• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Alex Lau 3x3 ER - 7.52

Artic

I would say it's pretty clear that you have never been in a high pressure situation with a good chance at breaking a WR. Cameras can be just one more distraction. (particularly if there are a lot of them, all pointed at you)

That's part of being a competitor at the highest level. If you can't deal with the heat, get out of the kitchen. All other high level athletes/competitors deal with it and move on. You think Kobe Bryant can request for no cameras? Lionel Messi? How about every single Olympian? Chess players at the world chess championship? Go players? The little kids at the Spelling bee competition?

Not dealing with something as silly as a camera is more a sign of weakness. And I hope I'm don't sound too harsh. Alex is my favorite cuber. His Roux solves are freakin sexy. But I don't get this no camera nonsense.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's part of being a competitor at the highest level. If you can't deal with the heat, get out of the kitchen. All other high level athletes/competitors deal with it and move on. You think Kobe Bryant can request for no cameras? Lionel Messi? How about every single Olympian? Chess players at the world chess championship? Go players? The little kids at the Spelling bee competition?

Not dealing with something as silly as a camera is more a sign of weakness. And I hope I'm don't sound too harsh. Alex is my favorite cuber. His Roux solves are freakin sexy. But I don't get this no camera nonsense.
Think of it this way:
Would you rather have him break a record and be happy for him? Or just have more video of his solves.

Last edited:

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Not everyone wants to be under the spotlight. If he doesn't want cameras pointing at him, so be it. Who are you to judge him?

jeff081692

WCA
2012JAME03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Chess players at the world chess championship?
Bobby Fischer refused to play the second game in a world championship match unless cameras were removed. He had to deal with it though. But since everyone isn't forced to have all their solves filmed, Alex has a right to make the solving conditions for him as comfortable as possible.

Last edited:

XTowncuber

WCA
2010BRAD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

You sound too harsh. Cameras aren't silly they're nerve racking. (especially when there are 5-10 of them all pointed at you)! Go try to break a WR and get back to us with your opinion.

WCA
2010YUPH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I respectfully disagree.

Bryant, Messi, various Olympians, top chess players, go players and spelling bee contestants can probably all request "no cameras". The question is whether their request be entertained given their circumstances. I'd say our competition community is largely an everyone-knows-everyone community. I think, given our friendly and close environment, it is totally acceptable to at least ask people not to film you.

That said, a person filming another person in a public place (for personal use) likely has no legal obligation to stop filming, even if the filmed requests no filming. However, as a matter of common decency and respect, most people comply with "no filming" requests. As friends, acquaintances and friendly competitors, we would much rather know that other competition-goers are comfortable than to outright ignore an simple, honest request.

The "no camera" request is far from being nonsense. I think this is especially true in local competitions.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01

Before everyone calls Artic a ****, realise at big comps Alex will have no choice in this matter. Of course getting filmed adds pressure, so does competing. But if he doesn't adjust to it now, he'll be screwed at Worlds 2015 if he goes, and similar for Euros.

Personally I don't know if filming makes me solve worse. I always try to get filmed in Pyra because I want records, and I shake because it's the event I know I'm capable of doing well in.

I think taking it super serious and stopping people from filming you does nothing but add pressure to get good results. If you just do your solves, not caring about spectators I feel like there'd be less pressure.

Anyway, congrats Alex, crazy fast, I just hope you try to get over this cameraphobia.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before everyone calls Artic a ****, realise at big comps Alex will have no choice in this matter. Of course getting filmed adds pressure, so does competing. But if he doesn't adjust to it now, he'll be screwed at Worlds 2015 if he goes, and similar for Euros.

Personally I don't know if filming makes me solve worse. I always try to get filmed in Pyra because I want records, and I shake because it's the event I know I'm capable of doing well in.

I think taking it super serious and stopping people from filming you does nothing but add pressure to get good results. If you just do your solves, not caring about spectators I feel like there'd be less pressure.

Anyway, congrats Alex, crazy fast, I just hope you try to get over this cameraphobia.

It's a psychological thing. If he requests not to be filmed, people can still film hi (as shown by Noah with 5.96). If he doesn't know people are filming, or he thinks they aren't, nothing negative happens.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol people raging (edit: upset) at Alex for no video. QQ harder please, performance anxiety is a real thing that affects a lot of people (there's a video of me getting a 10.48 average in finals at UK Open 2012 where I'm using prescribed biofeedback techniques to calm my heartrate down because I was so nervous). He'll break through it when he breaks through it, and slamming him and trying to compare him to goddamn olympians is hyperbole to the most ridiculous degree.

Some of you may not experience this (which is part of why some of you don't understand), but on one hand you have smallish things like Alex feeling incapable of performing while recorded, while on the other you have people who have never passed an exam in their life while being extremely intelligent. If you have any comments regarding it, learn something first and actually think instead of just 'hurr durr why no video wtf'. This tilts me even more when people don't have first hand experience of that pressure themselves, and even more when they credit themselves with the ability to type the 'solution' for someone and disrespect the recipient by believing it has any meaning for them.

On a slightly less impassioned note, really well done Alex, really well done.

Last edited:

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Escher who's raging? All I'm saying is he's gotta get used to it if he wants to do well at Worlds where people will film regardless of request.

Anyway no one is raging, calm down Escher.

Last edited:

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Lol people raging at Alex for no video. QQ harder please, performance anxiety is a real thing that affects a lot of people (there's a video of me getting a 10.48 average in finals at UK Open 2012 where I'm using prescribed biofeedback techniques to calm my heartrate down because I was so nervous). He'll break through it when he breaks through it, and slamming him and trying to compare him to goddamn olympians is hyperbole to the most ridiculous degree.

Some of you may not experience this (which is part of why some of you don't understand), but on one hand you have smallish things like Alex feeling incapable of performing while recorded, while on the other you have people who have never passed an exam in their life while being extremely intelligent. If you have any comments regarding it, learn something first and actually think instead of just 'hurr durr why no video wtf'. This tilts me even more when people don't have first hand experience of that pressure themselves, and even more when they credit themselves with the ability to type the 'solution' for someone and disrespect the recipient by believing it has any meaning for them.

You are the only one really on the offensive. I think people are being fairly civil in here. No one is crying. We would love to see a video, and while Alex certainly doesn't owe it to anyone, when you're that damned good at anything, people will want to document and analyze.

The comparison to top level athletes is not hyperbole at all. It is a comparison to the best in the world at other things (through a much larger scope).

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You are the only one really on the offensive. I think people are being fairly civil in here. No one is crying. We would love to see a video, and while Alex certainly doesn't owe it to anyone, when you're that damned good at anything, people will want to document and analyze.

The comparison to top level athletes is not hyperbole at all. It is a comparison to the best in the world at other things (through a much larger scope).

How is this not hyperbole? Why link me the definition? This is a miniscule hobby that occasionally garners media attention. If I was the best in the world at threading needles but didn't like getting recorded, does that inherently make threading needles an event with 'world stage performance', and the associated criticism here worthy of myself?

I'm on the offensive because regardless of the level of civility of comments (I fully admit my language was the least civil in this thread) there are some very meaningful things being implicated about performance anxiety that deserve to be quashed, rather than brushed over because they are written in a polite way.

This is actually quite an appalling attitude and I find it interesting that anybody in this thread thought it wise to agree with him, and glad there are many that didn't. There is no lack of good intentions in any of these posts but that doesn't discount the delivered meaning. As someone who works with the mentally ill I have heard literally identical phrases to do with depression, anxiety, agoraphobia and even schizophrenia from family members, friends and strangers. I think it displays a core problem with the way these kind of things are interpreted by others, and that apparently applies even in as minuscule an example as cubing camera phobia. I don't think it's illegitimate to address it here.

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you guys can't handle 1 camera set up by a random dude standing 1-2meter away from the table, then you guys need to grow up. The problem is when the people filming you are standing too close, making weird noises etc.

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
All the people in here saying "Ohhh get over it. It's a camera" It's really fricken annoying. When I go up to do 2x2 solves there is usually 10+ cameras+phones and almost all of them make a loud "DING" and it's incredibly distracting. It's also really annoying when people decide to start all this "ding"ing right as I lift my hands off the timer. When you're already under the pressure of trying to break a record, any little thing can add to your nerves.

Alex has all the right to not want to be filmed. Sure it's disappointing that we didn't see it, but I would rather him get a nice average without it on film than see that he failed and have that on cam. Give the guy a break.

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I lot of what I would've liked to have said has been said already, but I'd just like to add my own opinion. I'm sure you already know what it is. But first:

You are ridiculous. What a disappointing, immature, unnuanced attitude. You don't know how hard I've had to work for this record.

By the way, I *have* partially stepped out the metaphorical kitchen. I don't practise much anymore. I go to comps for fun. But when I see that I can still solve fast, I grab the opportunity.

Comparing me to world class athletes and stuff, sure. But the media hasn't corrupted the cubing world yet have they? To be honest if the cubing competitions had the atmosphere of a wrestling ring with all those silly lights I'd quit.

I won't address your other rhetorical questions (well they are all one really, extended for dramatic effect) since everyone else seems to have grilled you (which I'm grateful for). On top of my no camera request, I also request you to think about yourself, step out of this "kitchen" of yours as it were.

Oh I'll be fine. I can still be reasonably fast with the pressure of getting filmed and a crowd of kids. Like, low 8s. Good enough for Euros, Worlds. My concentration parts slightly to whatever it is observing. The pressure itself, however, I think I might need to try to explain, though Rowan has already hinted at it. The pressure really comes from people's expectations to do well, because for cubing the way I really work is being extremely relaxed, and when these people, often totally innocent, say stuff like "gogogo alex turn really fast get WR", this "fast" conflicts with my solving style. In the past this has caused me issues.

