Any time you need to do a y rotation, you should try to find a way to use a Rw to insert the pair instead.

Hey just wanted to pop in and say that these videos own. I bought my first cube about 2 months ago, quickly gave up on the beginner's method and found these videos instead. Roux made perfect sense to me and I think the version that you teach is much, much better than the beginner's method. When my dad wanted to learn how to solve a Rubik's cube again (he used to solve them back when they were big in the 80s) I just linked him to these and he picked it up in a couple days.

I've been practicing regularly for the past 2 months or so--now that I have an Aolong I'm down around 45 seconds on average. Gotta keep working on that block building...

Thanks again for the awesome tutorial.

Great job, and thank you so much for the kind words. It feels really good to help people. I cannot stress enough that my method is simply to get your foot in the door. Look at Waffo's and Donovan's videos as soon as you get a chance. They will help you go from solving to speed sovling. However, at 45 seconds, it seems that you are doing some amount of speed solving, which is great!

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
So I'm having trouble. If when I get to the last step, there are two similar and one odd along the top and bottom I can finish it. Even the dots case. But now I've got a case where all four edges on the m slice need to be moved.

Can you explain how to proceed?

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you. That's the video I was using. However it doesn't cover (or if it does I'm not seeing it) on what to do if there isn't the 2 and 1 case.
With blue on the left and green on the right, I need the top front edge to switch with the bottom front. And same with the rear top and bottom. If that makes sense

Umm... I need to make a video on Roux "look ahead". Though, my lookahead isn't that great, but it'll probably be helpful. Lookahead should really only apply to the second block, as you should be able to get most of the first block planned out during inspection (at the very least the 2x2).

Whenever you get that Roux lookahead video up, I would be glad to view it.

philipneri

DeeDubb, thank you for these videos. I have been fiddling with the Rubik's Cube for about a month and a half. I learned the Roux method from your tutorial videos five days ago; I thought they were excellent. I proceeded to immediately start watching your Walkthrough Solves. I found them frustrating because I had no idea what was going on. Fast forward to today, after just five days on practicing on my own, I gave your Walkthrough Solve videos another shot and I found them to be immensely helpful/insightful. So good job on those as well.

Thank you thank you thank you

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
DeeDubb, thank you for these videos. I have been fiddling with the Rubik's Cube for about a month and a half. I learned the Roux method from your tutorial videos five days ago; I thought they were excellent. I proceeded to immediately start watching your Walkthrough Solves. I found them frustrating because I had no idea what was going on. Fast forward to today, after just five days on practicing on my own, I gave your Walkthrough Solve videos another shot and I found them to be immensely helpful/insightful. So good job on those as well.

Thank you thank you thank you

Wow, this feels great to hear. You're so welcome.

Your experience with my walkthrough solve videos is exactly the experience i had watching other walkthrough solve videos. When I was first starting, they were WAY over my head, but pretty soon, more and more of it started to make sense.

As much as I try, it's impossible to just transfer knowledge to people. There's some level of self discovery needed to open some of the doors. I'm glad you took time and began to understand the cube, and I'm really glad you are able to absorb my walkthrough solves.

Also, I hope you have upgraded to a better 2 Look CMLL if you are speed solving. The algs are tougher, but WAY easier to recognize and execute.

Keep me updated on your progress, best of luck, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

philipneri

Also, I hope you have upgraded to a better 2 Look CMLL if you are speed solving. The algs are tougher, but WAY easier to recognize and execute.

Keep me updated on your progress, best of luck, and let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have upgraded to the 2 Look CMLL from LubixCube.com. I am making slow and steady progress. I have been cubing for 2 months and 4 days. I switched to Roux 20 days ago. Before Roux, I was averaging 110 seconds with CFOP. Now I average 70 seconds with Roux. My first block takes about 17 seconds/12 moves. My second block takes about 23 seconds/15 moves. U Corners takes 10 seconds. L6E takes 20 seconds. Not particularly impressive ... But I am content/pleased with my progress.

Your walkthrough solves have really helped me with my L6E. Tracking the UL/UR edges. Making sure I do my M moves in the proper direction for the yellow bar/white bar to end on the top so that I don't have to do an extra M2 at the end. They have also helped me a bit with getting more efficient with my pair insertions on the first two blocks.

So again ... thank you.

Last edited:

GuRoux

WCA
2014TANG03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have upgraded to the 2 Look CMLL from LubixCube.com. I am making slow and steady progress. I have been cubing for 2 months and 4 days. I switched to Roux 20 days ago. Before Roux, I was averaging 110 seconds with CFOP. Now I average 70 seconds with Roux. My first block takes about 17 seconds/12 moves. My second block takes about 23 seconds/15 moves. U Corners takes 10 seconds. L6E takes 20 seconds. Not particularly impressive ... But I am content pleased my progress.

Your walkthrough solves have really helped me with my L6E. Tracking the UL/UR edges. Making sure I do my M moves in the proper direction for the yellow bar/white bar end on the top so that I don't have to do an extra M2 at the end. They have also helped me a bit with getting more efficient with my pair insertions on the first two blocks.

So again ... thank you.

nice progression, you're right on track. don't forget that doing slow solves is beneficial to your efficiency.

philipneri

nice progression, you're right on track. don't forget that doing slow solves is beneficial to your efficiency.

Thank you for the encouragement. I agree that slow solves are more beneficial. The majority of my solves are slow. I am actually not too interested in getting fast/being a real speedsolver.

I am a middle school science teacher. My students got me into cubing. Most of my students are way faster than I will ever be. I don't really have the time/dedication/motivation to get sub-30 or anything. I just enjoy solving the cube in between classes or as a break from grading.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thank you for the encouragement. I agree that slow solves are more beneficial. The majority of my solves are slow. I am actually not too interested in getting fast/being a real speedsolver.

I am a middle school science teacher. My students got me into cubing. Most of my students are way faster than I will ever be. I don't really have the time/dedication/motivation to get sub-30 or anything. I just enjoy solving the cube in between classes or as a break from grading.

That's cool. I'm a teacher also. I teach English in Korea. I have enough spare time that I can spend a lot of time getting faster, fortunately. I also get some chances to teach my students. It's nice to have more adult cubers around the forums as well. Best of luck. Maybe you'll catch the bug and push to sub 30.

philipneri

That's cool. I'm a teacher also. I teach English in Korea. I have enough spare time that I can spend a lot of time getting faster, fortunately. I also get some chances to teach my students. It's nice to have more adult cubers around the forums as well. Best of luck. Maybe you'll catch the bug and push to sub 30.

I am not surprised that you are a teacher. Your tutorial shows that you have excellent didactic/pedagogical skills. Yeah, you never know ... I might catch the bug over summer break. I will have a lot of free time then.

Another fun update on my progress. I just got a new cube today (MoYo AoLong v2). I have done about 50 solves on it today. Only 20 of them were timed, but I think this new cube has shaved 5-10 seconds off my time. I am getting dangerously close to averaging 60 seconds. It is a small sample size. Maybe, I will be back to averaging 70 seconds tomorrow.