• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

My lazy M2 approach

MatejMuzatko

WCA
2013MUAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure if I am the only one that uses Lazy M2, but I thought of it independently and on my own...

Set-ups to avoid algorithms
The basic idea is, that I use letter pairs to memorise, and I do set-ups before set of 2 targets. I also use my own plug-in called M', which I will teach you later. Because of that I didn't have to learn any algs. For example, if I get DB edge to solve, I just do B2 and it becomes UB edge. Then I solve 2 targets, thinking of I am solving UB edge, and after 2 targets I undo the set up and move on next letter pair. In some cases I have to think of better set up... E.g. if I get DB -> UB, I do single B move and trace it as RB -> LB

My M' plug-in
Well, I thought, if it is possible to do M2 interchange algorithm with UB target, why couldn't I just do M' interchange with FU target? The only problem is that you have to do M for your next target, but it's not that hard to get used to.
So whenever I have FU in my pair of targets, I use that M' plug-in.

Example solve
If you use the two tricks that I mentioned above together, the method is really tasty. I've used it for couple of months now, and I think it's not that bad :). I will give you example solve, using these methods together, the "big" set ups marked red and "small" set ups marked blue.

Scramble : U2 L' D' B' U D L D F R2 B2 L2 U' F2 U' L2 U' D L2 B2
We need to break to a new cycle in that one.

UB->RU: M2 B' R B M2 B' R' B (classic M2 solution)
RD->BD: B2 U2 U' R2 U M' U' R2 U M U2 B2 (set-up to FU and use M' method)
FR->LU: U' R' F R F' M' F R' F' R M U (the same M' thing)
LF->UF: U2 B L2 B' M2 B L2 B' M2 U2 (set-up to UB and M2 solution)
LB->BR: L' B L B' M2 B L' B' L ! U R' U' M2 U R U' (classic M2)
LD->UB: B L B' M2 B L' B' M2 (classic M2)

Tips
  • Quick trick: Look what M' U2 M U2 and U2 M' U2 M solve and feel free to experiment with it while solving
  • This method is pretty usable for 4BLD wings too. You just have to use some creative set-up for FD. I usually just do l' U2 and set it up to UB, but not in every case.
  • If parity, I add UB target to my edge memo, and URB target to corner memo. Then the parity alg is y L2 (T-Perm) L2. This parity is good, because solving order doesn't matter, so I use it for single and multi too :) you can use any parity you want though.

Please let me know what you think about my method, which I found really cool and really wanted to share it. I am sorry if you had any problems with my english, I am not native, so forgive me any mistakes please :). Feel free to ask me any questions. :)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Nice write up. Just pointing out that normal M2 doesn't really use algs either. UF FU BD DB are all solved with comms usually.

I believe 4bld used to be done with r and r' and floating buffers, so your M'/M is similar there. I would guess it was suggested for 3bld too.

Regardless, nice write up, very easy to follow along.

Tao Yu

WCA
2012YUTA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I used to use this. It's a pretty good stepping stone to 3style edges (if you want a DF buffer). Maybe "Lazy 3style" would be more appropriate. Your M' plugin is basically a commutator.

Lazy m2? Seems a lot like advanced M2 :p

I always thought this method (lazy/advanced M2) was a lot easier than normal M2 lol.

Last edited:

Ollie

WCA
2012FROS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wouldn't call this a method (or lazy anything) as you're just setting up to 3-cycles when you can. Setting up to the M' interchange alg is just one of the many tools used by 3-style solvers, along with advanced M2 and 2-gen algs.

EDIT: oops, just repeated Tao :p