• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

SwitchTile - A New Puzzle for your Touchscreen Device [Android]

Erifdex

YouTube
Visit Channel

Hi Speedsolving! I have just released a brand new version of switchtile - a puzzle game for touchscreen devices, where a scrambled two-dimensional grid of tiles must be rearranged back to the original grid pattern as fast as possible. It's completely free, with no hidden in-app-purchases or adverts.

I developed the original app 7 years ago in 2014 (if you're getting deja vu!), and it gained a small following of speed-solvers competing for the best times and averages. However it has since grown old, and is now quite outdated and sluggish. As a result, I have spent the past 12 months creating a brand new version, with loads of new features!
  • Two modes- classic & advanced
    • In classic mode, the rows and columns of the 2d grid wrap around the edges
    • Advanced mode adds the ability to rotate the central tile(s)
  • Three board sizes - 3x3, 4x4, 5x5
  • Timed sessions
    • Keep track of consecutive solve averages: mean-of-3, average-of-5 and average-of-12
  • Detailed statistics
    • View all of your personal records, and results from every timed session
  • Configurable animation speeds
    • Tile sliding animations can be completely disabled if you want!
  • Multitouch support
    • Multiple rows/columns can be interacted with simultaneously!
    • Using two fingers to swipe a single row/column will move it twice
  • Dark theme!
  • Loads of different tile colour schemes
Constant development is funded through the Patreon page. Although the game has only been released for Android devices so far, I am planning to prepare and release an iOS version if the Patreon goal is reached, since iOS development is unfortunately really expensive!

Screenshots:

switchtile-app-screenshots.png

Note: this thread was originally used for the 2014 version of the game - initial post:

Hello all,

So I haven't really ever posted on this site, despite being a member for almost 2 years. (I've not stopped solving puzzles though!)

However, I've recently been working on a really simple touchscreen game inspired by the Rubik's cube, and I felt I should show it to everyone here. I'ts called SwitchTile, and it consists of a 2D grid of tiles, that can be shifted by row and column. The grid "wraps", meaning tiles slid off the right of the grid will reappear on the left, and so on. The goal is to restore a scrambled grid to its original, completed pattern (sound familiar?). After developing the basic mechanics of the puzzle, I spent a while teaching myself how to solve it - at the moment my method is to build up rows from bottom to top. My main motivation is to emulate the feeling of solving the Rubik's cube in a little touchscreen game, that still feels easy to interact with. This obviously means that my target audience is people who also love these sorts of puzzles (you guys!).

Some screenshots of the "normal" mode (no timer):

agaitJU.png
1ZMoCe3.png

g6Eutmi.png
zdjgXUi.png

Some screenshots of the timed mode:

9Oie35e.png
ie9ZtoN.png

A video showing everything together:

As you can see, there are two modes, normal (untimed) and timed, and three different grid sizes (3x3, 4x4 and 5x5)

I've been posting development logs on my blog over at Erifdex.net - (For SwitchTile specific posts, go here: erifdex.net/tag/switchtile).

Questions and feedback are welcome!
- Erifdex

Last edited:

Erifdex

YouTube
Visit Channel
So, I've finally released the game onto the Google Play store for Android devices. It's currently free (not sure if this will change), so I'd love people to go and take a look :)

Google Play Store Link

The game's website has also been updated (although it just shows a video):
erifdex.net/projects/switchtile

I don't currently own an android tablet, but the game should scale to larger screens without issues. That said, I'm fully expecting there to be some bugs as this is the initial release.

Enjoy!

YouTube
Visit Channel
Heh, Nice game :)
I suck at is, My best time 23 sec. Not anywhere near your 3 sec :)
Would recommend it surely :) May also show it in my channel, who knows :p
So, I've finally released the game onto the Google Play store for Android devices. It's currently free (not sure if this will change), so I'd love people to go and take a look :)

Google Play Store Link

The game's website has also been updated (although it just shows a video):
erifdex.net/projects/switchtile

I don't currently own an android tablet, but the game should scale to larger screens without issues. That said, I'm fully expecting there to be some bugs as this is the initial release.

Enjoy!

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is great! Something fun to practice on the tube. :) Can only manage sub-15 at the moment, getting there

edit: lol, lucky 6.97

edit2: 2.40 UWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like it. Only done 1 solve, 20.11. Using corners first an U perms, I suck. I need to learn H/Z/the other U.
CW U perm: M' E' M' E M'
CCW U perm: M E' M E M
H perm: ???
Z perm: ???
E: 19.20
How do other people do it? Does something like Petrus (2x2 -> 2-gen) work?
E2: It works, and much better than CF. 7.95 first try (second, but that was untimed to see if it works).
E3: 6.27... It's easier to do the pieces in order UL, U/L, L/U, C, DL/UR, D/R, DR or something like that.
E4: 5.07, I'm coming for that UWR Ollie.

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4.43, 5.68, 5.84, 6.93, 4.65, 6.47, (8.20), 2.53, 5.95, 4.44, 6.77, (1.77) = 5.37

I like it. Only done 1 solve, 20.11. Using corners first an U perms, I suck. I need to learn H/Z/the other U.
CW U perm: M' E' M' E M'
CCW U perm: M E' M E M
H perm: ???
Z perm: ???
E: 19.20
How do other people do it? Does something like Petrus (2x2 -> 2-gen) work?

Solve top layer, solve middle layer, done. You've got the right idea with the M,E stuff, you can do
R' D R D' stuff too to insert middle edges

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
M' R D, 0.69 lol (Edit: lol at the easy scramble, not at the number)

7.75, 5.54, 0.69, 4.98, 3.58, 4.64, 2.67, 3.79, 3.17, 2.96, 4.67, 3.55 = 3.96, about to roll out worst two times.
0.69, 4.98, 3.58, 4.64, 2.67, 3.79, 3.17, 2.96, 4.67, 3.55, 4.59, 4.62 = 3.82

Last edited:

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
An option to select which board size to use instead of having to got through 4x4 to reach 5x5 would be nice.
E; 1:06.78, I'm going to aim for sub-40 on 5x5.
E2: ... didn't realise there could be parity on 5x5 :fp sub-40 may be harder than I thought.
E3: at least it's easy to fix on a 4x4.

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
0.75, 3.24, 1.93, 4.06, 4.45, 3.08, 3.30, 4.87, 3.70, 2.33, 3.95, 3.85 = 3.39 ao12

Definitely not worth the effort put in for the average of 12, but great game :)

edit: 38.63 for 5x5x5
edit2: 29.85
3: 24.08

Last edited: