• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Pyraminx, Whats lucky, whats not?

YouTube
Visit Channel
so I've never really had a pyraminx before, only once when i didnt even know how to solve the cube, but it always interested me lately and last night i learned how to solve it, and very fun! so i ordered one and it will be coming soon and i will start getting serious about speedsolving it so i really wanted to know whats qualified as lucky and not lucky on a pyraminx? cause i know thats kind of an issue on this puzzle. thanks!

YouTube
Visit Channel
When you get a solve, you'll realize what makes it lucky...

what? i already learned it and did like a billion solves last night on a simulator. i do corners first then match centers and finish remaining edges in a D layer then U layer type of way but like half of the time or maybe around 35% of the time when inserting D layer edges the top edges get skipped to and small stuff like that, that i dont know if its lucky or not.

F

FU

You can use the guideline that, if a step has more than a 20% chance of being skipped, skipping that step isn't lucky.

YouTube
Visit Channel
alright since we are on the topic of pyraminx too since i dont have one YET i've been just doing tons of solves on a HORRIBLE simulator jpuzzler from mefferts and i was just wonder if anyone knew any good or ANY other pyraminx simulators on the net anywhere? i managed to get 14.70 so far though even on this horrible thing! :D and i KNOW it was totally unlucky too! :)

MasakitChan

what? i already learned it and did like a billion solves last night on a simulator. i do corners first then match centers and finish remaining edges in a D layer then U layer type of way but like half of the time or maybe around 35% of the time when inserting D layer edges the top edges get skipped to and small stuff like that, that i dont know if its lucky or not.
Sometimes when solving a cube when you get an XCross it might be lucky. Sometimes when you're inserting a pair and it's already correct, it might be. Sometimes when you skip an LLL that's the real definition of lucky, because being lucky in this large world of puzzle solving is when you skip ahead what you're supposed to do.

pcharles93

WCA
2008HUYN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
To answer his question instead of replying with scenarios with a 3x3 when he is clearly asking about a pyraminx solve. I consider a pyraminx solve lucky if I A)don't have to flip 2 edges in the last layer or B)only have to flip 2 edges after I skip permuting last layer edges.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi Derrick,

My method is to solve the first layer corners, (tips), then FL edges, and LL edges.
So that is 3 steps. Only skip is lucky I guess. Solves are usually 12-20 moves for me. (So I don't know why I'm averaging about 15 seconds when I can do over 4tps on the Sune.) So any solve less than 10 moves is probably lucky.