Hence, in the inanimate object of a camera seems imbued the meaning of all this. By the way, in UKO12 somebody was clicking a camera at me during OH. I was totally furious. That might be it. I've had beeps to clicks to kids whispering "have you pressed recórd?". I'll have you know some did that at this very comp, in the first round. I don't resent it. They have the right to do so.

I think a camera in the distance would be OK tbh. I'd try it perhaps at my next comp, but I will not pressure myself to do so.

Last edited:

MWilson

Comparison to paid athletes on sponsored teams is a perfect example of hyperbole. When a solver shows up at a competition to solve twisty puzzles, they are there for personal ambition and/or fun, not to please investors and maintain a fragile career path.

Cubing competitions are not held in stadiums brimming with cameras from sports networks. These are semi-casual social situations between generally friendly, like-minded people. If a competitor makes a reasonable request, and those around them are courteous enough to grant it, then that is that.

However... I will admit that I look forward to the major competitions where Alex's solves are on camera whether he likes it or not. :)

Until then his no-video request is fair.

Artic

I lot of what I would've liked to have said has been said already, but I'd just like to add my own opinion. I'm sure you already know what it is. But first:

You are ridiculous. What a disappointing, immature, unnuanced attitude. You don't know how hard I've had to work for this record.

By the way, I *have* partially stepped out the metaphorical kitchen. I don't practise much anymore. I go to comps for fun. But when I see that I can still solve fast, I grab the opportunity.

Comparing me to world class athletes and stuff, sure. But the media hasn't corrupted the cubing world yet have they? To be honest if the cubing competitions had the atmosphere of a wrestling ring with all those silly lights I'd quit.

I won't address your other rhetorical questions (well they are all one really, extended for dramatic effect) since everyone else seems to have grilled you (which I'm grateful for). On top of my no camera request, I also request you to think about yourself, step out of this "kitchen" of yours as it were.

Oh I'll be fine. I can still be reasonably fast with the pressure of getting filmed and a crowd of kids. Like, low 8s. Good enough for Euros, Worlds. My concentration parts slightly to whatever it is observing. The pressure itself, however, I think I might need to try to explain, though Rowan has already hinted at it. The pressure really comes from people's expectations to do well, because for cubing the way I really work is being extremely relaxed, and when these people, often totally innocent, say stuff like "gogogo alex turn really fast get WR", this "fast" conflicts with my solving style. In the past this has caused me issues.

Hence, in the inanimate object of a camera seems imbued the meaning of all this. By the way, in UKO12 somebody was clicking a camera at me during OH. I was totally furious. That might be it. I've had beeps to clicks to kids whispering "have you pressed recórd?". I'll have you know some did that at this very comp, in the first round. I don't resent it. They have the right to do so.

I think a camera in the distance would be OK tbh. I'd try it perhaps at my next comp, but I will not pressure myself to do so.

No offense, but this reply is full of rambling excuses. And I'm glad a lot of cubers here agree with me in viewing your fear of cameras as absurd. You yourself called it an inanimate object. Well, that little inanimate object sure does have a huge control over your life. But the sad part is your unwillingness and reluctance to cope with your fear. That really is an indicator of mental weakness. You should never let a fear win. That goes for anything in life. You should look at it as an obstacle to overcome, not a challenge to avoid. But you've chosen to avoid it. And that's the sad part.

All the other major cubers: Feliks, Mats, etc etc, thrive under the pressure, embrace it, and come out on top. But not you. You let it get to you. You let it dictate your state of mind. And all because you've chosen to run away from your fear. Well, again, I find that truly sad. And I think...deep inside, you also realize how terrible it is to be a slave to such a fear. You will never publicly admit it of course. You would rather cling to a weird policy than ever admit to being dominated by a fear.

Regardless, you can do as you wish. Just remember:

"The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." -Nelson Mandel
“Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free.” -Jim Morrison
“Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

ottozing

Platinum Member
WCA
2012MCNE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, that little inanimate object sure does have a huge control over your life.

I feel like it's worth noting (In case you didn't already know) that Alex doesn't even really cube all that much anymore (As far as I know. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong Alex). As far as all that fear stuff goes, I really don't think having a fear of something is the same as being made nervous by something. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject, but I think you've definitely exaggerated Alex's nervousness far beyond what it actually is. If he really had a fear of being filmed, he'd probably crack a lot more under that pressure and literally run away from it.

Enough of that. Congratulations on the average Alex! :D

DuffyEdge

WCA
2013CRON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
indicator of mental weakness...You should never let a fear win...You let it get to you...You let it dictate your state of mind...run away from your fear...how terrible it is to be a slave to such a fear

Jesus, I don't think his fear is that insanely drastic. He would just rather have no cameras than cameras, which is up to him.

Relax man

Also, well done Alex! You finally got it :)